• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
OBS thread 9A today-midnight tonight April 5, 2019

wdrag

Good Friday morning, not much snow or sleet expected today but prolonged icing on trees/wires and untreated pavements foreseen for elevations above 1000 feet this afternoon-evening, especially Sussex County NJ into se NYS.  Another marginal event but its definitely going to be cold. Here in Wantage NJ at 740'MSL at 720AM its still 32F with a very low dew point.  It's been snowing a bit in Hazleton  and Lehighton PA and now icing in Williamsport.  

2 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Well, I can add another 0.4" to my season snow total...

Back to mostly rain now.

I've got snow going now, it's accumulating on the sleet that accumulated earlier. Tough to measure little patches though, just say it doesn't look very springlike out there right now.

I saw sleet, ice pellets and snowflakes all the way down into northern NJ along the Palisades and then it was sleet snow through Bear Mt and all sleet by the time I got here in the eastern hinterlands around 6. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I've got snow going now, it's accumulating on the sleet that accumulated earlier. Tough to measure little patches though, just say it doesn't look very springlike out there right now.

I saw sleet, ice pellets and snowflakes all the way down into northern NJ along the Palisades and then it was sleet snow through Bear Mt and all sleet by the time I got here in the eastern hinterlands around 6. 

I measured on top of my BBQ grill. My measuring board has already been repurposed for gardening uses, as is customary by early, so no help there. Normally I'd DQ an elevated metal surface as a viable measuring spot, but seeing as it snowed hard enough to stick to roofs and even roadway shoulders in the daytime in April, I don't consider it hugely exaggerated in this case.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

I measured on top of my BBQ grill. My measuring board has already been repurposed for gardening uses, as is customary by early, so no help there. Normally I'd DQ an elevated metal surface as a viable measuring spot, but seeing as it snowed hard enough to stick to roofs and even roadway shoulders in the daytime in April, I don't consider it hugely exaggerated in this case.

I always knew you were a slant sticker, might as well just go with eyeball measurements now....I have a little pile of sleet and snow piled up against the north side of one of my sugar maples, so I’m going with .2 here then..., :sled:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I always knew you were a slant sticker, might as well just go with eyeball measurements now....I have a little pile of sleet and snow piled up against the north side of one of my sugar maples, so I’m going with .2 here then..., :sled:

Yeah the north side of the cars in the driveway still has a white coating on the ground so I'll go with .2 also. Just because...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wrapping up... Trace ice pellets/snow here at our home in Wantage though could have opted for 0.1 but was conservative since less than 50% coverage.  NOHRSC totals of sleet/snow through their interp program... attached only through 8PM last evening.  Thanks for participating in this thread.  I dont think we're yet done, with the NAO steep decline and then eventual bounce back and associated NAEFS d8-14 chilling ne USA.  It's late season junk for most...but snow is beautiful to see. Probably won't initiate any more Obs threads unless it looks good for measurable... waited to the last minute for this one. Was in GA for the March 21-22 distant suburbs snow...right near where the Tybee Island Tornado is described in the February 2019 BAMS. 928A/6. 

Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 6.58.25 AM.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

9 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Yeah the north side of the cars in the driveway still has a white coating on the ground so I'll go with .2 also. Just because...

That's the spirit!

• Like 2

A little late but I had 0.5 here...came down pretty hard with big flakes...went to buy more ketchup and took a picture at Wal Mart at the height of it. Awesome winter locally, now near 60", was clutch since 2018 was a downslope fest in Ulster. Think the key for absolute zero elevation is no snow in March.

Screenshot_20190409-102429.png

• Like 1