Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring 2019 New England Banter and Disco

HoarfrostHubb

12 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

They should check to see if their overflow pipe is clogged - that sort of overflow is exactly what happens to ours when it needs a cleaning.  I'm sure there are other possibilities, but when this happens to our well I just clean out the overflow pipe.  Once the outflow there is running smoothly, nothing comes out of the well head.

Thanks for the info. 

Also, yourself or anyone else have any experience with the following? Had a water softener and sediment filter installed almost 2 months ago. 

For about a week I’ve been noticing a blackish/gray like substance in the toilet bowl. Silt like how I would describe it. Is this sediment and indicative of a filter needing change? Water pressure has no changes FWIW.

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Thanks for the info. 

Also, yourself or anyone else have any experience with the following? Had a water softener and sediment filter installed almost 2 months ago. 

For about a week I’ve been noticing a blackish/gray like substance in the toilet bowl. Silt like how I would describe it. Is this sediment and indicative of a filter needing change? Water pressure has no changes FWIW.

I can’t get rid of the silt with my water. Let me know if you find a solution. 

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I can’t get rid of the silt with my water. Let me know if you find a solution. 

So is that your guess? It’s grayish and only visible in the toilets where the water sits... nothing in sinks showers etc. Not coarse to the touch.

After I made that post I took a peek at the sediment filter. It’s filthy... so I’m going to replace tomorrow to see what that does. I’m a little concerned about the amount of sediment given the filter is only ~6ish weeks old. I guess there is r anything I can do but replace the filter often 

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Was the well recently disturbed? Last time we had ours checked it took awhile for everything to settle down. My 3mo filters were clogging up every 3-4 weeks.

The house sat for a while without use after the well was drilled. So these past two months are the first time it’s getting steady usage

I talked to my neighbor earlier and he said it took about a year for everything to “settle” as he described... and he had a crap load of sediment in that time frame.

i took my sediment filter out today and hosed it off as a temp solution until the ones I ordered come in. Ordered these https://www.amazon.com/Icepure-Sediment-Activated-Compatible-GXWH40L/dp/B01N2H2OO6/ref=gp_aw_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=X04268TXA5MDM629CNMV.

One thing I find odd is the filter housing is after the water softener. It was professionally installed, so hopefully that means nothing, but it definitely seems backwards from a logical standpoint 

On 6/1/2019 at 11:56 PM, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

So is that your guess? It’s grayish and only visible in the toilets where the water sits... nothing in sinks showers etc. Not coarse to the touch.

After I made that post I took a peek at the sediment filter. It’s filthy... so I’m going to replace tomorrow to see what that does. I’m a little concerned about the amount of sediment given the filter is only ~6ish weeks old. I guess there is r anything I can do but replace the filter often 

Yea. I have to clean the toilet bowls with a rust remover. The kid’s bathtub has little dark sand like particles leftover around the drain after each bath. I had a guy check the system, said everything was fine. Said to just keep using water softener the water in town is just bad but I don’t know if it’s that simple.....thinking of getting a second opinion. Well water blows.

11 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. I have to clean the toilet bowls with a rust remover. The kid’s bathtub has little dark sand like particles leftover around the drain after each bath. I had a guy check the system, said everything was fine. Said to just keep using water softener the water in town is just bad but I don’t know if it’s that simple.....thinking of getting a second opinion. Well water blows.

Yeah... the softener has basically solved the iron/rust issue for us...  but same issues with the sediment.

Cold water occasionally has a smell too. Sucks 

I am on public water but all I ever hear about from friends is headaches with wells. Do you guys test your well water every year? How do you know lawn chemicals/pesticides, old inground oil tanks leaking, etc aren't getting in your water? 

3 hours ago, BrianW said:

I am on public water but all I ever hear about from friends is headaches with wells. Do you guys test your well water every year? How do you know lawn chemicals/pesticides, old inground oil tanks leaking, etc aren't getting in your water? 

We have a fairly shallow dug well, and a filter in our basement that includes an ultraviolet lamp to kill bacteria.  Even with that, we've had issues, usually when the bulb quits and we get some coliform from the hayfield (and its soil amendments) uphill from the well.  We used many gallons of store-bought water until we recently got a good water test.

5 hours ago, BrianW said:

I had a water test done when we moved in to dictate what type of water system(s) we needed. Water is incredibly high in iron...  but other than that... pretty mundane. 

We are in a new development on the edge of conservation land... so fortunately... not overly concerned about oil tanks and things of that nature.

Either way, I haven’t drank the water. We have a cooler and Poland springs delivers 5 gallon jugs.

My well is 180 feet deep.

15 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I had a water test done when we moved in to dictate what type of water system(s) we needed. Water is incredibly high in iron...  but other than that... pretty mundane. 

We are in a new development on the edge of conservation land... so fortunately... not overly concerned about oil tanks and things of that nature.

Either way, I haven’t drank the water. We have a cooler and Poland springs delivers 5 gallon jugs.

My well is 180 feet deep.

Thank you for supporting Maine state parks.  :lol:

Poland Springs has several wells within Range Ponds SP in...Poland, of course, and they pay a few cents/gallon to Parks and Lands, which goes toward upgrades in parks infrastructure (wherever needed, not just at Range Ponds.)

