• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 14-15 Snow Potential

Hoosier

On my way home from Lake Geneva currently.

Stuck on Rt 31, just north of Rt 176 due to multiple accidents and cars not being able to make it up the hill.

Awful hill there for this kind of storm. I will take this for a non-advisory level storm any day.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

On my way home from Lake Geneva currently.

Stuck on Rt 31, just north of Rt 176 due to multiple accidents and cars not being able to make it up the hill.

Getting close to my area

In talking to some friends, no one had any idea this was coming. Most of them expected some flurries. 

As was stated earlier, LOT did a real terrible job outlining the risks to the general public. Even the message to those who read the AFD’s was whipping back and forth. 

That being said, this is an epic April event. 

Trees are really weighed down, power flickering on and off, looks like about 4” so far and accumulating on everything. Roads are clearly a mess if you look at traffic on Google Maps. The models were pretty consistent for days, I’m not sure why LOT has held off.

973BC2B1-3F3A-4C58-A7EC-31624B568573.jpeg

13 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

In talking to some friends, no one had any idea this was coming. Most of them expected some flurries. 

As was stated earlier, LOT did a real terrible job outlining the risks to the general public. Even the message to those who read the AFD’s was whipping back and forth. 

I think they might have been quicker to issue an advisory had it been a weekday.  I also think that the lack of experience with mid April snows of this amount could have played a role in being hesitant.  This is an outlier in terms of climo.  Models did do a good job though in general in showing the potential.  

14 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

I’m at work and everyone who’s came in seems shocked. I’ve had many “they didn’t put THIS in the forecast!” 

One of these days maybe the “warm ground/sun angle” crutch will die. Fact of the matter is, snowfall rates trump those factors...like today. Alas, it’ll be the same old thing next season with the early events...

Got a pretty good layer of IP/snow on elevated surfaces here. Never enough of precip type at once, to get anything really fun I guess. :lol:

• Like 2

Still snowing here but now it is melting faster than it is falling. Max depth I got to was about 3" of total slush. Lots of small branches down. It is supposed to be 75F just two days from now. :blink:

The first snow of the season was October 12, which was over 6 months ago. I normally would be unhappy about snow this late in the season, but the sheer intensity of it at this time of the year was actually pretty cool. Also unlike last April, there is warm weather immediately ahead. I really hope this was the last snow of the season though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

One of these days maybe the “warm ground/sun angle” crutch will die. Fact of the matter is, snowfall rates trump those factors...like today. Alas, it’ll be the same old thing next season with the early events...

Got a pretty good layer of IP/snow on elevated surfaces here. Never enough of precip type at once, to get anything really fun I guess. :lol:

Like I said, there is something particularly cruel about sleet at this time of year.  

Just think, 70 in 2 days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Looks like a shutout here.  Gonna blast east into the back edge of the snow and say my farewell to snow for the season.  Should only be about a 30 minute drive.

On March 31st while battling a nasty stomach virus I forced myself to go to the park for a bit to enjoy the snow, assuming it would be a farewell to scenic snow for the season. I would have done the same thing you did today if it was a 30 minute drive lol