SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring 2019 New England Banter and Disco

HoarfrostHubb

5 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

don't know how people can live there

But it's a dry cold.  :lol:
The town's major "industry" has been fox farming - good market for fur in that climate.  They may have the greatest temperature span of anywhere on the planet, as they approach 90 in the summer.  I don't think the southern cold pole, where it's approached -130F, ever gets much above freezing (if at all.)  One might expect that the record temp span would be in an inland location within the largest continent.

I don't think I've seen this site mentioned but I recently came across a neat tool for looking at different layers of weather:

https://www.windy.com/?42.118,-72.606,5

There's a ton of different layers and it kind of reminds me of the SPC's Mesoscale Analysis tool but with layers that are not available there.  Just thought I would share it.

5 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

narrow tall turrets...  image.png.4205900a3623d90138ee7bc43346c5aa.png

I love being in the tropics and watching these things.  Surrounded with Bahama blue skies these things explode vertically with very sharp outlines.  Then the tops become ice crystals then they "rain out" and are gone as fast as they start only to be replaced with others in the vicinity.  Wish we had these up here popping up all day long.  As evening approaches and the atmosphere cooling off above the warm tropical waters they tend to get more numerous with nice light shows.  

17 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

I love being in the tropics and watching these things.  Surrounded with Bahama blue skies these things explode vertically with very sharp outlines.  Then the tops become ice crystals then they "rain out" and are gone as fast as they start only to be replaced with others in the vicinity.  Wish we had these up here popping up all day long.  As evening approaches and the atmosphere cooling off above the warm tropical waters they tend to get more numerous with nice light shows.  

Would I miss snow and severe? Sure. But I could probably live out the rest of my days in the trades and be just fine. 

So we just had a water softener and carbon filter installed because our well water was high in iron and had a very foul odor. This cost over $2300 dollars. 

The cold water is now clean with no odor, but the hot water, while clear, has a horrific sulfur/rotten egg smell. After doing some research, looks like the hot water heater, specifically the anode rod, could be to blame?

Anyone have experience with this, and did replacing the anode rod help? Just trying to get an idea before I have a plumber come out and drop a couple hundred more on this.

7 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

So we just had a water softener and carbon filter installed because our well water was high in iron and had a very foul odor. This cost over $2300 dollars. 

The cold water is now clean with no odor, but the hot water, while clear, has a horrific sulfur/rotten egg smell. After doing some research, looks like the hot water heater, specifically the anode rod, could be to blame?

Anyone have experience with this, and did replacing the anode rod help? Just trying to get an idea before I have a plumber come out and drop a couple hundred more on this.

Get a new one, not worth it. Cheap and you won't have to worry about it for 15 years 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Does it go away somewhat once the hot water runs for a bit? In my sink spray line there was a terrible sulfur smell that went away once I replaced the water line.

Not really... maybe a tad. The house was started in 2015... but not finished until late last year do to court proceedings with a contractor... so my guess is tank was put in around 2015 and just sat and it has been un treated well water until Wednesday 

Inside of tank might be toast.

66° and mostly sunny.  I think we may survive the meltdown with only a bit of flood damage.  There is some flooding just about every year but it seems like we are towards the end of that threat.  Lake Champlain is filling up.  Looks like it is just under 100.5', which is moderate flood stage.  Major flood stage starts at 101'.  The record is 103' in May 2011

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Over .75” now. Been a good drink

Postponed the Red Sox game tonight to a doubleheader tomorrow.

I had no idea how big of a rain shield that was down there.  I figured most were enjoying these crisp blue skies except E.MA.

Thank god this wasn't February...would be suppression depression.

MVsDzuU.jpg