• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 2019 Discussion

Hoosier

Despite 2.4" of rain since Thursday, and hitting 60 degrees Saturday for the first time since October 4th (a record stretch of 198 days at MQT), winter's grip is still slow to loosen deep in the north woods of Superior. Snow has now been on the ground pretty much 6 months now and the first flakes of the season flew September 29th, just short of 7 months ago. Amazing climate!

36 with rain and fog this morning.   Another 1.5-2" in the forecast with a flood watch and advisory already in effect... will struggle to reach 40 with deep upslope/onshore ne flow.

Around my place this morning... a good book by the fire kinda day :)

IMG_1782.JPG.9d98f068052e1817727c4bc1450bcf38.JPG

IMG_1777.JPG.4eff288bc601d3dbf403e892459bf7d9.JPG

IMG_1781.JPG.49d7bf65e961c749efb20090d22db07b.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

Despite 2.4" of rain since Thursday, and hitting 60 degrees Saturday for the first time since October 4th (a record stretch of 198 days at MQT), winter's grip is still slow to loosen deep in the north woods of Superior. Snow has now been on the ground pretty much 6 months now and the first flakes of the season flew September 29th, just short of 7 months ago. Amazing climate!

36 with rain and fog this morning.   Another 1.5-2" in the forecast with a flood watch and advisory already in effect... will struggle to reach 40 with deep upslope/onshore ne flow.

IMG_1782.JPG.9d98f068052e1817727c4bc1450bcf38.JPG

Yeah...I could not stand it looking like that outside ten days from the start of May. I am quite far enough north, thanks.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Very impressive. :thumbsup:

I imagine that 2018-19 in MQT is also in the Top 3 for consecutive days with 1"+ snow depth (164 days - November 9th to April 21st).  It's a shame that snowfall in March-April was much below normal, because otherwise they would have probably shattered the record.  MQT has only had 16.8" of snow in March-April; normal is 48".

1 hour ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Yeah...I could not stand it looking like that outside ten days from the start of May. I am quite far enough north, thanks.

Yeah... I call it ma' nature's 100% all-natural population control.  It's nice and peaceful here. 

1 minute ago, beavis1729 said:

Very impressive. 

I imagine that 2018-19 in MQT is also in the Top 3 for consecutive days with 1"+ snow depth (164 days - November 9th to April 21st).  It's a shame that snowfall in March-April was much below normal, because otherwise they would have probably shattered the record.  MQT has only had 16.8" of snow in March-April; normal is 48".

Even with a lackluster finish, this was a great winter by any standard, imo... snow, ice, depth, cold, longevity. It's weird how living in a snowy climate changes your perspective.  Winter can go in peace.  Knowing 100% the snow is coming back without fail, somehow allows me to enjoy the spring and summer months that much more. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Yeah... I call it ma' nature's 100% all-natural population control.  It's nice and peaceful here. 

Even with a lackluster finish, this was a great winter by any standard, imo... snow, ice, depth, cold, longevity. It's weird how living in a snowy climate changes your perspective.  Winter can go in peace.  Knowing 100% the snow is coming back without fail, somehow allows me to enjoy the spring and summer months that much more. 

Yes!! Very well said.

• Like 1

Yesterday was one of the warmer Easter's on record for Chicago...

85 - 4/10/1977
83 - 4/11/1971
82 - 4/18/1976
82 - 4/21/1946
82 - 4/13/1941
81 - 4/10/1955
81 - 3/27/1910
79 - 4/20/2014
79 - 3/30/1986
79 - 4/17/1927
79 - 4/12/1935
78 - 4/19/1987
78 - 4/10/1887
77 - 4/21/2019
76 - 4/4/2010
76 - 3/26/1989

Perhaps this is better suited for banter/complaint, but these last few days of 70s (with strong thunderstorms yesterday evening!) during the day and upper 40s to 50s at night have felt awesome. The grass has greened up nicely, the crocuses are coming up, and the tree buds are really popping. So all I gotta say is...

...it better not ****-ing snow again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Having a snowstorm in late April at this latitude isn't normal, whether you like snow or not. Having a strong, bowling ball system traversing the mid latitudes this time of the year is NOT normal. I'm just very concerned about the future of our climate, that's all. Something is messing up the weather patterns across the globe, and I have an idea on what it might be. I believe it to be man-made, however, which is very disconcerting.

• Haha 1

Having a snowstorm in late April at this latitude isn't normal, whether you like snow or not. Having a strong, bowling ball system traversing the mid latitudes this time of the year is NOT normal. I'm just very concerned about the future of our climate, that's all. Something is messing up the weather patterns across the globe, and I have an idea on what it might be. I believe it to be man-made, however, which is very disconcerting.

Easy there we don’t need a global warming debate
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NegativeEPO said:

What latitude is that? Torchartie latitude?

10 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

It's the hot dense exhaust gasses  from Jet engines traversing the -30 degree air in the stratosphere.  Kinda like taxi cab tail pipes in NYC in Jan.  ;)

Except they stay in one spots for hours and do not disperse.  I'll bow out and leave it be, as this is not what this forum is for, but CIA through a FOIA already conceded these are not contrails.  Also, important to remember the National Science Foundation absorbed part of the Department of Defense back in the late 50's,early 60's.  Anyway, yeah, not jet exhaust.  Link if interested https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP68R00530A000200110020-2.pdf

22 hours ago, NegativeEPO said:

Serious question: why have we been stuck in this garbage pattern since late January? This is NOT normal at all. It almost seems unnatural. As if there's something more sinister going on...

19 hours ago, NegativeEPO said:

19 hours ago, NegativeEPO said:

It's not global warming though (at least not entirely), I'm starting to think it might be something else.

lol.