Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
SNE "Tropical" Season Discussion 2019

Torch Tiger

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Yes because both scenarios/setups are exactly the same. :rolleyes: 

Well we know they aren't the same...but the point remains not to trust any one depiction too much at this stage.  Certainly an interesting development overnight...but buying in to something like this at this stage, is not prudent yet.

Not sure what the other Mets feel about this new "Bahama bomber" potential ... but the more I look over things, this appears to be a greater confidence that a TC will be handled, with limited/no confidence should the former actually happen... 

That is a highly unusual total handling in the larger synoptic scope/evolution ...noooot typically how we get a TC to run the course up the Eastern Seaboard.   In fact, not many climate players are really even identifiable. 

Typology:   ...just off the top of memory... 

1  .. there is usually a 300 to 200 mb escape jet running ENE over/out of the NE U.S. region

2  .. some form of negative anomaly is settling into the 90W-80W region nearing mid latitudes over eastern N/A

3  .. some form of blocking ridge ( be it anchored in planetary wave and/or nodal cut-off ...) is lingering between 60W and 70 W over the western Atlantic Basin.  

... We really only vaguely at best can identify these structures in whole based upon the operational Euro from D3.5 through D8...  What the Euro is attempting to do, is pin the fledgling cyclone near the vicinity of the Bahamas and bide time ... waiting to evolve ridging and associate lower tropospheric surface +PP N of the system.  This lobes over the top, ...finally, out there in the inherently less likely to even verify time frame ( anyway )  the western side of that configuration at last happens to set up a steering field to finally bring it up the coast.  ... I mean, objectively, you see where I'm going...?   I'd put this entirety at low likeliness at best. 

I suppose it is not impossible.. Fact of that matter, the models don't "really" model things that are "im"possible.  Perhaps less likely ...sure..  for whatever reason. 

Anyway, I'd more inclined to suggest that if said ridging does lobe over top like that ...this thing might end up bumped agonizingly slowly into the interior SE somewhere ... 

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Not sure what the other Mets feel about this new "Bahama bomber" potential ... but the more I look over things, this appears to be a greater confidence that a TC will be handled, much less so in any track guidance type of scenario should former happen... 

That is a highly unusual total handling in the larger synoptic scope/evolution ...noooot typically how we get a TC to run the course up the Eastern Seaboard.   In fact, not many climate players are really even identifiable. 

Typology:   ...just off the top of memory... 

1  .. there is usually a 300 to 200 mb escape jet running ENE over/out of the NE U.S. region

2  .. some form of negative anomaly is settling into the 90W-80W region nearing mid latitudes over eastern N/A

3  .. some form of blocking ridge ( be it anchored in planetary wave and/or nodal cut-off ...) is lingering between 60W and 70 W over the western Atlantic Basin.  

... We really only vaguely at best can identify these structures in whole based upon the operational Euro from D3.5 through D8...  What the Euro is attempting to do, is pin the fledgling cyclone near the vicinity of the Bahamas and bide time ... waiting to evolve ridging and associate lower tropospheric surface +PP N of the system.  This lobes over the top, ...finally, out there in the inherently less likely to even verify time frame ( anyway )  the western side of that configuration at last happens to set up a steering field to finally bring it up the coast.  ... I mean, objectively, you see where I'm going...?   

Not impossible.. Fact of that matter, the models don't "really" model things that are "im"possible.  Perhaps less likely ...sure..  for whatever reason.  I put this entirety at low likeliness at best. 

Anyway, I'd more inclined to suggest that if said ridging does lobe over top like that ...this thing might end up bumped agonizingly slowly into the interior SE somewhere ... 

I think anybody who is even remotely interested in Meteorology, and hasn't been living under a Rock for the last 30 years, would put this at a "Low Probability of it getting up the east coast to threaten the Northeast; even without considering all that you just mentioned.  But your analysis just makes it that much more clear how little chance this has of getting up here.

These next 14-days are going to be extremely intriguing and the east coast should be on heightened alert. Environmental conditions across the Caribbean, adjacent Atlantic waters, and in the Gulf of Mexico will be favorable for TC development and strengthening. when it comes to the east coast, it's very hard to say with certainty what we're looking at, but many of the signals within the medium to long-range are a little on the concerning side. All the pieces you want to see for an east coast threat are there, however, we don't know how they'll evolve. Given those pieces are there though...this needs to be watched extremely closely. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

These next 14-days are going to be extremely intriguing and the east coast should be on heightened alert. Environmental conditions across the Caribbean, adjacent Atlantic waters, and in the Gulf of Mexico will be favorable for TC development and strengthening. when it comes to the east coast, it's very hard to say with certainty what we're looking at, but many of the signals within the medium to long-range are a little on the concerning side. All the pieces you want to see for an east coast threat are there, however, we don't know how they'll evolve. Given those pieces are there though...this needs to be watched extremely closely. 

Just in time for the peak of hurricane season.

43 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

This. Start broadly and hone in on details once something pops a well defined center. 

I'll probably be the first to right off SNE right off the bat like 99.9% of the time...hell...a few years back that Hurricane (forget which one) where it was 3-days out and some models had it coming to us I told people at school we had no shot.

Anyways...this is just entirely different...there are too many signals which allude to not writing this off. Even if it's like a 10% chance...that's much higher than usual. 

28 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Just in time for the peak of hurricane season.

climo FTW

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I'll probably be the first to right off SNE right off the bat like 99.9% of the time...hell...a few years back that Hurricane (forget which one) where it was 3-days out and some models had it coming to us I told people at school we had no shot.

Anyways...this is just entirely different...there are too many signals which allude to not writing this off. Even if it's like a 10% chance...that's much higher than usual. 

climo FTW

Hermine? The one that sat south of LI and spun itself out? Or maybe the J storm in 2017, whatever its name was...

Yeah Jose. 

What's funny is I think that ended up being a "closer call" after the fujiwara :lol:

Anyways what makes me nervous about this is the lead time to warn people may not be very much..not saying anything major is going to happen but this is a perfect place to bring up the topic. 

If/when we do get a big hit...the chaos alone is going to be disastrous. You would hope there could be a good 7-8 day lead time...but realistically the lead time may only be 3-4 days...that's just not enough.