Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring 2019 New England Banter and Disco

HoarfrostHubb

21 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

2015 was kind of like 2010 for you guys except it lasted a bit longer and had and extra 3-4 feet of snow in the process. Think 90-110 inches in 3 weeks instead of 40-60". Pretty crazy stuff for both areas actually compared to climo.

Those stretches are rare so prob not happening again anytime soon but you'll prob see some 35-40" months within the next 2-3 years unless we get unlucky. 

Yeah I figured 2015 was an extreme anomaly... I recall something like 4 HECS in the span of a month. Unless we God forbid get another stretch like the 80s to early 90s, I'm feeling pretty good about the winters here. If we're somehow due for more -NAO blocking in the winter months (which has been lacking in recent years), that'll be even better.

19 hours ago, tamarack said:

Hope he doesn't get the "Zucker" treatment - taught one year in SW NH, Monadnock country, and anticipated big snow.  It was 2011-12 and he saw less than he had the previous 2 seasons in the NY metro (where he's back to.)

For years that has been my biggest (irrational) fear of moving north... that once I get there I'll get skunked. I hope Zucker stayed for at least a few years afterwards since the following winters were much better.

1 hour ago, Fozz said:

For years that has been my biggest (irrational) fear of moving north... that once I get there I'll get skunked. I hope Zucker stayed for at least a few years afterwards since the following winters were much better.

Goes both ways...aviation dave brought good luck with him in 07-08 and 08-09. Then he moved down to the DC area in 09-10 and we know what happened then.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Goes both ways...aviation dave brought good luck with him in 07-08 and 08-09. Then he moved down to the DC area in 09-10 and we know what happened then.

Yep, and then after he moved to North Carolina they enjoyed a number of good winters (for them at least).

Didn't take long to remember how much i hated climbing up the roof to service my weather station, Had to take down my old one that half the sensors were no longer working and had been offline for two years to put up my new one, Glad its only an occasional climb up there, I'm not a fan of heights even when i was younger.

9 hours ago, dryslot said:

Didn't take long to remember how much i hated climbing up the roof to service my weather station, Had to take down my old one that half the sensors were no longer working and had been offline for two years to put up my new one, Glad its only an occasional climb up there, I'm not a fan of heights even when i was younger.

Yeah, not a big fan myself.  Usually have to go up once a year to blow pine needles out of the gullies. 

Roof pitch?

On 5/18/2019 at 4:25 PM, tamarack said:

Hope he doesn't get the "Zucker" treatment - taught one year in SW NH, Monadnock country, and anticipated big snow.  It was 2011-12 and he saw less than he had the previous 2 seasons in the NY metro (where he's back to.)

Lol yeah...we only got 52" that winter in Rindge. Had 24" in the October bomb and 3" a few days before that. Only saw about 2 feet fall the entire winter at 1200' in the Monadnocks. 

Had 68" in 09-10 and 70" in 10-11 in Westchester.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, nzucker said:

Lol yeah...we only got 52" that winter in Rindge. Had 24" in the October bomb and 3" a few days before that. Only saw about 2 feet fall the entire winter at 1200' in the Monadnocks. 

Had 68" in 09-10 and 70" in 10-11 in Westchester.

Reminds me of when we moved from NNJ to BGR on 1/23/73, anticipating big snowstorms.  Dec. 1972 remains their snowiest on record for that month so there was a good pack, but our 1st week in Maine was a thaw.  Had a nice 8" dump in late Jan, followed 2 days later by 50° RA that wiped it out completely, and winter was essentially done though we had a 3-day pastefest in late Feb, 9" total while never being more than 4" deep.  Then in 73-74 we failed to even approach a 6" storm until one on the equinox, and BGR was contenting for its least snowy winter on record until early April brought a 9" powder event.  Only in Dec '75 did we get a double digit wintry storm.  Moved to Ft. Kent on 1/1/76, and though we had over 90" in Jan-Feb-Mar there wasn't a storm larger than 8".  Not until 76-77 did we see "real" Maine snow.

Ironically, the best period for big storms I've experienced was in NJ.  From 3/56 thru 2/61 we had 7 storms in the 18-24" range; nothing I've seen/shoveled since then has approached that super-thump period.

