• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 14-15 Snow Potential

Hoosier

Fatties have resumed, but this burst won't last too long.

Don't have nearly what you guys to my north/west have but this is still enough to be the most snow I have personally witnessed this late in the season.  And the rates rivaled anything that occurred this winter.

Like a mid January snow...decent backwash snows putting down a new layer of white. BTW...I never trust the Chicago measurements esp. after the terrible job they did on this storm..the night crew for Friday, Saturday particularly struggled. If only they had rode the forecast and trends they were given by the afternoon shift. But not making changes once it was clear what was going on today was really bizarre.

28 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

ORD up to 5.3”

One tenth away from that daily mark in 1961.

Here's the list for any calendar day in April.  Really shows the hostility of climo after the first week of the month.

4/5/1982:  9.4"

4/2/1975:  9.4"

4/6/1938:  9.0"

4/1/1970:  8.2"

4/4/1920:  6.4"

4/16/1961:  5.4"

4/14/2019:  5.3"

4/2/1926:  4.6"

4/8/1938:  4.5"

4/1/1993:  3.7"

4/23/1967:  3.1"

Very impressive system indeed.  This time last night I had no idea what to expect here, as there was so much variability in the short-range guidance.  We didn't get in on the accumulating snow, but it did snow lightly for several hours.  Was actually pretty interesting being on the fringe.  We've benefited all winter at being on the right side of those sharp cutoffs, so just missing out on this system wasn't difficult to take by any means.  

8 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I was curious what downtown Chicago looks like.  Webcams from there show mainly wet roads, certainly a big difference compared to outside the core of the city.

Main roads were wet all day.

Secondary roads were slushy.

Snow didn’t stop the boat tours. Haha.

B1D9FD25-3005-43FA-BF82-AC653BE07C44.jpeg

Back home from the Bucks with a fellow board member.  Definitely a storm to remember along with last weeks event it will go down as two of my top 5  most enjoyable events in a while.  No pixie what so ever.  Really didn't except much from today's and I think the GFS for a couple runs leading up to today had us shut out. She was blowing pretty good yet and even drifting along with filling of the ditches on the e/w  road I live on. Power went out around 7:30 the wife said for a few mins.

Road was plowed clear pretty good when I left at around 4:15 and it looked like this when returning at around 9:45

0006.jpg

0008.jpg

0009.jpg

0007.jpg

• Like 2

3.6"   but 4" on the ground.   Trash.  Its a shame the storm totals have no truth to them ever at the airport.

0700 PM SNOW 1 SW SAINT FRANCIS 42.96N 87.90W   04/14/2019 M3.6 INCH MILWAUKEE WI OFFICIAL NWS OBS    

MILWAUKEE MITCHELL AIRPORT STORM TOTAL AS OF   7 PM CDT. 0.35 INCHES LIQUID WATER   EQUIVALENT, AND 4 INCHES ON THE GROUND.  

35 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

3.6"   but 4" on the ground.   Trash.  Its a shame the storm totals have no truth to them ever at the airport.

0700 PM SNOW 1 SW SAINT FRANCIS 42.96N 87.90W   04/14/2019 M3.6 INCH MILWAUKEE WI OFFICIAL NWS OBS    

MILWAUKEE MITCHELL AIRPORT STORM TOTAL AS OF   7 PM CDT. 0.35 INCHES LIQUID WATER   EQUIVALENT, AND 4 INCHES ON THE GROUND.  

Snow on the ground is rounded to the nearest inch.  3.6” would round up to 4”.  They also might have gotten another half inch to inch after 7 pm. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UMB WX said:

I'm an observer at Mitchell, that's why I moved here. We take our snow measurements very seriously. Unfortunately, we don't have a good place to measure as our snow boards are obstructed by buildings.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UMB WX said:

Snow depth is always rounded up or down to the nearest inch. So 3.6 on the ground would be called 4.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, H2Otown_WX said:

I'm an observer at Mitchell, that's why I moved here. We take our snow measurements very seriously. Unfortunately, we don't have a good place to measure as our snow boards are obstructed by buildings.

Congratulations and welcome! Good to hear there is an observer now.  Pretty sure that hasn't been the case for many yrs prior  and their accuracy/guessing on totals was atrocious.

• Thanks 1

Nice to see the 4.9" in the climate summary books. The 3.6" total report I criticized just seemed like another inaccurate guesstimate and the same ole raise an eyebrow to the quality and accuracy being put in to the records over the years at the airport.

1 hour ago, UMB WX said:

Congratulations and welcome! Good to hear there is an observer now.  Pretty sure that hasn't been the case for many yrs prior  and their accuracy/guessing on totals was atrocious.

The national weather service is moving more towards paid snow observers for official climate sites.  Many times they do the best they can with where they have to measure.  That said, I don't ever foresee a time when we go to automated snowfall measurements or where there is not human error in snowfall.

7 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Is there a lot of melting going on in the Chicago area ?

Yes, full sunshine all day and up to 50 now. I had 5” yesterday, which compacted to 3” by this morning. Now, only the shaded areas have snow remaining. 

UHI doesn’t help either.

Not complaining or anything, as this was completely expected. :)

• Like 2