Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
SNE "Tropical" Season Discussion 2019

Torch Tiger

2 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

I don't either, I gained a different perspective on destruction after the EF-1 tornado that lasted five minutes here in Harwich.  The day without power.  It was long enough without technology.  I just hate that.  I want to watch the Patriots.

yeap, I had no power for 2 weeks after Andrew.. sucks.. but I bet ice storms have to be the worst.. no power for 1-2 weeks in mid winter blows.

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Of course nobody wants to see anything bad happen to someone or people suffering. However, I didn't get into weather because of partly sunny skies with temps in the 70s.

This.   Perfectly Put.  

Bring the Canes for heaven sakes....Can we get just one good one to satisfy all of our lust for some excitement.  Humberto(or whatever the next one in the pipelines name is) your invited to SNE.  

11 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

I don't either, I gained a different perspective on destruction after the EF-1 tornado that lasted five minutes here in Harwich.  The day without power.  It was long enough without technology.  I just hate that.  I want to watch the Patriots.

Holy cow James, you go from one extreme to the other....no middle ground I guess.  I think I liked the "total destruction with every storm" James better.  

15 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

"The Day Without Power". That could be your next novel, dude!

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

i don't know how weather people in San Diego deal with it.

People have keyed an entertainment/"joy" circuitry into the specter of weather/naturally occurring drama. 

I'm not lamb-basting you per se  ...but people live and breath and are quite happy ( or not...) in San Diego, where the weather is uninspired in those ways, just fine.  And neither state of happiness or sadness has anything to do with big storms and such... That's the evidence - weather matters specifically for whatever specific reason, to those ...in here.  

I agree with Scott though - ... it's rooted in the greater/better capacity for human curiosity, really.  We have to understand curiosity from a ...evolutionary perspective, for lack of better phrase.  Human curiosity evolved as a mechanism to enhance their survival?   Boom, what was that?   ...go see... boom coming, move tribe.  Boom not coming.... either way, tribe survives. Other animals 'get out of the way' but, we just do it with vastly more sophistication.  And that investigation isn't taking place without the boom, first.  In deference to Scott's context, it's hard to hear booms on 78 degree laze faire weather days. 

See... it is possible to want to experience these big things without also wanting to see people get harmed.   You have to do the former to understand how the latter - that's really why the dichotomy exists. 

But... I do take exception at time with the 'joy' loss --> pissing and moaning thing.  That closed lust is more of a perversion of the above virtue -

7 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Well it's game on. I was hoping for the best but it seems mother nature has other ideas.

Juan - "I am the most destructive Hurricane to hit Nova Scotia". Dorian - "hold me beer"

I'll try and gets pics and any major updates for as long as I can.

Good luck and stay safe,  we have family in Darthmouth, PEI, and NB so hopefully everyone makes it ok

12 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

People have keyed an entertainment/"joy" circuitry into the specter of weather/naturally occurring drama. 

I'm not lamb-basting you per se  ...but people live and breath and are quite happy ( or not...) in San Diego, where the weather is uninspired in those ways, just fine.  And neither state of happiness or sadness has anything to do with big storms and such... That's the evidence - weather matters specifically for whatever specific reason, to those ...in here.  

I agree with Scott though - ... it's rooted in the greater/better capacity for human curiosity, really.  We have to understand curiosity from a ...evolutionary perspective, for lack of better phrase.  Human curiosity evolved as a mechanism to enhance their survival?   Boom, what was that?   ...go see... boom coming, move tribe.  Boom not coming.... either way, tribe survives. Other animals 'get out of the way' but, we just do it with vastly more sophistication.  And that investigation isn't taking place without the boom, first.  In deference to Scott's context, it's hard to hear booms on 78 degree laze faire weather days. 

See... it is possible to want to experience these big things without also wanting to see people get harmed.   You have to do the former to understand how the latter - that's really why the dichotomy exists. 

But... I do take exception at time with the 'joy' loss --> pissing and moaning thing.  That closed lust is more of a perversion of the above virtue -

oh I know folks are happy living in SD, I was talking more about METS who live there, must be a bit boring.. IDK,

14 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Well it's game on. I was hoping for the best but it seems mother nature has other ideas.

Juan - "I am the most destructive Hurricane to hit Nova Scotia". Dorian - "hold me beer"

I'll try and gets pics and any major updates for as long as I can.

Good luck. What kind of wind did Juan pack?

Storm surge warning in effect for:

• Prince County P.E.I.

Higher than normal water levels with very large waves are expected near the coast.

The intense winds associated with Dorian are forecast to generate large waves and Storm Surge for parts of the Gulf of Saint Lawrence. Storm surge is most likely to be a concern Saturday evening and overnight.

High waves combined with the surge may cause damage along the coast. Stay away from affected shorelines.

Storm surge warnings are issued when water levels pose a threat to coastal regions.

Just now, Hoth said:

Good luck. What kind of wind did Juan pack?

Juan was a low end Cat 2 100mph. This will be less intensity wise but a much bigger cane than Juan. Airport which is 20miles inland had a gust to 143kph(90mph) during Juan. See what Dorian can bring. It's looking pretty darn stout on Satellite.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Juan was a low end Cat 2 100mph. This will be less intensity wise but a much bigger cane than Juan. Airport which is 20miles inland had a gust to 143kph(90mph) during Juan. See what Dorian can bring. It's looking pretty darn stout on Satellite.  

Juan destroyed plenty of NS forest.  Mills as far a way as Maine had trouble with wood supply in the months following the storm, because so many NB loggers were cleaning up the mess.  And since I don't think Maine hasn't recorded anything stronger than Cat 1 since 1900, hitting 100 mph is really impressive for a place nearly as close to the pole as to the equator.  Being so much closer than Maine to the Gulf Stream helps (or hurts.)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

Storm surge warning in effect for:

• Prince County P.E.I.

Higher than normal water levels with very large waves are expected near the coast.

The intense winds associated with Dorian are forecast to generate large waves and Storm Surge for parts of the Gulf of Saint Lawrence. Storm surge is most likely to be a concern Saturday evening and overnight.

High waves combined with the surge may cause damage along the coast. Stay away from affected shorelines.

Storm surge warnings are issued when water levels pose a threat to coastal regions.

If only the money to be made during prohibition hadn't enticed my ancestors to leave PEI and NS. 

Watching that feature over the lakes drive towards Dorian. Mentioned in the main trop thread: wonder if we see this have a tick or two nw? Not anything substantial, but enough to bring more significant weather outside of downeast maine, cape, islands. that s/w over the lakes might give Dorian a little robert kraft tug.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Of course nobody wants to see anything bad happen to someone or people suffering. However, I didn't get into weather because of partly sunny skies with temps in the 70s.

Fukking amazing to live in Southern California type weather where every day you walk outside it’s an orgasm of sunshine and 78F.... but boring as hell for weather weenies.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hazey said:

I can’t even imagine a site 20 miles inland in New England recording 90mph wind. That’s like halfway between BOS and ORH. 

Gusts to 90mph is solid even on NNE Mtn tops...but in a suburban neighborhood, yikes.

1 hour ago, MetHerb said:

I agree with the language comment.  I've never understood the need for people to have to interject "colorful adjectives" in normal speech.  It's a free world though...

I have looked into studies that show people who do not use colorful language, have a far greater likelihood of being liars and manipulators. Food for thought.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

I have looked into studies that show people who do not use colorful language, have a far greater likelihood of being liars and manipulators. Food for thought.

Also, studies seem to show that people who swear, are more intelligent.

https://www.sciencealert.com/swearing-is-a-sign-of-more-intelligence-not-less-say-scientists 

• Like 3