• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 2019 Discussion

Hoosier

Winter was essentially a 5 week window here, it faded away as quickly as it started. I do not want a repeat of April 2018, as it ended up being our snowiest calendar month of the year. Heard thunderstorms last night, I’m ready. Fired up my grill last night and made burgers. Bring on the warmth. 

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Harry Perry said:

Second half of April is going to bring lots of early summer weather for many. Long range models have been pointing that way for a while now and it may actually come into fruition. Almost feel a 2014/2015 summer incoming. Nothing over the top, but some good warmth and good storms spread out over the four month period.

So another cold summer then? Just what I figured. The long range still looks pretty miserable from what I can tell. Will be a long time before we see sustained warmth that's for sure.

• Haha 3

Looks like maybe a pathetic two day warm-up barely into the 60s early next week before we go back into that east trough/west ridge pattern that will probably continue for the rest of the month. Just when this ridiculous -EPO finally dissipates, we get to enjoy a massive +PNA, as well as a nonsense -NAO . Can't wait for more northeast winds. This is going to be one of the more miserable Aprils in recent memory, after an absolutely appalling March.

Certainly don't envision another April like last year... not only that, but there's probably a decent chance it ends up warmer than average for most.  If you're near a large body of water, then there will be days that are cooler by the lake as happens every spring.  Really it's a question of just how frequent that is, not if it will happen at all.

2 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Certainly interesting seeing the vastly conflicting opinions in here...

* Someone on another forum even says it looks like we are going into a -PNA.  :unsure:

I'm guessing you meant +PNA.

a +PNA wouldn't be the worst to be honest. Sure, it would suck for severe weather, but you can still get some pretty warm temps east at times even with a +PNA. It's a -NAO that scares me much more. If a -NAO locks in, we're ****ed.

Just now, NegativeEPO said:

I'm guessing you meant +PNA.

a +PNA wouldn't be the worst to be honest. Sure, it would suck for severe weather, but you can still get some pretty warm temps east at times even with a +PNA. It's a -NAO that scares me much more. If a -NAO locks in, we're ****ed.

Nope.

Post #266. "...PNA appears to be going back negative..."

https://talkweather.com/index.php?threads/severe-weather-2019.1149/page-14

Almost three weeks after the Great Plains Pulverizer and our dry spell persists.  Snow now only exists in piles and a few of the larger drift zones, particularly those that are a bit sheltered.  Different story once you get north of Wausau though.   The transition to deep snow pack happens in all of about 20 miles.  Near Rhinelander there's a consistent 12" depth, nearly 18" in some places.  And it's an absolute glacier too.  I hardly sunk 1/4" into the top when cross-country skiing up there yesterday.  Kind of stunk actually.  That said, with no 1"+ refresher snows in the forecast and with 70s trying to work their way into the long range I can't see that glacier holding on much longer.

Meanwhile is that a snow squall I see approaching on high-res for tomorrow evening?  I'll still take winter where I can get it.

nam3km_ref_frzn_ncus_24.png

• Like 1

I was on the "crappy side" this Saturday where temps underperformed and it was pretty much overcast the entire day. Forecast was for 60F and ended up at 50F max instead :thumbsdown: . In the morning I wasn't getting to the hourly points TWN projected so I knew there was no way 60 or even 55 was happening but instead of lowering the max high they increased it and produced an even larger error. This is the fourth time in 2 months :clap:. Just a few weeks ago there appeared to be a rainy day forecast 6-7 days ahead and once the day arrived it was 40% pops both for morning and afternoon. The icon used was rain not cloudy with a chance of showers. The paltry rain was well past pretty much all of southern ON (nothing upstream or any redevelopment) and the forecast remained as stated...not a single drop of rain that day. The same icon and pops was unchanged even at 3:00 pm in the afternoon when it was clear as can be that nothing was coming. A weather forecast point system from the 70s wouldn't be that wrong probably.

Spring is in the air.  I've seen the first geese since late autumn this week, it's rained... even thundered a little.  The snow continues to shrink.  From what I can tell and have heard, the deer herd here in the N UP took a bad hit this winter.  They were just rebounding too. I've come across a couple of last years fawns dead and partially eaten.  The snow was just too deep I think.

Waiting on spring to take hold (with a blizzard looming possibly).

For anyone interested, snow is 25-30" deep.  Very solid and dense but starting to warm up more.

IMG_9404.JPG.05333bbccf006287a15bcf0dc8d3ff02.JPG

• Like 4