Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring 2019 New England Banter and Disco

HoarfrostHubb

Just now, geo1 said:

We were on a family vacation a bit further north and went to Young’s lobster pound very good as well!  So many great places to have that favorite summer time roll. I love making my own also but the scenery in north Wilmington lacks lol.

I'm sure I'll be blasted, but I had lobster once and didn't think it was that good. Freshly caught at the dock too. I'm not a big seafood fan anyway.

1 minute ago, geo1 said:

We were on a family vacation a bit further north and went to Young’s lobster pound very good as well!  So many great places to have that favorite summer time roll. I love making my own also but the scenery in north Wilmington lacks lol.

Yes it is.

2 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I'm sure I'll be blasted, but I had lobster once and didn't think it was that good. Freshly caught at the dock too. I'm not a big seafood fan anyway.

Whenever we go to eat at a seafood restaurant, My oldest son and i are eating everything seafood, Oysters included,  And my wife and youngest son are having the chicken or a steak..........lol

2 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

If it’s not your thing that’s ok. If you find getting the meat out of the shell annoying I get it grilling steaks is also great!

1 minute ago, geo1 said:

If it’s not your thing that’s ok. If you find getting the meat out of the shell annoying I get it grilling steaks is also great!

Out having dinner several years back with a couple manufactures reps at the Capitol grill in Providence, I decided i was going to get the Surf & Turf for dinner, It was a 3lb Maine Lobster and a 10oz Filet, The waiter comes over with my meal and begins to tell me how to go about eating the Lobster, I go dude, I'm from Maine and there is nothing your going to be able to help me with to eat that lobster, I then asked him for some crackers for the Tomalley...........lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Sounds like my PQI-born daughter.  When she went to college in SC her friends would say, "You're from Maine; you must love seafood."  Her response, "No, I'm from Aroostook County and I love potatoes."  So much so that when the camp where she worked for several summers planned instant mashed potatoes (which she despises), she volunteered to put her potato peeler where her tastes were, enough to feed 110.  Fortunately, 2-3 friends got wind of this and joined the party. 

I then asked him for some crackers for the Tomalley...........lol

Supposedly contains dioxins or some such.  However, with the amount of whole lobsters we buy/boil, I'd have to live another 1,000 years before there would be any effect.   :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

Sounds like my PQI-born daughter.  When she went to college in SC her friends would say, "You're from Maine; you must love seafood."  Her response, "No, I'm from Aroostook County and I love potatoes."  So much so that when the camp where she worked for several summers planned instant mashed potatoes (which she despises), she volunteered to put her potato peeler where her tastes were, enough to feed 110.  Fortunately, 2-3 friends got wind of this and joined the party. 

I then asked him for some crackers for the Tomalley...........lol

Supposedly contains dioxins or some such.  However, with the amount of whole lobsters we buy/boil, I'd have to live another 1,000 years before there would be any effect.   :lol:

Instant potatoes is a sin, I don't eat much of anything that comes out of a box unless its cereal.

The waiter comes over with my meal and begins to tell me how to go about eating the Lobster

Brings back memories from 1995 when Portland hosted the national convention of the Society of American Foresters.  While the New England SAF folks were planning for the one full-attendee supper (scheduled for the evening of our field-trip day), some folks from SNE were concerned that folks wouldn't have time after being in the woods to clean up before dinner.  One Mainer on the committee said, "When you tackle a lobster, you wash up after the meal."  We had Maine humorist Tim Sample giving instructions on how to turn a whole lobster into food ("Then there's the tomally - nasssty stuff!") and he cracked the place up while telling everyone how to crack their "bugs."

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 4:58 PM, Typhoon Tip said:

LOL. Drove north this morning to Lake Como to escape the heat in Parma which reached 104ish. Here, 92-93. We drove up to 3,700' above lake and car thermometer didn't budge. The temps have been rising for the 10 days we've been here. Watching the sun set now against the mountains (7-8K), asking my wife about her favorite places for lobster rolls. A little less connectivity wouldn't be a bad thing! She confirms there is a lot of meat in a Red's roll. Personally, I've seen the line and nothing is that good!

