Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

34 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You’ve posted and texted numerous times it’s a warm pattern with any sun . So we are in agreement 

I said all we need is sun, but this is why I always say pretty warm colors aloft FTL. These are usually are coldest looks thanks to surface flow off ocean. You can have WAA aloft like we normally do when lows approach, but it’s all about the surface. 

As an aside.......driving through Tolland Thursday early evening around 7:30 PM had the coldest temperatures in the car thermometer.  Mid 40s which was a 30 degree drop from NYC.  Temperatures oscillated within a few degrees of there all the way to Boston.

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

As an aside.......driving through Tolland Thursday early evening around 7:30 PM had the coldest temperatures in the car thermometer.  Mid 40s which was a 30 degree drop from NYC.  Temperatures oscillated within a few degrees of there all the way to Boston.

Today we learned that if the sun shines in May it gets warmer than if its cloudy.  I am better off for that

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, tamarack said:

Not often, and not much recently.  The Northern hardwood forest has been called "asbestos forest", though the softwoods are more vulnerable.  Since I've been in Maine (46 years) only one fire has covered more than 1,000 acres and that was a special case.  3,000 acres in Baxter Park had been flattened by wet snow plus wind in Nov. 1974.  Because of the park's "forever wild" dictum (plus some court action) only the road edges had salvage harvests, and in 1977 that well-seasoned brushpile was ignited, probably by lightning.  Firefighters were forbidden or highly discouraged from using heavy equipment to clear fire lines, so essentially the entire blowdown area burned.

Farther back, a 1965 fire downeast scorched over 10,000 acres and the series of fires in late Oct 1947 covered about 200,000 acres, causing 15 deaths and consuming some million-dollar mansions on Mt. Desert Island.   (If interested, search for "The Week Maine Burned.") 

As for the prescribed burns to clean up, unless there is a safety issue (or why salvage was allowed along the Baxter Park roads), that dead/down material is better left in place, for nutrient cycling and for plants/critters which use the stuff.

Great stuff thank you ! 

On 5/2/2019 at 6:01 AM, moneypitmike said:

Good luck with that 70.  Let me make sure I'm following your post here:

Today goes down hill with the BD

Friday: Rainy/manky 50's

Saturday: cloudy/ 50's

Sunday: rainy/50's

Monday:  maybe some improvement?

Enjoy this summer appeal.

On 5/2/2019 at 6:08 AM, Damage In Tolland said:

Except Saturday is sunny afternoon on and low 70’s.Where are you getting 50’s and rain lol

I guess I missed on my call as it rained lightly much of the morning.  At least I was right with the clouds and 50's.

21 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Glad we don’t live there. Rest of SNE saw partial sun and 60’s and muggy . Not a drop of rain pike south all day 

I just returned from a round-trip out to Shelburne....car showed 62-63 from Montague to Greenfield.  50's east and west.  No sun anywhere, rain/mist half the time.

Also, in Hubb country the trees look like it might as well be December.

I just returned from a round-trip out to Shelburne....car showed 62-63 from Montague to Greenfield.  50's east and west.  No sun anywhere, rain/mist half the time.
Also, in Hubb country the trees look like it might as well be December.
Not sure if anyone north of CT so much sun

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Today we learned that if the sun shines in May it gets warmer than if its cloudy.  I am better off for that

I can’t wait for a snowy stretch with multiple 32/25 type days strung together so that I can say we’re in a warm pattern and that it’s just the clouds and snow keeping us from 45F.