• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 2nd 2019 Possible Flizzard Discussion&Obs

1 hour ago, mackerel_sky said:

I’m only at 46, but with things trending E and S , who cares about temps here anyway!

Down to 37.6 at 11pm. I don't expect to see anything here but it would be nice. Last time I remember any April flurries was 2007. Most April snow I ever remember was about a 45 minute shower around lunch time in the middle of April 2003. Was just barely starting to stick on the cars but that was the best could do. Honestly it's just nice to see some cool temps and frost in April.

Very hard to get April snow outside the mountains. (usually) You need the perfect setup with precip falling at night or early morning. But (like in our case) you need the night to be clear to cool the air down towards freezing. So early morning precip is the key. RAH states we have until ~10 to see any mix.

For RDU folks, precip will overspread southern Wake County first and this may be the prim place to see a few flakes.   

8 minutes ago, Snow haven said:

Just rain here in Rockinham sitting at 40 degrees too though 

But you're still in a good spot. 

This was just posted from RAH:

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC 640 AM EDT Tue Apr 2 2019 NCZ073>077-083>086-088-021300- STANLY-MONTGOMERY-MOORE-LEE-HARNETT-ANSON-RICHMOND-SCOTLAND-HOKE- CUMBERLAND- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF ALBEMARLE, PLYLER, TROY, BISCOE, MOUNT GILEAD, PEKIN, BADIN LAKE, ELDORADO, SOUTHERN PINES, PINEHURST, ABERDEEN, EAGLE SPRINGS, SEVEN LAKES, CUMNOCK, GUM SPRINGS, SANFORD, TRAMWAY, DUNN, ANDERSON CREEK, TIMBERLAKE, DUNCAN, ERWIN, ANGIER, LILLINGTON, WADESBORO, POLKTON, ROCKINGHAM, HAMLET, EAST ROCKINGHAM, LAUREL HILL, LAURINBURG, ANTIOCH, ASHLEY HEIGHTS, RAEFORD, ROCKFISH, SILVER CITY, FAYETTEVILLE, AND FORT BRAGG 640 AM EDT Tue Apr 2 2019 ...WINTRY MIX OF RAIN AND SNOW LIKELY THROUGH 9 AM ACROSS SECTIONS OF THE SOUTHERN PIEDMONT AND SANDHILLS... As precipitation moves into central North Carolina from the south early this morning, the presence of cold dry air at the surface will lead to a wintry mix of rain and snow. During instances of heavier precipitation, the mixture may temporarily change to heavy wet snow. While little if any impacts are expected from the wintry mix, where the bursts of heavy wet snow occurs, the snow may briefly stick to grassy surfaces before melting.

1 minute ago, Queencitywx said:

I feel better now than I did earlier today about a few flakes. It seems its slightly ahead of schedule.

Our problem is we're too far north (sometimes it bites both ways). The sun is strong this time of year, even through the clouds. Southern Wake, Chatham, and maybe right into Raleigh have a shot. I guess we do to but it'll be close. 

3 minutes ago, DopplerWx said:

IF we can keep this heavy band just west enough to move over clt we will be in business for a little time of some mod snow I believe

I think if you're S&E of 85, you stand a good shot at an inch or so, depending on how this band performs. I think most of york and the lancaster panhandle are a lock for a coating.

• Like 1