8 hours ago, tamarack said:

Reminds me of when we moved from NNJ to BGR on 1/23/73, anticipating big snowstorms.  Dec. 1972 remains their snowiest on record for that month so there was a good pack, but our 1st week in Maine was a thaw.  Had a nice 8" dump in late Jan, followed 2 days later by 50° RA that wiped it out completely, and winter was essentially done though we had a 3-day pastefest in late Feb, 9" total while never being more than 4" deep.  Then in 73-74 we failed to even approach a 6" storm until one on the equinox, and BGR was contenting for its least snowy winter on record until early April brought a 9" powder event.  Only in Dec '75 did we get a double digit wintry storm.  Moved to Ft. Kent on 1/1/76, and though we had over 90" in Jan-Feb-Mar there wasn't a storm larger than 8".  Not until 76-77 did we see "real" Maine snow.

Ironically, the best period for big storms I've experienced was in NJ.  From 3/56 thru 2/61 we had 7 storms in the 18-24" range; nothing I've seen/shoveled since then has approached that super-thump period.

The winter of 60-61 was the snowiest in Dobbs Ferry history with 90". All three major snowstorms were 15"+ there, and the town had 10 straight nights in the single digits. 

March 1960 was 32" in Dobbs Ferry.

Jealous you experienced 76-77 in northern Maine. The cold must have been amazing. What was your lowest max and min?

14 hours ago, nzucker said:

The winter of 60-61 was the snowiest in Dobbs Ferry history with 90". All three major snowstorms were 15"+ there, and the town had 10 straight nights in the single digits. 

March 1960 was 32" in Dobbs Ferry.

Jealous you experienced 76-77 in northern Maine. The cold must have been amazing. What was your lowest max and min?

76-77 was the snowiest of the 9 full winters there, with 186.7", but not the coldest, as it bottomed out at -35.  Coldest afternoon that season came in early Dec at -12 but was spoiled by the -5 at obs time the previous evening.  While in Ft. Kent I recorded 4 mornings in the -40s, all when we lived in town, -41 just 11 days after we moved up on New Year's day 1976, -42 and -47 on Jan 12 & 17, 1979, and -42 on Dec 22, 1980.  Also had a -39 on Jan 11, 1979, so that month had 3 of the 5 coldest mornings, and ironically, the only 5 Jan days with above freezing minima.  Once we moved to the back settlement about 450' higher, we lost the radiational cooling advantage - lowest in 4 winters there was -34 while folks reached -47 by the river in Jan 1984.  Coldest wind chill was in the back settlement on Jan 18, 1982.  That morning it was -34 with sustained winds to 30 mph and gusts over 40, WCI -101 on the old scale but a wimpy -72 on the new.  Got up to -14 for the max, 2nd coldest behind the -20/-34 on Jan 4, 1981.  (CAR's max that day was -16, also their coldest.  HUL recorded -16/-41 for the coldest mean I've seen from a non-mountain NNE co-op.)

The 7 giants of 1956-61:
24.0    3/18-19/56   My dad measured 23.5" in the front yard and it was still accumulating.
18.0"   2/15-16/58   Cold powder
24.0"  3/21-22/58   Paste bomb at 31-32°
18.0"  3/3-4/60    1st mid-teens snow I can recall (2/58 may also fit)   8" new as we boarded the bus at noon for early release.
18.0"  12/11-12/60   Low teens snow, winding down as we headed into the woods for NJ firearms deer season opener.  (Dad got nice buck, kept clean hands as he taught me how to field dress it.)
20.0"  1/19-20/61   "JFK inaugural storm"   Most came with temps about 10°  Started NYC's longest run of <32 maxima, 16 days ending with the 34 max on 2/4.
24.0" (conservatively, wicked hard to measure)  2/3-4/61   Milder, mid-upper 20s, but howling winds, NYC's strongest recorded in Feb.  Pack depth 42-45", over 50" to our NW.

Biggest difference fozz will see is more "snow on snow" events. His old stomping grounds in NE MD was pretty good for big storms. Plenty of 12"+ storms there and of course some 20"+ storms.

But they don't get a lot of moderate events in between with snow on the ground. N RI will have a lot more events where snow falls on top of existing snowpack. So if you are into the "winter appeal" aspect, then it's a positive change. 

• Like 1

Now this is some May.  

Just north of the town of Crested Butte, CO... looks to be just up the road past the base of the ski resort when you plot the coordinates.

41" of snow this month with a depth over 30" still on May 23rd :lol: 

Whoever does this station is real diligent and got 380" of snow this winter with a max depth of 93".   

Thats like living at the Mount Mansfield Stake climate.

IMG_3266.PNG.312cc874076427d709c08eb8557a8ad1.PNG