Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
April 2019 Discussion II

powderfreak

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

This is a really great debate. I'd put the average of my trees at 14.8% leaf out. That's 85.2% leaf in.

0% leaf out here but had to drive into Laconia this morning and such a change, just 25 miles SE and lower in elevation.

Can I score an inch of so of wet snow tonight?  Models say should be something in the higher terrain from about me north..

Heh...High School geography ... but, I remember having to do a report and researching about "old geology" in New England playing a role in limiting flood impacts because of established channeling/landscape morphology over eons. 

There's probably multiple factors..  Youth of land topographic layouts being one.  In the Plains ... that's old land too, but any channeling, I imagine, might be mitigated by the tabular nature of the underlying geology making it harder to establish. 

I've also read that pretty much the entire region astride the Mississippi River for many miles on either side is an effective flood plain ... just waiting for the return rate.  1994 ... took advantage.  Relatives in the Missouri Valley wrote home about driving two-lane roads outside of Joplin Missouri, and having to turn back when nearing a shore where two foot waves crashed over the road surface as it faded away  ....  In the distance, a corn silo, the tops of a couple of distant oak trees and maybe a church steeple were the only objects tall enough to come up for air.  They couldn't see the other side beyond, either.    

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

The last page has to be a top 15 sequence of funnies ever lol. 

The first half of May continues to look ugly 

Yes it does ... 

The problem is that we keep spinning up these vortexes and either parking them in the lower maritimes or when one moves out ...the next just rolls into that region in the means.  So long as that's the case and we keep trying to raise heights over the Mid Atlantic ...what looks initially like a warm pattern ends up opposite - the heights pressing N only enhances confluence over SE Canada and that drives +PP wedging S clear to NJ or the VA Capes...  It seems that result sets up three consecutive times right out to the end of the 15 days of ever GFS runs dating back to Saturday...  

god, you know I hate it when the vagaries of wind and weather wend their way into a pattern that's seemingly deliberately constructed antithetic to spring/warmth, and then won't stop either ... until half the f'ing summer has been gobbled up by it... 

Is that our fate this time?  Where the first chunk of summer gets violated relentlessly until we really only get like a 45 day warm season before the autumn starts claiming days from the other side. Fast approaching mid summer sun angles ... and we're able to debate 1,000 foot elevation cat paws - fuggin straight up insult.   Oh, but rest assured!  We're putting up a 3rd all-time warmest April on the planet Earth all around us while that happens, too - 

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Until it clouds up by 10am and rains.

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Those Cu and TCu over the Spine blocking the afternoon sun on the east side here, stopping high temps at MVL at 86F while it's widespread 90s elsewhere outside the shadow cast by some 30,000ft congestion over the peaks.  

Yep, PF gets it – helps keep the temps closer to glorious than sweltering.  Besides, I thought you met/weenie types liked all sorts of weather, not just those famous sweltering SNE temps and dews that preoccupy the board all summer.

41 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Yep, PF gets it – helps keep the temps closer to glorious than sweltering.  Besides, I thought you met/weenie types liked all sorts of weather, not just those famous sweltering SNE temps and dews that preoccupy the board all summer.

I like days where I can go for a swim and get some color.  

46 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

No discussion of the possible wet slop that may impact as many as a couple hundred people tomorrow in NNE and as many as 2-3 posters here?  :lol:

Euro keeps 850/925 below freezing as precip moves through tomorrow.  Probably a nice 37F white rain in the valleys.

IMG_3051.thumb.PNG.993458de4da213c0a6b4e05d5c18b848.PNGIMG_3052.thumb.PNG.4239985230750feb77eaf4100466d6d8.PNG

Looking forward to picks of wet snow sliding off Subaru’s at Smuggs with a detailed account of every 100’ increase in elevation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Well yeah there's that too. I'm sure we get our own version of the 'once in 500 ... 10,000' year gig going... One can only wonder what the upper limit really is relative to hillier terrain. 

The last significant flood spring I can recall was 2010, March. 4-5" inches per coastal storm, three proper, inside of three weeks tends to send creeks and rivers over b-ful. 

Prior to that ... the 2006 Mother's Day weekend deal in the Merrimack Valley area - I don't know if that particular event really included anywhere else.  Could be wrong but I think that was pretty confined to NE Mass and southern NH associated the Merrimack River getting angry over a cut-off low's inflow channel being aimed right at the White Mountain..  Having graduated from UML, the years I spent there I often wondered if the Pawtucket spill/ledge would ever 'disappear.'  I'd have to revisit the scene 10 years later to see it finally happen... Extraordinary visage... 15 to 20' drop almost level with barely a gravity wave over top-

Enjoying all the flood talk in here today. 2006 was bad up here. The Spicket river had roads closed everywhere in Methuen/Salem NH. Pretty sure I had a lot of days off of school because the High School was being used as a shelter and the buses couldn't run many of there routes.

A kid I went to High School with made this video of it. Excuse the overly dramatic music.....

Incidentally I missed the massive 1,000 year flood in Boulder Colorado in 2013 by only a few days as I was moving back to Mass. I was bummed to not see it as a weather geek but from what my roommates showed me I'm glad at the same time. The house we were living in got hit hard and my room was in the basement which got flooded out.

On another note anyone notice all the Radars went down on weather.gov? Working fine on my phone on RadarScope however.

Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 6.12.43 PM.png

52 minutes ago, KoalaBeer said:

Enjoying all the flood talk in here today. 2006 was bad up here. The Spicket river had roads closed everywhere in Methuen/Salem NH. Pretty sure I had a lot of days off of school because the High School was being used as a shelter and the buses couldn't run many of there routes.

A kid I went to High School with made this video of it. Excuse the overly dramatic music.....

That music for a little stream flood.

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Hey now, we'd have a 40-page thread on here for a sloppy 1-2" if it was in SNE ;).  Can't hate the passion!

Ya we would, this would sadly be a top 10 event for many in SNE if it reaches 2”

i am seriously so over these 50” inch winters with 12 rain storms . Sne climo is sorta sickening to me  

3 hours ago, KoalaBeer said:

Incidentally I missed the massive 1,000 year flood in Boulder Colorado in 2013 by only a few days as I was moving back to Mass. I was bummed to not see it as a weather geek but from what my roommates showed me I'm glad at the same time. The house we were living in got hit hard and my room was in the basement which got flooded out.

On another note anyone notice all the Radars went down on weather.gov? Working fine on my phone on RadarScope however.

Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 6.12.43 PM.png

Lol. Sounds like music from the movie "Requiem For A Dream".

If You're going to go dramatic that is THE go to modern score to use.

• Like 1