Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
SNE "Tropical" Season Discussion 2019

Torch Tiger

13 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Not happening James.

The first s/w acts more like a kicker and it's well to our east before the next deeper s/w digs in to drive it more northward. I wouldn't be expecting any big wind.

Hoping for a big west shift tomorrow along with the other weenies.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Its a straight drug for him at this point.  I get it, and reading some of his stuff, he almost seems ok with it if one of these does claim his life at some point.  There's nothing else he'd rather be doing.  Sitting at home while a Cat 5 hits some island is just not a possibility for him.  I have a deep respect for people like that, who realize this is what they want to do with their life and they are going to do it.

I also get some of the other comments... I mean, if anyone needs to come rescue him or provide emergency care.... it's the same as someone going up MWN and needing to be rescued (when a lot of the public wonders why you put the rescuers at risk).  Some people hike Everest, some chase the eyewalls of Cat 5 hurricanes, others chase tornadoes, some dive to the deepest depths of the ocean possible.    They didn't need to be there but they wanted to and they don't need anyone's permission to do so.  Josh obviously plans well for it, but one can see both sides of the argument. 

Yeah, that seems about right...a drug.  I don't really have an issue with the storm chasing overall except for as you mention, when you put your self in danger, or anyone else.  

I do get a bit turned off when I see him say that he "hitched a ride with a military chopper". There must have been more to this than the nonchalant way it sounds.  Military helicopters don't just let people jump on board.  Also, why not get trained in some type of medical care and do more after these storms rip through?  My guess is that Josh wants zero to do with the aftermath and the possibility of being stuck somewhere for days, and weeks without modern amenities, with filthy, hungry people all around him. ... A few days, maybe, but he really want out as quick as possible. I guess I would get trained to do more and try to help if I could.  

But, this is his thing, and he does it the way he wants, and does not care if he pisses people off along the way as is his right as long as he does not get in the way of rescue efforts.

3 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Hazey should take a nice trip to the Richmond County shoreline. Some of these pressure on the HWRF and the ECMWF at landfall are pretty ridiculous, I'm pretty sure they'd set the NS record. 

I'm sure someone will be there to capture the event. I'll have enough to contend with, flooding the big concern with some tree/ tree limb damage. The severe stuff should stay offshore but I expect tropical storm conditions of 60mph gusts even at my location. Im using Hurricane Hortense 1996 as my analog.

7 minutes ago, Hazey said:

I'm sure someone will be there to capture the event. I'll have enough to contend with, flooding the big concern with some tree/ tree limb damage. The severe stuff should stay offshore but I expect tropical storm conditions of 60mph gusts even at my location. Im using Hurricane Hortense 1996 as my analog.

Your previous post talked about being scared and Juan...now you're thinking just some tropical storm conditions??  Juan was way more than tropical storm conditions no???

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Your previous post talked about being scared and Juan...now you're thinking just some tropical storm conditions??  Juan was way more than tropical storm conditions no???

Juan went up on the west side of Halifax, that makes a huge difference. Still possible, but guidance seems locked in for a track just southeast of Halifax. 

10 minutes ago, Hazey said:

There are times I wonder if you actually like the weather, dude. 

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Shift east last night. keeps me on the rainier side and not the high wind side. Could still cross over or move to my west but I don't think that will happen

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

Juan went up on the west side of Halifax, that makes a huge difference. Still possible, but guidance seems locked in for a track just southeast of Halifax. 

Ok gotcha.  Ya going up the west side would put that area in the right front quadrant where the winds are the strongest right.   I was just commenting on Hazey getting concerned earlier...but now see why this should be much easier on his area than Juan.

Just now, Hazey said:

Being a homeowner and being responsable for the damages changes your perspective some. Still like weather but I have skin in the game i'd rather not loose now. 

Amazing how our perspective as homeowners changes our desire for extreme weather.  I have had enough of limbs and trees falling over the last 3 years to last a lifetime.  All of the dead oaks around here mean there is more to come. I removed 7 but have 4 more I need to have dropped. 

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Amazing how our perspective as homeowners changes our desire for extreme weather.  I have had enough of limbs and trees falling over the last 3 years to last a lifetime.  All of the dead oaks around here mean there is more to come. I removed 7 but have 4 more I need to have dropped. 

Yup. I hate damage imby and feel sympathetic to those who have to suffer through it. Sure it’s part of our weenie nostalgia but that doesn’t mean I hope for it. I have like 5/6 trees I want to cut down....just need to find time and get some friends to help. 

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

If it's coming, you would seem like someone who was at least interested in going experience the majesty of weather, Steve. I don't really think that's out there thinking on this forum. 

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Exactly. When I was younger I was over the moon at getting a hurricane. Juan was awesome but now I look back at the damage and think if I had to pay for it or clean it up, not so fun. Plus my place is heavily wooded.