Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 2019 Discussion II

powderfreak

6 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

How high above ground is the beam in Willington? 

A little over 6k' at the center of the beam.  Northern portions of Tolland and Willington are basically the edge of the range.  But it's actually 20km further than the old radar here from 2005-2013.  We can see BDL now which is great, albeit further away than we'd like.

The 3 km NAM is probably doing 3 km NAM things, but it brings me a bona fide wet snow blizzard for a few hours tomorrow AM starting around 10-11z in the comma head with upslope enhancement. Something to watch, but I'll take the under. Regardless, I think there's a good chance for at least a few flakes around here with maybe a slushy inch or two?  

Just now, wxmanmitch said:

The 3 km NAM is probably doing 3 km NAM things, but it brings me a bona fide wet snow blizzard for a few hours tomorrow AM starting around 10-11z in the comma head with upslope enhancement. Something to watch, but I'll take the under. Regardless, I think there's a good chance for at least a few flakes around here with maybe a slushy inch or two?  

Fits with what Coastal mentioned the other day

1 hour ago, radarman said:

A little over 6k' at the center of the beam.  Northern portions of Tolland and Willington are basically the edge of the range.  But it's actually 20km further than the old radar here from 2005-2013.  We can see BDL now which is great, albeit further away than we'd like.

I wish I could get the data in GR!!

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

with such cold low levels, not surprised hail that size makes it to ground. Just imagine how unstable it must be when hail that size makes it to ground at 90/70.

See I thought it would be harder to sustain a strong enough updraft in this air mass long enough to grow hail to that size.  How did that thing not fall to the ground before it weighed that much in this environment?   My severe wx knowledge is limited but I am more stunned that something that big could be floating around in the updraft with these parameters/air mass.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

See I thought it would be harder to sustain a strong enough updraft in this air mass long enough to grow hail to that size.  How did that thing not fall to the ground before it weighed that much in this environment?   My severe wx knowledge is limited but I am more stunned that something that big could be floating around in the updraft with these parameters/air mass.

You had lots of elevated instability. So if LLJ forces parcel to lift above warm front, off she goes. In addition, guidance did show updraft helicity, meaning rotation. Studies show that rotating  updrafts create a pressure gradient in the vertical that further accelerates updrafts. We had that here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2