Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 2019 Discussion II

powderfreak

9 hours ago, dendrite said:

idk...it was probably snow number 1 for me and extreme temps after that. I was obsessed with numbers when I was youngerso that may have something to do with it. Wx observing and climo data :weenie:

I never had any extreme severe wx growing up so there wasn’t a lot for me to get excited about.

That’s funny. I grew up near a brook and I remember being fascinated how quickly it would rise during heavy rain. So things like storms and big events used to get me excited.  I used to get excited for extremely high temps. Not so much now. 

My interest in weather certainly started with the 38 54 Hurricanes, Texas Tornados stories passed on through Dad and Mom, they were not good stories. 1960 snow is my first childhood memory, staring outside in our newly built unfinished home at heavy snow. First transistor radio had a NWS weather channel, once I found it I was hooked. First grade science project was a monthly daily weather chart. The weenie  interest really started with the Oceans power though. My parents told me that a very early age I would sit for hours at the beach staring at the waves. Understanding how its all connected is fascinating to me.  Growing up on the ocean the weather gave joy and took away joy in so many ways. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Seems like a pretty warm at times humid period over the next 10-14. Growth on everything just exploding.

Amazing the difference from last year, if I recall maples didnt really start until May. Right now many are ready to leaf out...

2 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Amazing the difference from last year, if I recall maples didnt really start until May. Right now many are ready to leaf out...

Yeah and there’s a huge difference valley where I work vs hills at home. Valley is 10 days ahead at least. Most trees have little tiny leaves about to open . Home only the maples have the red buds

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah and there’s a huge difference valley where I work vs hills at home. Valley is 10 days ahead at least. Most trees have little tiny leaves about to open . Home only the maples have the red buds

All the early bulbs are blooming well, last year very little...Even the grass has a deep green look to it, even for mid April. Probably has something to do with all of the rain too...I feel like we were in a 4 year year drought up until last July. Definitely going to be a muggy Spring/Summer if things dont dry out quickly.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Valley city areas have those Norway maples with the green buds. It’s not like there has been a big difference for temps even with elevations. 

In Morch there def was. Lot of cold days hills with milder readings valleys which really makes a difference. There’s a large difference between the two growth wise right now. Can see it here and this is a few days old.

zEMZUKj.jpg

13 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Ask any met and all would harken back to an event that really got them going. I’m sure 99% of any events involved damage. For me it was Hurricane Gloria, although I’m on tape as a 3yr old talking about weather. I don’t wish anything on anyone, but I like awe inspiring events which usually involve damage. That’s me and any met that says otherwise is full of it. Nobody got into this field because of a cold outbreak or heatwave.

For me it was the ice storm N and W of NYC on Jan. 8-9, 1953, which triggered interest in both wx and trees.  Even included a learning experience when we heard that the next town, 250' lower elevation than our place, had plain RA.

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

For me, it was snow. My dad, brother, and I used to stay up late to wait for it and when we had a paper route as kids we’d always get a special breakfast/hot chocolate when we finished work during a snow event.

Then tropical became my thing. I was just in awe of the power and relative unpredictability of it. These days I’m into pretty much anything which is why I’m a year round poster.

Loving tropical can make me feel conflicted at times, especially after having chased and seen damage, but I help where I can and don’t worry about things I can’t control. I think you can be empathetic and still have a strong attraction to extreme weather.

Anyway, I’m heading up to Caribou for the first time this weekend. Not the best wx wise, but it should be good.

Might get some good flood pics.  Earlier this week the ice-jammed Aroostook closed Rt 1 just north of downtown PQI, and that general area looks to get more rain than farther south.

• Thanks 1