• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 2019 Discussion II

powderfreak

We all love and want extreme weather. You don’t want or wish property damage on anyone. But it is a byproduct of the extreme weather we all crave. If someone has 3 canoes swept away, that’s not a big deal . But if those 3 canoes crashed into someone’s picture window and wiped out Granny’s China collection, well that’s a different story .

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

Yes,  he can explain more but the The Ammonoosuc River came up fast overnight and surrounded their one-story cabin with 3 or 4 feet.  They had to be rescued by boat.  They are very nervous in these types of setups it could happen again.

Correct; we had a flash flood last year that got within a foot of the all-time record for the Ammo. Now, I'm actually not that concerned about my life in this upcoming event - why? Because first of all, the only damage was to equipment and basements, and I have flood insurance. My life was never at risk since the water never even made it inside the first floor of my current house, and my new house is being built higher up than that. BUT that said, we didn't know this at the time. I had never been through a flood, let alone here. It was scary because we had been told that this area doesn't flood (lawsuit pending on that), and when you see a wall of water coming at you, rising about 6" every 10 minutes, you have NO idea what to do when you haven't been in it before. We thought we could end up like those people you see on top of a roof - or worse, dead.

While we now know we were never in danger, hindsight is 20/20. Situations like that remind you that those scenes that we see on TV, that seem so distant and unlikely - those are REAL people. We are lucky enough that we could afford to fix the $80,000 or so in damage we received - but not everyone is. And some people do lose their lives, and you could be the next one. There is no point in joking about something that can kill you or your neighbor - at least on a public forum, where your neighbor could be reading. It's OK to wish for snow. It's not OK, in my book, to wish for an accident to kill a family. I would not wish it, and even less would I post it. It's not about thick skin or thin skin, it's about not knowing who you could be upsetting. At least, that's how I choose to live my life and you're all welcome to disagree. We can all joke about KKK and lynching and Auschwitz and raping and child abuse, but why??? Are you really that desperate for attention that you'd rather take the chance of bothering someone than stick to non-hurtful comments (which by the way, this poster had made directly to me before - hence some sensitivity). Are you that dim that you can't find something actually funny to say but still have to post anyways? Once again, it's about how you choose to live your life. But most importantly, this is a weather forum, not comedy central. This poster has yet to make a single worthy weather-related post and has the wit of a 12 year old. I'm not amused, but hey, I've already put him/her on the ignore list, so I'm done caring about it.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, alex said:

Correct; we had a flash flood last year that got within a foot of the all-time record for the Ammo. Now, I'm actually not that concerned about my life in this upcoming event - why? Because first of all, the only damage was to equipment and basements, and I have flood insurance. My life was never at risk since the water never even made it inside the first floor of my current house, and my new house is being built higher up than that. BUT that said, we didn't know this at the time. I had never been through a flood, let alone here. It was scary because we had been told that this area doesn't flood (lawsuit pending on that), and when you see a wall of water coming at you, rising about 6" every 10 minutes, you have NO idea what to do when you haven't been in it before. We thought we could end up like those people you see on top of a roof - or worse, dead.

While we now know we were never in danger, hindsight is 20/20. Situations like that remind you that those scenes that we see on TV, that seem so distant and unlikely - those are REAL people. We are lucky enough that we could afford to fix the $80,000 or so in damage we received - but not everyone is. And some people do lose their lives, and you could be the next one. There is no point in joking about something that can kill you or your neighbor - at least on a public forum, where your neighbor could be reading. It's OK to wish for snow. It's not OK, in my book, to wish for an accident to kill a family. I would not wish it, and even less would I post it. It's not about thick skin or thin skin, it's about not knowing who you could be upsetting. At least, that's how I choose to live my life and you're all welcome to disagree. We can all joke about KKK and lynching and Auschwitz and raping and child abuse, but why??? Are you really that desperate for attention that you'd rather take the chance of bothering someone than stick to non-hurtful comments (which by the way, this poster had made directly to me before - hence some sensitivity). Are you that dim that you can't find something actually funny to say but still have to post anyways? Once again, it's about how you choose to live your life. But most importantly, this is a weather forum, not comedy central. This poster has yet to make a single worthy weather-related post and has the wit of a 12 year old. I'm not amused, but hey, I've already put him/her on the ignore list, so I'm done caring about it.  

