Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 2019 Discussion II

powderfreak

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

And just to be clear ... that's sardonic by a goodly measure -

I just find the general "everything is awesome!" tonality to be a bit weighty at times.

Point taken. I was in Epping most of the day, and I think we hit 60 here. DAW and PSM never broke out but many points 10-20 miles south and west squeezed in a nice evening.

Probably narrowly missing substantive positive temperature departures D6 through 11 to rub it in...  

Tele's becoming less reliable ( seasonally ) as the typical disruption to r-wave spacing  during the warm season takes over the hemisphere ... It's still early though.  ... sort of akin to listening for the faint radio signals from the Voyager probes as they are presently nearing and/or passing through the solar heliopause - the amorphous boundary that separates the "bubble" of the sun's influence from truer interstellar space.  Still sorta can be heard...

There's a western trough, eastern ridge couplet signaled ... To varying degrees and polish, showing up in the operational runs, but the CDC would argue for a robuster ridge than the operational runs are willing to construct during said time frame. They are all hell-bent on ablating and beating higher heights down with a resistant N/stream.  Consequentially .. there are episodes of confluent mid levels rollin' over eastern Ontario and Quebec, which would of course ...  KO any hope of warm air succeeding anywhere N of roughly mid Jersey ( most likely ...)   Meanwhile, pervasive +11 to +15 C 850s fills those regions to the sough - we call this the 'na na na-na pattern'  

Meh... can't say that general agonizing look won't happen - this is after all the rub-it-in and make it actually worse than it really has to be by abutting utopia up against our torture cauldron, season anyway... 

Commiseration aside, the CDC behavior with the various domain spaces would actually support a robuster ridge in the east, so we'll see... Sometimes with ridges in mid/late spring they can suddenly balloon - this smacks as one of those times where that's possible ... if perhaps battling climate.   

10 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Everybody was out enjoying the weather today.  This was out behind my house, I counted 5 in total which seems high so I assume it was a mama, yearling and 3 cubs because I would think 4 cubs is very rare and I doubt the 5th was dad. 

bears.thumb.JPG.d6c7887148bbd35c0d0b052526659f83.JPG

I’d be afraid to even go outside and get the mail with them hanging around. 

10 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Everybody was out enjoying the weather today.  This was out behind my house, I counted 5 in total which seems high so I assume it was a mama, yearling and 3 cubs because I would think 4 cubs is very rare and I doubt the 5th was dad. 

bears.thumb.JPG.d6c7887148bbd35c0d0b052526659f83.JPG

2-3 cubs is the norm, but 4s aren't all that unusual and even 5s have been recorded.  Those 2 cubs look like yearlings - ones born this past winter would be housecat-size, or smaller.

Can’t shake the rain though. Gonna be wet next 10 days. Parking lots in Augusta get a continued washing. 

GFS showing widespread 1.5-2" for Fri-Sat, many sites with 1" in 6 hr.  Parking lot flooding won't set any records for height, but might for duration. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

I know. Had the slider open last night. Was in shorts and t-shirt

Monday was the year's first jacketless excursion to reset the max-min at the usual 9 PM obs time.  One more of the many times a 9:01 max spiked a cooler afternoon - 52° "official" while the afternoon failed to top 45.  Been a lot of such over the past 6 months.

17 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Every tree has leafed out valley. Top 10 day 70-77. Even hills red maples came out 

Generally folks who love the s shore in spring and winter have not lived at elevation or inland . Also folks who love s shore beaches usually never grew up going to RI beaches. No comparison for me . But...one can enjoy anything lol.

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Boston has had 17 of 23 days this month with a trace or more of precipitation.  1.98" above normal

Only 15 of 23 here (actually, 16 of 24 with today), but only one of those was "T".  However, up to now it's been nickels/dime - largest 1-day is 0.50" and we're about 0.3" BN so far this month.  Models suggest an abrupt end to BN Friday night.  Also suggest that this month may have the lowest sunshine component of the 21 Aprils here.

15 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Generally folks who love the s shore in spring and winter have not lived at elevation or inland . Also folks who love s shore beaches usually never grew up going to RI beaches. No comparison for me . But...one can enjoy anything lol.

Just me, but I’d never live by the ocean. Too many bad things can happen and all are weather related. Sea breezes, cold springs or summers, mild and rain while just inland snows, cold water killing convection ,no snowpack retention. That’s just way too many negatives for my personal tastes. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Just me, but I’d never live by the ocean. Too many bad things can happen and all are weather related. Sea breezes, cold springs or summers, mild and rain while just inland snows, cold water killing convection ,no snowpack retention. That’s just way too many negatives for my personal tastes. 

I don't get why people do it either...moreso of how prone you set yourself up for destruction. You get people building multi-million dollar houses right along the ocean then get upset when they're destroyed...then they re-build...I mean WTF. I understand people love the view and all that stuff. 

The reasons you mentioned are also why I could never lol. If I do move closer to Branford it certainly won't be in Branford.