Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
SNE "Tropical" Season Discussion 2019

Torch Tiger

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

Like I get the dread of dealing with the property damage, but I can't relate with this idea of not wanting to go be in it if it was available so close by. I guess that makes me weird or something. 

If I could experience it without my place being trashed, I'd be ok with that but then that would make me a selfish weather weenie. I suspect I'll see enough to get my fill of tropical activity.

That adjustment east might bring the good stuff to your doorstep.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Like I get the dread of dealing with the property damage, but I can't relate with this idea of not wanting to go be in it if it was available so close by. I guess that makes me weird or something. 

You and Ditty, both weird. I spent months cleaning up after May 18 EF1, never again no thanks. 

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

You and Ditty, both weird. I spent months cleaning up after May 18 EF1, never again no thanks. 

You don't have the choice whether its coming. Do you want to see the tornado or not? Do you want to experience the hurricane first hand or not? We're not talking about having the choice here. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

No, I get completely what you're saying.  And I can also see the property owner side of it too.   I look at it...wishing for it doesn't make it happen, anymore than NOT wishing for it doesn't make it happen.   Sometimes the law of averages catches up with a location, and it'll come no matter what.  In that case I hear and agree with what you mean.   But the Conundrum statement is real....we love the extreme weather, but don't want our homes and property to be destroyed either.   But we have to keep in mind the weather doesn't take any of what we want, or don't want into consideration lol...so that makes me feel ok when I kind of Pine for some exciting weather at times.

46 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yeah. I don't think Kev is really wishing for the damage on top of his head, but in fantasy the idea of a huge, historic even nearby is pretty exciting.  But when it finally happens, you wish it didn't. 

Your place was right in the path of that storm.  It must have been pretty shi*ty.

56 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Exactly. When I was younger I was over the moon at getting a hurricane. Juan was awesome but now I look back at the damage and think if I had to pay for it or clean it up, not so fun. Plus my place is heavily wooded.

Somewhat related, I've always found ice storms exciting and beautiful (the NNJ event in 1953 probably triggered my interest in both wx and trees), but that excitement is tempered by foreboding since I entered the forestry profession.

45 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Some here hope they are right inline of some catastrophic event, That's the difference between actually getting it over your head or hoping you do, Most on here feel the same way, They don't want it, But if it happens, You can't prevent it.

Cannot argue with that.  Though I like "interesting" wx, I'm also happy to live in the land of little hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes and big snowstorms.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Cannot argue with that.  Though I like "interesting" wx, I'm also happy to live in the land of little hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes and big snowstorms.

We all like interesting weather or we wouldn't be here, Outside of snow, All others take a back seat for me anyways.

49 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Some here hope they are right inline of some catastrophic event, That's the difference between actually getting it over your head or hoping you do, Most on here feel the same way, They don't want it, But if it happens, You can't prevent it.

Yeah, it’s a very interesting line that folks who “want” damage have to walk.  I’d never really seen anything like it until interacting with a forum like this, and if you told me people like that existed I would have thought you were nuts.  Even meteorologists on TWC who go out into storms to report on them and probably “love” weather, are on the side of minimizing damage.  Maybe they’re internally conflicted like some of the people on this board, but have to side with minimizing damage since they’re professionals.

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Sure you do, You live in an area where the odds are low of a direct impact like New England and inland, Where you are and Hazey, Odds increase considerably, And that goes for Nor Easters too.

Oh, well that's a different discussion about living in a place with low disaster risk (not available to the less fortunate, of course.)  This whole discussion started when I suggested Hazey go check out the storm in coastal Richmond County to fully experience its power. It's not about wishing disasters on people. 

8 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

You don't get a choice. 

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

Sure you do, You live in an area where the odds are low of a direct impact like New England and inland, Where you are, Odds increase considerably.