Great post

• Confused 1

Extreme weather is certainly fascinating but I no longer have any desire to go through a severe thunderstorm.   I've been at Ground Zero for severe twice and the first time I thought my house was getting crushed the second time I almost had my head taken off by a telephone pole.  All set thanks.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Why in the frig can't posters post Meteorologically sound reasoning and thought process?  So many stupid posts on these boards.  I don't need to spend my time reading jokes.  PM each other and talk about this crap.  

Alex had a devastating near life-threatening situation with his family and property.  I get it.

Move on

It’s the weather off season. Few want to spend their time researching and posting (Tip being an exception) an in depth analysis about an April rainstorm. I get why it matters to those up North with snow melt, but if it ain’t severe or a hurricane chances are few will be posting much in depth analysis past March. 

Personally after winter i kinda enjoy the light hearted banner about swamp azz and HHH , but to each their own. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, alex said:

Which poster did that?  

21 hours ago, Modfan said:

Not so fast, I remember hitting 90 in March and or April in the last 10 years and that being the high temp for the year; so we have had some warm springs

Is that in FL? 
Annual high temps at Farmington co-op, percentages by month:
APR    1.2%
MAY  10.3%
JUN   25.1%
JUL   41.0%
AUG  17.1%
SEP    5.3%
April-June over-represented compared to how often they reach 90+, August/Sept under-repped, July right at par. 

52 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Which poster did that?  

No one, but also everyone, ha.  If I were to guess...

One could say all the hanging from the rafters posts are discussing suicide or lynchings...tons of rape jokes about Mother Nature butt banging weenies with the cosmic dildos...child abuse jokes after a bad Euro run where so and so gets whiffed on that run so they are yelling and throwing things at the wife and kids... etc

It does take some work to get to those connections.  

In today's world though connections can be made to anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m still cleaning up from the 05/18 EF1 so yea it sucks when extreme affects your livelyhood. But none of us really wish it on each other. Alex went a liitle off the deep end there. I mean lynching and gas chambers.....easy there bud.

Today is a perfect example that temps in spring don’t mean much. All about cloud cover and precip. So when you look back at April and post an AN temp map, it’s fake news. Month has been subpar overall. Yea some good days but too many bad ones....so far.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I’m still cleaning up from the 05/18 EF1 so yea it sucks when extreme affects your livelyhood. But none of us really wish it on each other. Alex went a liitle off the deep end there. I mean lynching and gas chambers.....easy there bud.

Today is a perfect example that temps in spring don’t mean much. All about cloud cover and precip. So when you look back at April and post an AN temp map, it’s fake news. Month has been subpar overall. Yea some good days but too many bad ones....so far.

Sorry if it wasn't clear. I wasn't saying people HERE make fun of lynching and gas chambers, but in today's environment, it's becoming more and more OK to say whatever one wants with no respect for what it means to others - and there are plenty of things on this board that are said that really shouldn't, as PF pointed out. We as a society are as divided and nonchalant about other people's suffering as ever. We shouldn't be. My message was in response to people saying "oh, it's all good, he was just joking." There are things that people shouldn't joke about. Other people's pain is not something we should joke about, whether it's the pain of 3 million people or the pain of a single person. You may think that's off the deep end, I think it's civility and at this point in history, we can all use a little bit more of it. 

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We all love and want extreme weather. You don’t want or wish property damage on anyone. But it is a byproduct of the extreme weather we all crave. If someone has 3 canoes swept away, that’s not a big deal . But if those 3 canoes crashed into someone’s picture window and wiped out Granny’s China collection, well that’s a different story .

It is perfectly okay to wish for coastal flooding with ruined homes and beaches, car/truck pileup on interstates with injuries and fatalities, people frozen to death on the streets because they're homeless. Literally wishing model run after run for that perfect 960mb stalled at 40/70

But make one post about a flood or a strong banger and you're the devil

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Personally I'm rooting for a direct hit X9 Solar flare. 

Apparently ice core samples suggest the sun was muuuch more active up until 10K years ago and extreme CMEs, the sort that would set us back decades, were relatively commonplace. We narrowly missed another Carrington event in 2012, if I recall rightly.

22 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

It is perfectly okay to wish for coastal flooding with ruined homes and beaches, car/truck pileup on interstates with injuries and fatalities, people frozen to death on the streets because they're homeless. Literally wishing model run after run for that perfect 960mb stalled at 40/70

Dr Mildew?

