• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cberr1957
    Newest Member
    cberr1957

Spring 2019 New England Banter and Disco

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:55 AM, dendrite said:

Love them. The only ones I may love more are indigo buntings.

Lots of activity this morning...orioles, rose breasted grosbeaks, hummers, catbirds, finches, etc. The only elusive feeder bird for me has been bluebirds.

Have bluebirds at my feeders; they like the mealworms (dead) that Lowes sells locally down here.  First pair of nesting bluebirds in our yard has fledglings that are already sticking there heads out of the box.   This brood will likely be on their own within another week or 10 days... Usually they will start another brood by mid-June.

3/4 teams making it to the final around since Fall. #spoiled.

All you millennial snowflakes better realize how special that is. 

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

3/4 teams making it to the final around since Fall. #spoiled.

All you millennial snowflakes better realize how special that is. 

The winter pattern crapped out in the late 80s and early 90s, just like our sports teams. Then the mid late 90s revival 

I'm about to start a new job in RI next week, so I'll soon be joining you guys here in this forum.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Fozz said:

I'm about to start a new job in RI next week, so I'll soon be joining you guys here in this forum.

Congrats and welcome to New England!  

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Welcome to New England. Keep the 40s and dryslots down in the MA. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fozz said:

We welcome the Fozz.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all!

I’ll be in the northern part of the state, around Woonsocket or Cumberland. Still need to find an apartment.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fozz said:

Thank you all!

I’ll be in the northern part of the state, around Woonsocket or Cumberland. Still need to find an apartment.

Welcome Fozz, Your snow climo just got a nice bump up.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Fozz said:

Thank you all!

From crab cakes to lobstah rolls:rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Welcome Fozz, Your snow climo just got a nice bump up.

That's the best part of this move, for sure. Not to mention being a lot closer to New England ski country.

I was just going to ask @ORH_wxman how much I can expect in that part of RI. I'm guessing something similar to Boston.

7 minutes ago, Fozz said:

That's the best part of this move, for sure. Not to mention being a lot closer to New England ski country.

I was just going to ask @ORH_wxman how much I can expect in that part of RI. I'm guessing something similar to Boston.

Welcome Fozz!

Depending on exactly where in the Woonsocket/Cumberland area you are, you can expect between lows 40s and low 50s for snowfall average.

I've circled the area those towns cover...the far SE side of Cumberland can be in the low 40s.

417001556_SNE_snowfall_NRI.thumb.png.998d1188d9d8f270545a7cca8133f8d4.png

You want to be north of 295 in Cumberland where the better hills are, and the extra latitude away from the bay def helps too...the area I circled in white is where you'll be in the 50"+ seasonal average range:

Cumberland.png.dad1a1ffdf34439195032b514f7fd539.png

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Welcome Fozz!

Depending on exactly where in the Woonsocket/Cumberland area you are, you can expect between lows 40s and low 50s for snowfall average.

I've circled the area those towns cover...the far SE side of Cumberland can be in the low 40s.

You want to be north of 295 in Cumberland where the better hills are, and the extra latitude away from the bay def helps too...the area I circled in white is where you'll be in the 50"+ seasonal average range:

I'm sure :cory:could shed some more light on this.  :nerdsmiley:

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Welcome Fozz!

That is super helpful... thanks!

I had a feeling the hills above 200' would be good spots, and 50" would be almost twice as much as my old average down in MD. As I search for apartments, the elevation will definitely be a factor for me.

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I'm sure :cory:could shed some more light on this.  :nerdsmiley:

Yep....lol. Resident world champion accordion man is from Cumberland.

Parts of the town are over 500 feet actually.

Just now, Fozz said:

I had a feeling the hills above 200' would be good spots, and 50" would be almost twice as much as my old average down in MD. As I search for apartments, the elevation will definitely be a factor for me.

Yeah its quite variable in elevation there. Obviously you gotta find the best availability for places to live....but anything up near Diamond Hill park is going to be pretty good. If you go to Woonsocket, you actually probably want to be on the southwest side of town near 146.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fozz said:

Ha, that's great, I only know you from the off topic threads. 

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

He will enjoy this sub-forum as half the time it is off topic. :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/11/2019 at 12:04 PM, radarman said:

We have seen a few bluebirds this year.  Lots of cardinals, phoebes, wrens, robins, goldfinches, red bellied and pileated woodpeckers, and our ruby throated hummingbird friend that always appears shortly before the late blooming red azalea pops.  The tanagers were a first that I can recall.

:o

978C3073-3C88-4DD4-897C-96A8BE41B083.jpeg

Had the yellow female first which made me stare out the window for 20 mins waiting for a male.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Nrn RI is a good spot. 

Yeah it's sneaky good at times. Flies under the radar. Big gradient in northeast RI but Cumberland is typically on the better side of things....esp N of 295. 

Either way, as long as it's not a total ratter, his first winter should feel pretty snowy there. 

4 hours ago, Fozz said:

Twice as much and last alot longer :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I met him at one of the conferences.  Want to say it was DC but they’re all the same to me now.

10 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I met him at one of the conferences.  Want to say it was DC but they’re all the same to me now.

BWI

RI really has some beautiful spots too. Newport is the place to be in the summer. Tons of stuff to do. I love that town. They have a great jazz fest among other stuff. Maybe bond with old school TWC music lol.