Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

14 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Absolutely no leaf out here.  Yet a trip just 25 miles south towards Brian and the Norways and Forsythia are in bloom.  

Another 40ish day.  At least no complaints about my pond not being full

leaf.jpg

That's due to no willows in the yard.  With aspen having full-length catkins like the one in the center, any willows would be showing first blush.  Other than that, looks about the same as my area, red maples in flower but nothing much happening to other trees.

It has been a good April until recently to be honest. We had a great stretch near mid month. Since about 10 days ago it’s been poop. 

Location, location, location.  April was my cloudiest of 21 and the average max topped only 2007 - and that month featured storms of 18.5" and 11.2" to compensate for the lack of warmth.

4 minutes ago, tamarack said:

That's due to no willows in the yard.  With aspen having full-length catkins like the one in the center, any willows would be showing first blush.  Other than that, looks about the same as my area, red maples in flower but nothing much happening to other trees.

It has been a good April until recently to be honest. We had a great stretch near mid month. Since about 10 days ago it’s been poop. 

Location, location, location.  April was my cloudiest of 21 and the average max topped only 2007 - and that month featured storms of 18.5" and 11.2" to compensate for the lack of warmth.

This april was one of the worst i've seen in a while even by the normal april standards.

kidding but it seems the status of atmospheric sensible affairs is aligned that way... 

and though those sardonic proportions are of course innately hyperbolic .... (that means just for dark humor ), there is, just like in all humor, some semblance of truth to it.  

i've brought this to attention ... well, tried anyway - it seems no one really does pay attention to this ... - but the majority of months since the year 2000 ( 2000! ) have featured less heat near by or over us, relative to the ongoing warming  of the world ...  Consummately published by the NOAA 'state of the climate' monthly press releases... they color code a layout of the world with the standard warm vs cool color palette. 

Not always ...no. But the majority of results show a relative cool region from the NP to the Lakes through NE and SE Canada...and even when not directly over one of those regions and/or shared... there is a cool zone dubiously close by - enough to wonder if stupid things like nocturnal rains skewed data sets faux warmly.    Heh...I guess to be fair, thermodynamic warmth counts too... But, point being, it's like you put money down and you'd win, lots ..., if you bet on whatever is going to happen, it won't be quite as warm as the surrounding planet's warm anomaly, and definitely won't seem that way sensibly.   

... i remember the early days of tech-based climate modeling ... way back when, late 1980s. They were downright primitive by comparison to today's.  Those models were like Atari's "Pong" compared to today's VR .... but, they did predict a relative cool tendency over N/A  ...well, ... It seemed at the time, the culprit was the Pacific ginormous heat stow exhausting into the atmosphere drove tendencies for ridging to punch into the NE Pac  ( pretty much the lower EPO region...) as a forced bias.  The concomitant immediate downstream couple mass-balancing required ( I guess ...) interminable screwing new england out of spring!  ...It's amazing, the whole of GW era histrionics really only exist to to ram-rod this geographic region of the planet.  

• Like 1

Heh... Labia current isn't really the problem...  

The problem is the general systemic support for causing -NAOs and the tendency for cyclones to spin up and whirl through the lower Maritimes... When these occur, this happens: 

image.thumb.png.1ff23aba3a1099f93dc1519815f94502.png

I mean obviously you know that/this ...just annotated for the general audience... Anyway, the Lab can exist in it's cold and we don't have to keep ending up this way in spring... but we are, and granted, its not helping our cause when the above tendency then passes over and couples with that cold heat sink ( no ) ...however, it's not a prerequisite setting this up - it's coming from some kind of global bias/hemispheric systemic circulation tendency ... which I sighted half sarcastically to be a part of GW ....  though there is some semblance of science behind that presumption. 

How about that... eastern CT opened up...  hi res vis loop argues sun spills to the earth there...  Tendency to expand too - 

There's a suggestion here that the BD momentum ( despite the alarmingly suggestive annotation I provide above :) ) is waning.   What's interesting looping ... the strata and fog in Maine is started moving back NE... while the stuff in southern NJ is stationary...That suggests the pulse-source for the overnight acceleration of the BD down the seaboard has stopped.  It's a pooled thing now... 

