Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 2019 Discussion II

powderfreak

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

I know down in Southern New England the forest canopy is leafing out. Up here it looks like late November. Other than green grass you would not know that it's spring. With this pattern I wonder how far we can get into May without Leaf out in Northern New England.

Dismal in upstate NY as well.

Wet snow most of yesterday.  Cold rain most of today.

Grass greening up, enlarging buds on the lilacs but everything else is just brown and gray.

April and May are interminable.

• Like 1

HTFU installment number 1.  Went to Margaretville yesterday, rode a 55 mile group ride with 5000 feet of climbing, five climbs first three on dirt the first with the last half mile averaging 20 percent.  Nearly all the climbing in 35 miles.  Paved descents in graupel was like getting your face shot peened.  Average temperature about 35 degrees, 15-20 mph west wind gusts to 30.

Feeling good about completing it well ahead of several of my club stalwarts until I saw one account.  One guy from the club rode to the ride, did the ride, rode home.  160+ mile day, 10000+ feet climbing, started at 4am home at 5pm.

Yesterday.

I ain't complaining about the weather any time soon.

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

I know down in Southern New England the forest canopy is leafing out. Up here it looks like late November. Other than green grass you would not know that it's spring. With this pattern I wonder how far we can get into May without Leaf out in Northern New England.

Pretty sticky out of maple valleys 

20190428_193620.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

I've been doing a spring time lapse in the woods behind my sugar house in the CT River Valley for my youtube channel and I'm on week 6.  You can see small leaves on red maples and growth coming up from the forest floor but I would say that we are behind here too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=013j_KVXzW0

Here in Stafford it's about a week behind that so hang in there.

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Defintely slowed over last week. Hardwood maples aside from Norway ones still sticks with some buds. Some oak species around me getting tiny leaves, but as I drove around, most oaks are just sticks with some buds too. 

Leafing out pretty good here

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Massive difference between valley and hills . We are 10+ days behind you guys. Lack of snowcover in valley and a much warmer Morch , more direct sunlight and daytime temps that are 6-8 degrees Warmer makes all the difference. 

Was in holland ma today.. massive difference!

8 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Massive difference between valley and hills . We are 10+ days behind you guys. Lack of snowcover in valley and a much warmer Morch , more direct sunlight and daytime temps that are 6-8 degrees Warmer makes all the difference. 

You are getting faked out by those city Norway maples. Where it’s 65 or 72 isn’t going to be a huge difference. And it’s cooler in the valley at night too.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

You are getting faked out by those city Norway maples. Where it’s 65 or 72 isn’t going to be a huge difference. And it’s cooler in the valley at night too.

It’s every tree. Every species is 100% leaf out in valley. Others mentioned it to. They are way ahead. We don’t have those Norway’s here in CT like you do. Not nearly as many

54 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s every tree. Every species is 100% leaf out in valley. Others mentioned it to. They are way ahead. We don’t have those Norway’s here in CT like you do. Not nearly as many

I have a swamp Maple that's still 100% bare as are about 20% of the trees around here. I haven't seen any fully leafed out tree, most are just putting out seed. In nearly 10 year's of living in Coventry at 820', leaf out was around May 5th.