Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2019 Discussion II

powderfreak

15 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Yeah, I mean compared to some of the worst flooding in the US, New England isn't really that bad. 

Doesn't have the right topography as the general rule ... There are exceptions of course but by and large there aren't as many runout surface areas that extend distance comparable to areas such as the Midwest, where also flow off rates are slower due to ambient shallow altitude gradient ... word

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

Doesn't have the right topography as the general rule ... There are exceptions of course but by and large there aren't as many runout surface areas that extend distance comparable to areas such as the Midwest, where also flow off rates are slower due to ambient shallow altitude gradient ... word

I feel like we've been pretty lucky too lately. 

36 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Relax. I'm just saying compared to like the 1997 Red River flood, it's not that bad here 

Yeah, the 1955 floods have nothing on that one.  :rolleyes:

https://www.weather.gov/nerfc/hf_august_1955

https://www.usgs.gov/centers/dakota-water/science/red-river-basin-flooding?qt-science_center_objects=0#qt-science_center_objects

Take a look at the CFM flows between the two.

19 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Yeah, I mean compared to some of the worst flooding in the US, New England isn't really that bad. 

Perhaps in terms of annual floods but I think that some of our worst events rank up there with some of the biggest floods in the U.S.  Here's an independent listing of the top 30 floods in the country and 5 of the 30 are floods that happened here:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/economy/2018/07/24/worst-floods-in-american-history/37070093/

24 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

100% leaf out doesn’t mean they are fully out. It means they have leafed out(hence leaves not buds) Man some folks get whooshed.

That's your definition.  No one else goes based on that.  Full leaf out to most people means that the complete leaf is out, not the juvenile version of it.  Did you refer to your kids as adults when they were born?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

leaf out

phrasal verb
leafed outleafing outleafs out

Definition of leaf out

US,  of a tree
to produce leaves The tree will leaf out in the spring.

That's leaf out.  How about full leaf out?  Sure leaves come out in the spring but you refer to it as full leaf out as if the full leaf is out when it's still barely out.

49 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

I think there were 8 fatalities in CT from the event. It is the flood of record for most of the rivers from New Haven to Washington County RI (excluding the Connecticut and Quinebaug). 

Surprised to see the Pawcatuck beat 38 in 2010 even as a tidal river. 

59 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

I think there were 8 fatalities in CT from the event. It is the flood of record for most of the rivers from New Haven to Washington County RI (excluding the Connecticut and Quinebaug). 

I think 1955 may have been worse forbthe Quinebaug; at least the Putnam end

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

She's close.  Mountain looks mid-winter white in this morning's sunshine from town.  Glowing trees and ridgeline.

Yeah, the snow on Camel’s Hump was brilliant this morning, and I can still see that new snow lit up on Mansfield now.  Just remind your wife that in only about a month we’ll be at “full leaf out” in the valleys around here and we’ll essentially be into another glorious NNE summer.  Until then we’ve got tons of snow and nearly limitless opportunities for cardio workouts on the slopes.  I’m guessing she’s not quite as excited as you to get out for turns though.  I couldn’t get my wife or the boys to join me this weekend for skiing, but I had two great tours in all the fresh snow.  That snow came in with essentially perfect timing for the weekend, and it actually looks like there’s a chance for a bit more snow over the next couple of days.

13 hours ago, alex said:

The mountains looked awesome once it “cleared” this afternoon 

7B763174-A401-4A98-B95E-DD1DEBD4997A.jpeg

Signs of spring even there - popple catkins nearly full length.  Not much more than that around here, maybe a bit of green on the willows.

Maine was blasted before your anny storm in 1987 too.

22' above flood stage in Augusta, greatest peak flow ever measured in Maine - 232,000 CFS a few miles north of the city.  After the great Mississippi flood of 1993, I saw a gargantuan number for the peak flow at STL - until I noted it was gallons/day.  Reduced to CFS, it was less than 10X that Kennebec flow, from a catchment area about 150X larger.  Would love to know how much was flowing thru the Chops - exit of Merrymeeting Bay.  With 2 major rivers and several smaller, maybe 400,000?  The Chops narrow down to about 750', so the current must have been impressive.

1 hour ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Still plenty of bare tree's around here as well. My Dogwoods are completely bare.

Same here...but I guess that's the same thing as 100% leaf out?

In my opinion, things don't seem any further along than average...in fact it seems just about where it should be here. Long Long way to go for full coverage that's for sure.  

22 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Same here...but I guess that's the same thing as 100% leaf out?

In my opinion, things don't seem any further along than average...if fact it seems just about where it should be here. Long Long way to go for full coverage that's for sure.  

Most of the trees are in seed, that's the situation with the Oaks on my property. I don't consider that leaf out. It's the same around my neighborhood. Leaf out is in about a week.  The Spring progression towards leaf out seems on time here.

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

Yeah, the snow on Camel’s Hump was brilliant this morning, and I can still see that new snow lit up on Mansfield now.  Just remind your wife that in only about a month we’ll be at “full leaf out” in the valleys around here and we’ll essentially be into another glorious NNE summer.  Until then we’ve got tons of snow and nearly limitless opportunities for cardio workouts on the slopes.  I’m guessing she’s not quite as excited as you to get out for turns though.  I couldn’t get my wife or the boys to join me this weekend for skiing, but I had two great tours in all the fresh snow.  That snow came in with essentially perfect timing for the weekend, and it actually looks like there’s a chance for a bit more snow over the next couple of days.

Until it clouds up by 10am and rains.

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Until it clouds up by 10am and rains.

Those Cu and TCu over the Spine blocking the afternoon sun on the east side here, stopping high temps at MVL at 86F while it's widespread 90s elsewhere outside the shadow cast by some 30,000ft congestion over the peaks.  

4 hours ago, CT Rain said:

I feel like we've been pretty lucky too lately. 

Well yeah there's that too. I'm sure we get our own version of the 'once in 500 ... 10,000' year gig going... One can only wonder what the upper limit really is relative to hillier terrain. 

The last significant flood spring I can recall was 2010, March. 4-5" inches per coastal storm, three proper, inside of three weeks tends to send creeks and rivers over b-ful. 

Prior to that ... the 2006 Mother's Day weekend deal in the Merrimack Valley area - I don't know if that particular event really included anywhere else.  Could be wrong but I think that was pretty confined to NE Mass and southern NH associated the Merrimack River getting angry over a cut-off low's inflow channel being aimed right at the White Mountain..  Having graduated from UML, the years I spent there I often wondered if the Pawtucket spill/ledge would ever 'disappear.'  I'd have to revisit the scene 10 years later to see it finally happen... Extraordinary visage... 15 to 20' drop almost level with barely a gravity wave over top-