7 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Apparently ice core samples suggest the sun was muuuch more active up until 10K years ago and extreme CMEs, the sort that would set us back decades, were relatively commonplace. We narrowly missed another Carrington event in 2012, if I recall rightly.

I believe we are entering a grand solar minimum which is kind of the opposite.   Hopefully  get a repeat of the Maunder Minimum and start getting a new mini Ice Age underway.  

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Is that in FL? 
Annual high temps at Farmington co-op, percentages by month:
APR    1.2%
MAY  10.3%
JUN   25.1%
JUL   41.0%
AUG  17.1%
SEP    5.3%
April-June over-represented compared to how often they reach 90+, August/Sept under-repped, July right at par. 

No, NE CT

30 minutes ago, alex said:

Sorry if it wasn't clear. I wasn't saying people HERE make fun of lynching and gas chambers, but in today's environment, it's becoming more and more OK to say whatever one wants with no respect for what it means to others - and there are plenty of things on this board that are said that really shouldn't, as PF pointed out. We as a society are as divided and nonchalant about other people's suffering as ever. We shouldn't be. My message was in response to people saying "oh, it's all good, he was just joking." There are things that people shouldn't joke about. Other people's pain is not something we should joke about, whether it's the pain of 3 million people or the pain of a single person. You may think that's off the deep end, I think it's civility and at this point in history, we can all use a little bit more of it. 

No, I get it and while you’re justifiably right....I’m not sure how you got to all of this from someone posting about a floating canoe bypassing a home. Anyway, the world is complicated and while there will always be bad, I see more good. The news likes to show the doom and gloom, the divided. There is tons of civility, I don’t think ‘we need it now more than ever’. We always do, it’s never enough. Society progresses, moves forward, but it’s never a linear progression or as fast as we like it. You would say during WW2 that ‘we need civility more than ever’ or during slavery or Jim Crow or Vietnam.....etc etc etc. Now those were ‘un civil times’. The negative stuff nowadays sucks but we are much better off than we were decades and centuries ago. 

So....Stay positive friends. 

43 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

Nope you're wrong.  That 960mb should be stalled over BOS.  Get it straight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

You just have to know that no one is serious on the forum.  No one is wishing bad things to their fellow posters but exciting weather trumps all.

Ask any met and all would harken back to an event that really got them going. I’m sure 99% of any events involved damage. For me it was Hurricane Gloria, although I’m on tape as a 3yr old talking about weather. I don’t wish anything on anyone, but I like awe inspiring events which usually involve damage. That’s me and any met that says otherwise is full of it. Nobody got into this field because of a cold outbreak or heatwave.

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

No, I get it and while you’re justifiably right....I’m not sure how you got to all of this from someone posting about a floating canoe bypassing a home. Anyway, the world is complicated and while there will always be bad, I see more good. The news likes to show the doom and gloom, the divided. There is tons of civility, I don’t think ‘we need it now more than ever’. We always do, it’s never enough. Society progresses, moves forward, but it’s never a linear progression or as fast as we like it. You would say during WW2 that ‘we need civility more than ever’ or during slavery or Jim Crow or Vietnam.....etc etc etc. Now those were ‘un civil times’. The negative stuff nowadays sucks but we are much better off than we were decades and centuries ago. 

So....Stay positive friends. 

Everyone in the world has been effected and pained by every single weather event we follow track and are enthused by . Every single weather event has effected someone horribly . Take a moment and think about that .This world has gotten more politically correct than ever  . It’s just that now some people are getting upset over anything ...I.E “baby it’s cold outside” pulled from the radio.. to each their own ...but people would cope better if there wasn’t such a premium on being offended. I am going beyond this weather board and I’m not speaking directly to anyone here this is Just what I see and what gets ratings . 

TRuthfully If I was effected by something like a hurricane where someone close to me was hurt and then someone posted about wanting a hurricane I would understand they are not cheering for my discomfort and someone’s death. * Unless of course i didn’t like the poster than i May choose to interpret something they said in a way That fuels that opinion * or maybe if I liked them I would decide not to comment and give them benefit of Doubt that it was innocent natured . . . Otherwise you go down a slippery slope where you are on egg shells enjoyunf anything at all weather related (anything) and nobody here is doing that 

• Like 1