Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring 2019 New England Banter and Disco

HoarfrostHubb

5 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Welcome Fozz, Your snow climo just got a nice bump up.

That's the best part of this move, for sure. Not to mention being a lot closer to New England ski country.

I was just going to ask @ORH_wxman how much I can expect in that part of RI. I'm guessing something similar to Boston.

7 minutes ago, Fozz said:

That's the best part of this move, for sure. Not to mention being a lot closer to New England ski country.

I was just going to ask @ORH_wxman how much I can expect in that part of RI. I'm guessing something similar to Boston.

Welcome Fozz!

Depending on exactly where in the Woonsocket/Cumberland area you are, you can expect between lows 40s and low 50s for snowfall average.

I've circled the area those towns cover...the far SE side of Cumberland can be in the low 40s.

417001556_SNE_snowfall_NRI.thumb.png.998d1188d9d8f270545a7cca8133f8d4.png

You want to be north of 295 in Cumberland where the better hills are, and the extra latitude away from the bay def helps too...the area I circled in white is where you'll be in the 50"+ seasonal average range:

Cumberland.png.dad1a1ffdf34439195032b514f7fd539.png

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Welcome Fozz!

Depending on exactly where in the Woonsocket/Cumberland area you are, you can expect between lows 40s and low 50s for snowfall average.

I've circled the area those towns cover...the far SE side of Cumberland can be in the low 40s.

You want to be north of 295 in Cumberland where the better hills are, and the extra latitude away from the bay def helps too...the area I circled in white is where you'll be in the 50"+ seasonal average range:

I'm sure :cory:could shed some more light on this.  :nerdsmiley:

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Welcome Fozz!

That is super helpful... thanks!

I had a feeling the hills above 200' would be good spots, and 50" would be almost twice as much as my old average down in MD. As I search for apartments, the elevation will definitely be a factor for me.

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I'm sure :cory:could shed some more light on this.  :nerdsmiley:

Yep....lol. Resident world champion accordion man is from Cumberland.

Parts of the town are over 500 feet actually.

Just now, Fozz said:

I had a feeling the hills above 200' would be good spots, and 50" would be almost twice as much as my old average down in MD. As I search for apartments, the elevation will definitely be a factor for me.

Yeah its quite variable in elevation there. Obviously you gotta find the best availability for places to live....but anything up near Diamond Hill park is going to be pretty good. If you go to Woonsocket, you actually probably want to be on the southwest side of town near 146.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 12:04 PM, radarman said:

We have seen a few bluebirds this year.  Lots of cardinals, phoebes, wrens, robins, goldfinches, red bellied and pileated woodpeckers, and our ruby throated hummingbird friend that always appears shortly before the late blooming red azalea pops.  The tanagers were a first that I can recall.

:o

978C3073-3C88-4DD4-897C-96A8BE41B083.jpeg

Had the yellow female first which made me stare out the window for 20 mins waiting for a male.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Nrn RI is a good spot. 

Yeah it's sneaky good at times. Flies under the radar. Big gradient in northeast RI but Cumberland is typically on the better side of things....esp N of 295. 

Either way, as long as it's not a total ratter, his first winter should feel pretty snowy there. 

4 hours ago, Fozz said:

Twice as much and last alot longer :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

:o

978C3073-3C88-4DD4-897C-96A8BE41B083.jpeg

Had the yellow female first which made me stare out the window for 20 mins waiting for a male.

Congrats! I've seen more tanagers this week than in the preceding ten years. Also tons of yellowthroats, Cape May warblers, a couple blackburnians and the hummingbirds are back in force.

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it's sneaky good at times. Flies under the radar. Big gradient in northeast RI but Cumberland is typically on the better side of things....esp N of 295. 

Either way, as long as it's not a total ratter, his first winter should feel pretty snowy there. 

Last 20 yr average here is 61, imagine Fozz will be similar above 400 ft. 

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'm going to be looking around Cumberland Hill.. seems like a very nice location. I have a feeling that next winter will be a good one. 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

In any case, good to have you up here Fozz. May 14-15 come again.

I was just going to say, now that I'll be up north, I'm suddenly going to love Miller Bs and dread the thought of a 2009-10 repeat. I was actually lucky enough to go up to New England for the Feb 2013 blizzard (commonly called Nemo) back when AmyB still lived in Mass and I stayed at her place (total was 27"), but the rest of the time I've been on the outside looking in.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

RI really has some beautiful spots too. Newport is the place to be in the summer. Tons of stuff to do. I love that town. They have a great jazz fest among other stuff. Maybe bond with old school TWC music lol.

I'm really looking forward to all of it. The RI beaches, Boston, the GTGs with you guys, not to mention the skiing. 

15 hours ago, Fozz said:

I'm going to be looking around Cumberland Hill.. seems like a very nice location. I have a feeling that next winter will be a good one. 

I was just going to say, now that I'll be up north, I'm suddenly going to love Miller Bs and dread the thought of a 2009-10 repeat. I was actually lucky enough to go up to New England for the Feb 2013 blizzard (commonly called Nemo) back when AmyB still lived in Mass and I stayed at her place (total was 27"), but the rest of the time I've been on the outside looking in.

I'm really looking forward to all of it. The RI beaches, Boston, the GTGs with you guys, not to mention the skiing. 

2015 was kind of like 2010 for you guys except it lasted a bit longer and had and extra 3-4 feet of snow in the process. Think 90-110 inches in 3 weeks instead of 40-60". Pretty crazy stuff for both areas actually compared to climo.

Those stretches are rare so prob not happening again anytime soon but you'll prob see some 35-40" months within the next 2-3 years unless we get unlucky. 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

2015 was kind of like 2010 for you guys except it lasted a bit longer and had and extra 3-4 feet of snow in the process. Think 90-110 inches in 3 weeks instead of 40-60". Pretty crazy stuff for both areas actually compared to climo.

Those stretches are rare so prob not happening again anytime soon but you'll prob see some 35-40" months within the next 2-3 years unless we get unlucky. 

Hope he doesn't get the "Zucker" treatment - taught one year in SW NH, Monadnock country, and anticipated big snow.  It was 2011-12 and he saw less than he had the previous 2 seasons in the NY metro (where he's back to.)