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Might be a question for @BrianW ... what’s solar going to cost me to install?

My house I’ve seen on some sights is rated 94/100 for solar, and I do get a ton of direct sun... so it might be worth it.

might be cost prohibitive to get going though 

Looks like you are in MA which is ranked number 1 in the usa for solar policy and incentives. There is a program where you sell your power and can collect $1700 or more a year. This website explains everything quite well.  Payback period is like an insane 5 or less years. Its pretty much a no brainer if you have good sun exposure. You definitely want to buy them outright in order to get the 30% federal tax credit. I believe it starts going away  and dropping next year. There are a ton of really low financing options available as well.

https://www.solarpowerrocks.com/massachusetts/

On 3/25/2019 at 8:24 AM, wxeyeNH said:

Some of you know Josh Morgerman an avid Hurricane chaser and who is part of the AMWX community. I met him years ago at one of the AMWX get-togethers.  Really nice guy.  Last year he teamed up with a UK producer and created the new series Hurricane Man.  A crew traveled with Josh as he traveled the globe in pursuit of tropical cyclones.  The first episode aired on British cable last night.  I understand it is really good.  Lots of epic footage.  A US cable channel just picked it up but it's not 100% finalized so Josh can't say who they are but he did say it's one of the major channels most people get.  Should be a good show.  I think Josh has chased more tropical cyclones than anyone else in the world.  That is quite a feat!

Thanks, Gene!

My show, Hurricane Man, is broadcasting in a bunch of countries now, including the UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, etc. In the USA, it'll premiere on Science Channel in September. It was going to be June, but that's a dead zone in terms of TV. The network really digs the show and decided they wanted to have it as part of their big fall primetime lineup, so they rescheduled it. I'll announce the premiere date as soon as I know it.

On 3/25/2019 at 8:27 AM, HoarfrostHubb said:

He knows his stuff.  I worry whenever he chases some of the huge ones.   

Thanks, man.

On 3/25/2019 at 8:28 AM, dendrite said:

Lisa has showed me a few of the trailers. Josh is a science guy, but he definitely has a flair for the dramatic too. :lol:

Well... The lead dude on an action-adventure TV show needs to be... expressive. :D

I might also add that I do find myself in legitimately dramatic situations-- like, you know, Cat 5s in the jungles of the Philippines. It's not like I'm hamming it up in 40-knot winds and drizzle in Myrtle Beach.

On 3/25/2019 at 9:10 AM, ORH_wxman said:

Oh yeah he loves it. Josh knows his shit too...he is probably exactly how you would want to model yourself as a chaser if you intend to chase high-end damaging winds. He meticulously researches every angle going into a storm. I helped him plan a few back in the day over a decade ago...he would seek opinions on everything from the actual storm to who has been near the chase zone for staging...so that definitely helps in minimizing risk. 

Thx, Will. I've taken some dumb risks over the years and I've had a few brushes with death-- but, hey, I'm still here after 28 years of chasing around the globe, so I'm doing something right.

P.S. I miss our collaborations. You used to be one of my go-to guys.

On 3/25/2019 at 9:21 AM, Ginx snewx said:

Great back story by Joshs support crew and camera folks on what it took to follow him into hell and back. 

My crew was amazing. There were actually three crews. When I first went to England to meet them, I was worried as hell-- these folks had never been in a hurricane, and I was thinking, "Holy crap, can they handle this?" But I trained them on what to expect and how to survive, and they were very brave. They never freaked out or complained-- even as I took 'em in to the cores of multiple Cat 5s (Super Typhoon MANGKHUT and then MICHAEL). They kept their heads down and got the shots we needed to create awesome TV. I'm damn proud of the show.

In case anyone's curious, here's the promo they used to promote the show in the United Kingdom for this premiere this past spring:

• Like 3