Isn’t the concept of “choice” with respect to hazardous weather situations literally why we have tornado warnings, hurricane evacuations, etc.?  Those are there to let you know ahead of time so that you can choose to get underground, get to a safe location, etc. because the situation is dangerous and potentially deadly?

1 minute ago, J.Spin said:

Isn’t the concept of “choice” with respect to hazardous weather situations literally why we have tornado warnings, hurricane evacuations, etc.?  Those are there to let you know ahead of time so that you can choose to get underground, get to a safe location, etc. because the situation is dangerous and potentially deadly?

Yes, Those are the choices you have, Knowing something that potentially could be catastrophic is heading your way, You can either stay and ride it out, Or seek shelter, That's why these mechanisms are in place.

7 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

If you have a home in an area, and a tornado or hurricane comes, you don't get the choice whether the storm is going to come or not. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I don't think most of them want to see a catastrophic event, but if you look at some of their social media pages and just how they discuss wx, I have no doubt they're weenies too and pull for limited action. 

I honestly don't care whether people want a cat 5 or San Diego weather, but I do get annoyed when people (not saying anyone in this specific conversation are) rail against one type of wx and then pull for something else. October 2011 killed 39 people. A few hundred people were killed in the '93 superstorm. One of my favorite storms, GB 2013, killed 18. No, you don't get the kind of property damage that you get from hurricanes, but for every type of wx, there are some who get hurt. 

'78 injured thousands and killed 100. That's a lot more than many hurricanes, here or elsewhere. Nevermind the property damage as well as economic losses. But you won't hear people on here wishing it away.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Yeah. I don't think Kev is really wishing for the damage on top of his head, but in fantasy the idea of a huge, historic even nearby is pretty exciting.  But when it finally happens, you wish it didn't. 

Your place was right in the path of that storm.  It must have been pretty shi*ty.

It was and my point is, I don’t enjoy damage. I don’t enjoy being without power, without water. Call me crazy...I like to take a shit and flush the toilet, take a shower, and use electronics. Sure watching interesting weather unfold is cool to track or see...from afar... but that’s it.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

What is your point? You’re saying if a hurricane is nearby why wouldn’t you want to be in it?...and my answer is....no, I would not. YOU are giving me a choice lol. 

This is exhausting. The hurricane is going to hit NS whether you want or not. If you had the choice to drive down the road and experience it first hand in a more abrupt away you wouldn't do that? You would just stay home? If there's a large tornado in CT, you aren't going to chase it? 

4 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

This is exhausting. The hurricane is going to hit NS whether you want or not. If you had the choice to drive down the road and experience it first hand in a more abrupt away you wouldn't do that? You would just stay home? If there's a large tornado in CT, you aren't going to chase it? 

Exhausting here too...yes, that is correct. I can give two shits about it. I’m not wiz that gets all wet in my undies over a darkening cloud. That is my point, I don’t like severe weather...honestly. Snow or coc, nothing else excites me. 

10 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Read the thread man. I suggested Hazey go out to Richmond County and experience the power of the hurricane. I was surprised when he wasn't interested. 

Wow this is taking in a lot more oxygen than I thought it would. Anyway to set the record straight. Yes I love weather. No I don't want things that I paid/pay for wrecked or damaged. If it happens, it happens. I just won't be excited for it as much as I was years ago.

Richmond county is a 5hr drive from me so due to that alone, I won't be going there. However I have another spot in mind to get feeling of hurricane winds. Osbourne Head or the bluff on Lawrencetown beach.

16 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It was and my point is, I don’t enjoy damage. I don’t enjoy being without power, without water. Call me crazy...I like to take a shit and flush the toilet, take a shower, and use electronics. Sure watching interesting weather unfold is cool to track or see...from afar... but that’s it.

I love big storms until I lose power.  I get irrationally angry when we lose power ha.  Two October’s ago we lost power for 3 days when that huge SE windstorm hit and we ended up just leaving to go visit my parents lol.  

No patience for power outages.