Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring 2019 New England Banter and Disco

HoarfrostHubb

21 hours ago, dendrite said:

Love them. The only ones I may love more are indigo buntings.

Lots of activity this morning...orioles, rose breasted grosbeaks, hummers, catbirds, finches, etc. The only elusive feeder bird for me has been bluebirds.

It's weird, I never see the Orioles around here but have all the others you mentioned.

We also don't have birdfeeders out this year because of the herds of bears wandering around.  Every neighbor has had their feeders taken.  

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It's weird, I never see the Orioles around here but have all the others you mentioned.

We also don't have birdfeeders out this year because of the herds of bears wandering around.  Every neighbor has had their feeders taken.  

We keep a window feeder going.  It is about 12’ off the ground so the bears haven’t seemed to notice

6 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We keep a window feeder going.  It is about 12’ off the ground so the bears haven’t seemed to notice

Our is on a clothesline, about the same clearance.  Nowhere near the bird variety here that's being reported upthread, though the most blue jays we've seen there.  Red squirrels doing the high-wire act, too.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Our is on a clothesline, about the same clearance.  Nowhere near the bird variety here that's being reported upthread, though the most blue jays we've seen there.  Red squirrels doing the high-wire act, too.

Last week I had the dog outside and there was a group of maybe a dozen blue jays in a tree shrieking at us.  Such a racket.  I hate those birds

16 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Last week I had the dog outside and there was a group of maybe a dozen blue jays in a tree shrieking at us.  Such a racket.  I hate those birds

They're largely responsible for my no longer growing corn in the garden.  Our dogs have kept the coons away, but those winged robbers ate more corn than we did.

• Haha 1

On 5/4/2019 at 7:20 AM, S&P said:

.It’s amazing what they’ll let some people get away with. 50plus years there and no problems with wild life in the bay, then it became an issue , so spend 600M to put up cooling towers. Then do away with coal fired power plants, shut it down and bull doze the whole thing. What do they care it’s not their $.

I thought there was a power shortage in New England too......

Anyone familiar with MA vehicle inspection laws? 

My car failed inspection today for a blown out bulb running light, and worn tires. The guy said my car was “grounded” and that it would basically be illegal to drive it home. He said I could have it towed or leave it to be fixed.

What happened to 60 days with a rejection sticker? 

5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

My car failed inspection today for a blown out bulb running light, and worn tires. The guy said my car was “grounded” and that it would basically be illegal to drive it home. He said I could have it towed or leave it to be fixed.

https://www.mavehiclecheck.com/

5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Seems like I could have driven away with it. I left it to have the repairs done... but mostly because I thought I had no choice

Where did you take it?  I only go to someone I know personally.  Call Franks to see if they can shed any light on the laws.

56 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I think that if it is deemed “unsafe” you cannot drive it even with the R sticker.  If it failed due to emissions you could drive it and get it fixed.  I could def be wrong though

red R....black R is emissions

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I think that if it is deemed “unsafe” you cannot drive it even with the R sticker.  If it failed due to emissions you could drive it and get it fixed.  I could def be wrong though

red R....black R is emissions

Yeah... after some reading I think that’s correct. The tires make it “unsafe”, therefore it cannot be driven.

I knew the tires prob wouldn’t pass, but worth a shot anyway. Is what it is... $900 and change for new tires to be put on and I’ll have it back and passes tomorrow.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:55 AM, dendrite said:

Love them. The only ones I may love more are indigo buntings.

Lots of activity this morning...orioles, rose breasted grosbeaks, hummers, catbirds, finches, etc. The only elusive feeder bird for me has been bluebirds.

Have bluebirds at my feeders; they like the mealworms (dead) that Lowes sells locally down here.  First pair of nesting bluebirds in our yard has fledglings that are already sticking there heads out of the box.   This brood will likely be on their own within another week or 10 days... Usually they will start another brood by mid-June.