We'll test the May sun ... 

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

How about that... eastern CT opened up...  hi res vis loop argues sun spills to the earth there...  Tendency to expand too - 

There's a suggestion here that the BD momentum ( despite the alarmingly suggestive annotation I provide above :) ) is waning.   What's interesting looping ... the strata and fog in Maine is started moving back NE... while the stuff in southern NJ is stationary...That suggests the pulse-source for the overnight acceleration of the BD down the seaboard has stopped.  It's a pooled thing now... 

We'll test the May sun ... 

Great post.   Interesting stuff.   It's brightening a bit here as well, but still socked in.  50 degrees and going nowhere.

34 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

kidding but it seems the status of atmospheric sensible affairs is aligned that way... 

and though those sardonic proportions are of course innately hyperbolic .... (that means just for dark humor ), there is, just like in all humor, some semblance of truth to it.  

i've brought this to attention ... well, tried anyway - it seems no one really does pay attention to this ... - but the majority of months since the year 2000 ( 2000! ) have featured less heat near by or over us, relative to the ongoing warming  of the world ...  Consummately published by the NOAA 'state of the climate' monthly press releases... they color code a layout of the world with the standard warm vs cool color palette. 

Not always ...no. But the majority of results show a relative cool region from the NP to the Lakes through NE and SE Canada...and even when not directly over one of those regions and/or shared... there is a cool zone dubiously close by - enough to wonder if stupid things like nocturnal rains skewed data sets faux warmly.    Heh...I guess to be fair, thermodynamic warmth counts too... But, point being, it's like you put money down and you'd win, lots ..., if you bet on whatever is going to happen, it won't be quite as warm as the surrounding planet's warm anomaly, and definitely won't seem that way sensibly.   

... i remember the early days of tech-based climate modeling ... way back when, late 1980s. They were downright primitive by comparison to today's.  Those models were like Atari's "Pong" compared to today's VR .... but, they did predict a relative cool tendency over N/A  ...well, ... It seemed at the time, the culprit was the Pacific ginormous heat stow exhausting into the atmosphere drove tendencies for ridging to punch into the NE Pac  ( pretty much the lower EPO region...) as a forced bias.  The concomitant immediate downstream couple mass-balancing required ( I guess ...) interminable screwing new england out of spring!  ...It's amazing, the whole of GW era histrionics really only exist to to ram-rod this geographic region of the planet.  

This is extremely interesting and the concept makes tremendous sense. From my understanding (and we talked about this a bit in oceanography) one of the major disruptions to the global energy/heat balance is with regards to the transfer of energy from the Pacific to the north pole (just speaking northern hemisphere here). The flux of northward energy has strengthened big time while the southward flux of energy (cooler air to yield the balance) is not as strong...hence the imbalance. This would strengthen the theory for increasing ridging in the EPO ridging which obviously would yield higher potential for a downstream trough...with downstream being our fanny. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

All clouds all day in wct with rain crossing the thruway now. 

A bit brighter here, but agree with that rain pushing northeast, we are doomed for another day of gloom. Yesterday felt great, until the clouds took over mid day...

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

I’m terms of temps we’ve had worse. I enjoyed the nice stretch, but laying the price now. 

BTW, APF says high to Brian. Chilling on the river walk. 

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I’m terms of temps we’ve had worse. I enjoyed the nice stretch, but laying the price now. 

BTW, APF says high to Brian. Chilling on the river walk. 

lol. You guys are in APF now? You should hit Foxboroughs for lunch with fellow New England weenies. We lived in the River Reach complex right next to APF airport. There’s decent shopping downtown there. 

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

lol. You guys are in APF now? You should hit Foxboroughs for lunch with fellow New England weenies. We lived in the River Reach complex right next to APF airport. There’s decent shopping downtown there. 

Yeah immediately noticed money is not a problem here lol. It’s cool though. Nice spot. Just stopped by on way to Marco. Deep summer here.