• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring 2019 New England Banter and Disco

HoarfrostHubb

So what do we have for native pine borers in northern/central New England? I can literally hear these things chewing away at logs inside my chicken run. Unfortunately one of them has made it up inside the fascia of my coop and there’s a continual stream of pine shavings raining down. What’s the likely culprit and what’s the best way to exterminate it? I have some spray permethrin and neem I could use.

600011E8-2B82-4489-9C48-1BF3B0CD9341.jpeg

50 minutes ago, dendrite said:

So what do we have for native pine borers in northern/central New England? I can literally hear these things chewing away at logs inside my chicken run. Unfortunately one of them has made it up inside the fascia of my coop and there’s a continual stream of pine shavings raining down. What’s the likely culprit and what’s the best way to exterminate it? I have some spray permethrin and neem I could use.

600011E8-2B82-4489-9C48-1BF3B0CD9341.jpeg

Likely powder post beetles, distantly related to Asian longhorned beetle but a native that rarely reaches outbreak proportions.  Larvae make nice pencil-thick holes in wood.

30 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Likely powder post beetles, distantly related to Asian longhorned beetle but a native that rarely reaches outbreak proportions.  Larvae make nice pencil-thick holes in wood.

Saw this guy (gal) there later. I let one of the chickens eat it, but I could still hear the gnawing above after the ant became dinner. Could carpenter ants be that loud too? I saw a few of those inch long ones today. 

F8922724-903C-4794-9039-4016EE71E0BF.png

9 hours ago, dendrite said:

Saw this guy (gal) there later. I let one of the chickens eat it, but I could still hear the gnawing above after the ant became dinner. Could carpenter ants be that loud too? I saw a few of those inch long ones today. 

F8922724-903C-4794-9039-4016EE71E0BF.png

Tis the season for winged ants.  We've had carpenter ants at our place and never heard the chomping like that of the powder post beetles.  (We got rid of the ants, for now, by placing little trays - margarine lids work great - filled with a borax/sugar mix.  The ants come for the sugar but take both substances back to the nest and the borax does them in.  Place the stuff with care - last year we found a dead mouse lying in one of the trays.  If it can kill a mouse, it isn't safe for pets/kids.)   Piles of spruce, fir or pine sitting in the July sun are often filled with sounds of chewing beetle larvae.

30 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Tis the season for winged ants.  We've had carpenter ants at our place and never heard the chomping like that of the powder post beetles.  (We got rid of the ants, for now, by placing little trays - margarine lids work great - filled with a borax/sugar mix.  The ants come for the sugar but take both substances back to the nest and the borax does them in.  Place the stuff with care - last year we found a dead mouse lying in one of the trays.  If it can kill a mouse, it isn't safe for pets/kids.)   Piles of spruce, fir or pine sitting in the July sun are often filled with sounds of chewing beetle larvae.

I dropped a big pine last summer and left the cut up remains out in the back. Some of those big cut pieces ended up in the run for places for the chooks to perch on. There's a couple logs in there now where I can hear the chomping. I guess one of those beetles migrated its way to my coop. :axe:

5 hours ago, dendrite said:

I dropped a big pine last summer and left the cut up remains out in the back. Some of those big cut pieces ended up in the run for places for the chooks to perch on. There's a couple logs in there now where I can hear the chomping. I guess one of those beetles migrated its way to my coop. :axe:

Probably a lot more than one.  :o

3 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Hope Mom is close by.  We had 2 fawns born in our lower field last year and watched them grow up with Mom all through the summer, fall and winter. They moved on this spring

We were a little worried about that.  I saw a doe in the area later in the evening and assumed she was waiting for people to leave before getting the fawn and the fawn was gone in the morning.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Yep, this one coming out is the new core. It's a different world now. 

It is a model as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between accuracy and fiction, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the model of imagination. It is an area which we call the miss-guidance zone.

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It is a model as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between accuracy and fiction, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the model of imagination. It is an area which we call the miss-guidance zone.

Sounds like it's run out of James' basement.

• Haha 1