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

Thank you for supporting Maine state parks.  :lol:

Poland Springs has several wells within Range Ponds SP in...Poland, of course, and they pay a few cents/gallon to Parks and Lands, which goes toward upgrades in parks infrastructure (wherever needed, not just at Range Ponds.)

I believe they have a Spring on the South side of Pleasant Mountain in Denmark.

On 6/3/2019 at 1:35 PM, dendrite said:

I love my well water.

Anyone ever try water from a natural spring?

https://www.findaspring.com/

Gotta check for potential contamination sources in the area though.

There is a natural spring right near me in Bristol NH.  Right on 3A.  People are always filling up their plastic water jugs there.  Near constant line.  The state tests the water.  What I always wonder about it the plastic bottles and jugs people bring.  You can't sterilize a 5 gallon jug easily so I wonder if there are more contaminants in the jugs than if people just got the water from the municipality.  Anyone coming up to Newfound lake the spring is on the left just outside of Bristol.  There is a pull off and a sign explaining about the spring.

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I believe they have a Spring on the South side of Pleasant Mountain in Denmark.

Would not be surprising.  The sandy glacial outwash soils south and east of the Whites make for wonderful aquifers.  The wells at Range Ponds tap into the same aquifer that comes to the surface at the actual Poland Springs.

28 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

Does anyone with any insight have any opinions about our prospects for thunder and lightning overnight tonight? 

Certitude and convection seldom share company...  pin pointing precise CB columns in space and time, and who/what happens underneath them is outside the scope of present day technology.  Ha.

But, just from a synoptic perspective .. there is a medium chance for showers ... Given the regions proximity to the warm sector and available CAPE ... to mention, having a stationary/w-frontal boundary extended west to east through southern VT/NH .. adding an another instability/plausible trigger, the total chance is there.   The actual models .. the MESO orientated ones do have QPF blobs erupting upstate NY through mainly central, but spattered throughout southern New England.

So .. these synoptic signals, +modeling, should = a fair shot at seeing some lightning over the horizon if not a local thunderstorm.  In fact, the 3 KM NAM has an over-achiever slow moving MCC that it seems to blossom in conjunction with either a convectively induced low west of ALB during the nigh... or, is legit and is a concentration. 

It also depends where you are located ?   If you are in central NE proper, the shift may be toward less individual convection and more toward overrunning with embedded/elevated cells.    

12 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Already .17" thru the tipper this morning from the overnight.

Already a trace in drizzle here.  Planted most of the garden Saturday, and since then it's been cool, mostly cloudy, with little precip - not the best recipe for good growth.  Reminds me of one June in Ft. Kent that had endless cool drizzle but less than half normal precip.  Only question was whether the tomatoes would die from wind-whipping, drought or mildew.  We head for some time with the grandkids next week, so the garden will be on its own.  Lilacs just opening up, 1st time here that they waited until June.

12 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Already a trace in drizzle here.  Planted most of the garden Saturday, and since then it's been cool, mostly cloudy, with little precip - not the best recipe for good growth.  Reminds me of one June in Ft. Kent that had endless cool drizzle but less than half normal precip.  Only question was whether the tomatoes would die from wind-whipping, drought or mildew.  We head for some time with the grandkids next week, so the garden will be on its own.  Lilacs just opening up, 1st time here that they waited until June.

My Rhoddys are just opening up which is late, My garden is in containers, So its well underway, If i had to plant in the ground, I still wouldn't be able to till it, My soil is all clay based, So i would have to do boxes, Tomato's and Strawberries in these two pics.

Tomatos 2019.jpg

Strawberries 2019.jpg

I’m experimenting with some white grow bags this year. It should extend my season since I can pick them up in the fall and bring them into the garage when there’s a threat of frost. 

96199A74-0E93-4D65-B308-4EA8F38EC07B.jpeg

And the rhodies are well into bloom here. This was yesterday. 

FB339B62-9056-44CE-9E8C-0389AA5B8CA6.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I’m experimenting with some white grow bags this year. It should extend my season since I can pick them up in the fall and bring them into the garage when there’s a threat of frost. 

96199A74-0E93-4D65-B308-4EA8F38EC07B.jpeg

And the rhodies are well into bloom here. This was yesterday. 

FB339B62-9056-44CE-9E8C-0389AA5B8CA6.jpeg

Grow bags are good as well, Makes things easier and contains the soil, On the peppers i did, Ace, Jalapeno's, Bananna and Pepperoncini's

My garden faces SW, So it gets plenty of sun and heat in their, Temps have been in the mid 70's during the day in the garden and will reach 100°F once we are in the high 70's, Mid 80's here for air temps, So it really becomes a hot house plus i have a recipe that i have been using for my potting mix that has great success, This is mid July's growth on Peppers, Tomatoes and Cukes.

IMG_2149.JPG

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

5 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Where are the MA residents ganja garden pictures?  If I heard correct you can grow up to 6 plants legally now? I know a few on here probably have some crops growing...

Oh, You mean like my other garden?   lol

Dope.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1