Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 2019 Discussion II

powderfreak

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Enjoy 3” snowpacks I guess. 

FWIW, my average winter snow cover is 5" with 65 days continuous coverage with a peak of 16".

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

1k in Tolland is a nice place to be to escape the extreme summer heat across most of CT. All of those 95F days at BDL while, sipping on Coronas at 1kft, in the NE hills it's only 89F.

Unless you're on a hilltop, it also generally cools off at night with only a handful of nights 70 or above.  It helps take the edge off of peak climo.  ;)

5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I agree with Pickles about RI beaches.  Best in New England, although I don't know the ones in CT.

Second Beach in Middletown (Sacusett) is my favorite in New England

SW CT beaches suck. Nothing but rocks and floating bandaids.  RI has some great beaches, especially block island. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whineminster said:

Isn't Newfoundland like the wettest and cloudiest place in Canada? Have you been to St. Pierre and Miquelon? 

St johns is the foggiest cloudiest windiest and snowiest city in canada. Not the wettest though. Also has the most hours of freezing rain and drizzle. I havent been to st pierre yet. Its on the list though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

If he wants convection, look to you guys. You’ll get golf balls with dews in the 50s lol. 

Except for the hail-proof square mile in which my home is centered.  There's been significant hail events within a couple miles in every direction, the 8/30/07 tree-killer was less than 10 miles to my SE, but if one collected all the hailstones that have landed on my lawn (60' by 40') over the past 21 years, I think a 2-pound coffee can would hold the lot, and the biggest chunk wouldn't cover a dime.

On another subject, 12z GFS bumped area qpf to 1.5-2.5".  I'll be at a men's retreat at Pittston Farm, 35 miles NW from Greenville, tomorrow thru Saturday noon.  Looks like a wet time, and could be dicey on the 20 miles of woods roads coming south.  (If the event overperforms, even the paved roads may have challenging places.) 

36 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

St johns is the foggiest cloudiest windiest and snowiest city in canada. Not the wettest though. Also has the most hours of freezing rain and drizzle. I havent been to st pierre yet. Its on the list though. 

Wettest is on the BC coast?  And I'm guessing that "snowiest" has a population threshold, like SYR being cited as the snowiest in the US (for cities of 100,000+.)  Does St. John's get the most in NFLD?  More than the east shores of Superior and Huron?

3 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I been to S shore beaches ...they all blow compared to Newport . Not close . Surf is a joke .

pasty Irish folk w SPF 80 , water temps 60 at Best , no babes moo-moo’s and screaming children ...just pitiful 

I like W Falmouth beaches, except for the crowds....water temps sometimes mid-hi 70's, sandy not rocky, etc. 

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Wettest is on the BC coast?  And I'm guessing that "snowiest" has a population threshold, like SYR being cited as the snowiest in the US (for cities of 100,000+.)  Does St. John's get the most in NFLD?  More than the east shores of Superior and Huron?

Yeah snowiest city. Definitely not snowiest place. Snowiest on the Avalon Peninsula but less snowy than much of central and western Newfoundland. Probably less than the east shore of superior but id guess more than off Huron. (Superior Provinicial Park has to be in excess of 200 inches.)  

25 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

Another A+ night, windows open and grill fired up.  55.3

18 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

Thanks, I hope you are having an enjoyable and safe summer too.

When I post that in the summer, some will find it far too cold to be an A+ night ;).  55F at 8pm and 40s in the morning...the horror!  Shut the windows, get the shawls!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

When I post that in the summer, some will find it far too cold to be an A+ night ;).  55F at 8pm and 40s in the morning...the horror!  Shut the windows, get the shawls!

Yeah, summer up there in the high country is high 30s to 50s at night with 60s to maybe up to 80s by day. You'll see an isolated 90/70 but not many. We're still early summer so improvement is coming,

11 hours ago, tamarack said:

2-3 cubs is the norm, but 4s aren't all that unusual and even 5s have been recorded.  Those 2 cubs look like yearlings - ones born this past winter would be housecat-size, or smaller.

Going back through the pictures and videos today there are definitely at least 5 and it almost looked like 3 different sizes.  I assume they must all be the same family?   I definitely will be very careful with compost bins and food items the next few weeks.