• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 13th-14th Severe Threat

andyhb

I wouldn't be surprised if we got a long lead-time, long duration PDS watch across the moderate risk area soon. The parameters in place are already INSANE across  NE TX and LA. Mesoscale analysis on the SPC page is showing 50-60kt bulk shear, 3,000-4,000 CAPE, with effective helicity values of 400-600 across most of the open warm sector. https://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=18#

The only things that stand out as keeping this from a potential high risk IMO is: 1) too many storms across the warm sector in LA. We're definitely going to see a few intense supercells, but those unorganized storms going up in LA could keep a lid on the number of storms that could become discrete or semi discrete. 2) How far north the warm front goes. The parameters near and south of the warm front are very high end, but to get high risk coverage, it will need to move a quite a bit further north from where it is now. 

Low and mid level helicity is off the charts in the affected area.  Question is if there is enough low level moisture to drop a tornado as we have a slowly moving warm front.  The trough needs to do some kicking if we want the front to advance northward in a more rapid fashion.  Otherwise central and perhaps south LA might have a greater threat than originally anticipated.

Regarding the main risk area a bit further to the east: that grungy stuff in LA is going to have a hard time organizing. Something might organize and become dominant, but hard to see several cells breaking out of that.

I'd keep an eye on that area of clearing NE of Houston to the LA border for more discrete development ATM.

Unsure how today is going to pan out further east. As I feared, lack of strong capping has lead to persistent storms all day and has held the warm front further south. Very unstable south of there. Not sure we're going to see the prime overlap of the highest instability and best shear. Hrrr still wanting to ramp things up later in northeast LA and western MS. Just everything is very disorganized now. Texas has been the hot spot so far today

2 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Unsure how today is going to pan out further east. As I feared, lack of strong capping has lead to persistent storms all day and has held the warm front further south. Very unstable south of there. Not sure we're going to see the prime overlap of the highest instability and best shear. Hrrr still wanting to ramp things up later in northeast LA and western MS. Just everything is very disorganized now. Texas has been the hot spot so far today 

Lots of clearing along the MS river.  West of Alexandria has been cloudy all day. The crapvaction line looks more discrete than it did a few hours ago so it may produce eventually, especially near the MS river.

5 minutes ago, canderson said:

That storm between Cushing and Reklaw looks incredibly violent. It’s a very very rural region thankfully.   

Tornado warning at Trawick, TX (SE of Cushing). This one, if it is a tornado, may not be rain-wrapped like some others.

My attention is on the cell near Alexandria. Meso still taking shape upstairs, but it's noticeably more isolated/robust than everything around it and heading towards the pristine delta region.

EDIT: The next few scans have continued to increase meso intensity, tighten it, and inflow/low level rotation is now increasing as well. This one could be a mean one.

94958130d35960e34e20f2fe87848b86.jpg

• Like 1

Outflow reinforced cold front looks like it'll quickly clear most of SE TX out of the threat area.
They've cancelled the tornado watch for the northwestern portion the Houston area.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk