Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring 2019 New England Banter and Disco

HoarfrostHubb

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Man what an afternoon. Nape scorched. Heavy, heavy red.

Yep,  what happened?  Those clouds came in mid AM and it was socked in looking NW on the sat.  Thought temp would bust way low but cleared out and ended up with 57.8F just about where the models had me. Almost made it to the warmest day of 2019,  missed by 1.1F

Another nice hit to the pack.  Now what is left is north slopes and woods.  Don't know what to expect tomorrow.  Light rain to snow in the AM?  Inch or two?  

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I thought it was early but the few I smacked looked like mosquitoes. 

I know exactly what you mean. They might be, but I could have sworn I heard they are some other insect that comes out early. Perhaps it is a mosquito,, but a different breed. They look different from the bastards that get you in the summer.

10 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

They aren't quite mosquitoes, but there is an insect that does look like them. I don't know the name, but I think mosquitoes are a few weeks away. 

Midges.  Same insect family (flies & mosquitos) as the skeeters but vegetarian.  Under magnification one can spot the feather-like antennae of the midge, rather than the skeeter spikes.

Some got in the house and staying cozy while their family members will suffer

One paper wasp showed up on an inside window this morning, but wasn't too cozy after I used the swatter.  Several years ago we had a half dozen or so make it inside over several May days.  First one crawled up my pant leg as I sat on the commode and nailed me as I walked into the LR.  I smacked the spot (can't kill one of those hard-shell critters by hitting it while it sits on thigh muscle) and then got a much bigger dose - made the 1st sting feel like a mosquito bite.

• Like 1

Speaking of bugs, birds and animals I still have not seen a chipmunk or squirrel in my area this spring.  Last fall we were over run with rodents.  Road kill everywhere.  Now there is not one.  Big die off with such a long snow cover up here in NNE?  I don't know but definitely weird.  Other people are noticing in my local facebook area group.  I have not found any info on the web as to what has happened.

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Speaking of bugs, birds and animals I still have not seen a chipmunk or squirrel in my area this spring.  Last fall we were over run with rodents.  Road kill everywhere.  Now there is not one.  Big die off with such a long snow cover up here in NNE?  I don't know but definitely weird.  Other people are noticing in my local facebook area group.  I have not found any info on the web as to what has happened.

I haven't seen a chippy, but I've seen a few greys hanging under my feeder. We seem to have a crapload of red squirrels though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

LGA went from 77 to 52 in about an hour 

lol...10 mins

19:50 57.2 44.6 50.4 63 19.6   ENE 29.68   29.70 Mostly Clear 10.00                   OK
19:45 69.8 46.4 56.4 43 12.7   NE 29.67   29.69 Mostly Clear 10.00                   OK
19:40 75.2 48.2 59.3 39 11.5   W 29.67   29.69 Mostly Clear 10.00  

You couldn't pay me to sit in that brick, mortar and iron cauldron for the Red Sox' seasonal opener/ceremonies...  

Holy hell... 

I suppose there is some slim chance it clears a bit... I was just noticing on hi res sat imagery ... if one were to be driving west on the Pike ...somewhere near Pittsfield or even a little E of that longitude, the sky abruptly clears..  It's like you drive up in elevations and out of the bowl of cryo vomit submerging the hapless civility fallen victim to SNE's uniquely topographically enforced sewer system of cold drainage..  Might even be some mt top under-casting going on..  But, imagery over the Gulf of Maine exposes and active WSW trajectory is still well-established so it's likely this is a sock -in fisting ...

Even if cold, a still wind and sun might make Fenway tolerable ... barring that, no way!

On 4/6/2019 at 3:39 PM, wxeyeNH said:

Mark your calender.  5 years from this Monday another total solar eclipse will cross N America.  A longer, darker eclipse as compared to last years and the path of totality goes through NNE.  As I posted many times  one of the highlights of my life was to experience a total eclipse in Aruba years ago.  It's a must do and you have to be in the path of totality or it's just meh.  Put your vacation day in now with your employer!

Boston gets a 93% eclipse, my location in red is 97% 

Weather in NNE this time of year is another story.

Untitled.jpg

I will have to be sure that I am in the Adirondacks at that time.  Mud season.  Yay.

3 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

You couldn't pay me to sit in that brick, mortar and iron cauldron for the Red Sox' seasonal opener/ceremonies...  

Holy hell... 

I suppose there is some slim chance it clears a bit... I was just noticing on hi res sat imagery ... if one were to be driving west on the Pike ...somewhere near Pittsfield or even a little E of that longitude, the sky abruptly clears..  It's like you drive up in elevations and out of the bowl of cryo vomit submerging the hapless civility fallen victim to SNE's uniquely topographically enforced sewer system of cold drainage..  Might even be some mt top under-casting going on..  But, imagery over the Gulf of Maine exposes and active WSW trajectory is still well-established so it's likely this is a sock -in fisting ...

Even if cold, a still wind and sun might make Fenway tolerable ... barring that, no way!

There was some NNE mtn-top undercast this morning.  Whiteface web cam showed undercast and so did MWN.  Mansfield was right at the level there at 4kft, sloshing back and forth.

Though now mid-level clouds have pushed in again with the next shortwave energy crossing NY state.

But good call on that undercast as this stratus has just been wedged in.

Can see the inversion sloshing a little on the Mansfield temp graph.  Brief spike as it went warm, calm and sunny above the inversion and then the clouds swarmed back in and it cooled off again.

Untitled.jpg.6a972e943256089ed0097cf6b6872733.jpg

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Just thought of something...with this blizzard in the northern Plains/upper-Midwest I wonder if we're looking at a perhaps all-time (if not pretty dang close) flooding event for the MO/MS Rivers. 

idk...I remember watching the 93 MS flooding on TV and that was pretty epic.

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

I've heard about that but don't know a whole lot about it. 

I was at the Arbor Day Center in Nebraska City for a forestry meeting in April 1994.  In my spare time I wandered back of the facility to a creek bed less than 1/4 mile from the Missouri.  The creek was maybe 4' wide and 4" deep, but 25' above that water was a giant tree trunk lodged horizontally into the embankment, undoubtedly marking the Missouri's flood peak of the previous summer.   Impressive.  (Less impressive, to me, was a report of the Mississippi's volume flowing past St. Louis at the 1993 peak.  Given in gallons/minute and thus a huge number, I reduced that to CFS - can't recall the exact number but I think between 1 and 2 million CFS.  That's for about a million square miles watershed.  Six years earlier the (relatively) tiny Kennebec - less than 6,000 sq.mi. - reached 232,000 CFS.  The relationship between watershed and river flow is far from linear, but I'd have expected the Big Muddy's record to be perhaps 50X that of the K'bec, not <10.)

32 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I was at the Arbor Day Center in Nebraska City for a forestry meeting in April 1994.  In my spare time I wandered back of the facility to a creek bed less than 1/4 mile from the Missouri.  The creek was maybe 4' wide and 4" deep, but 25' above that water was a giant tree trunk lodged horizontally into the embankment, undoubtedly marking the Missouri's flood peak of the previous summer.   Impressive.  (Less impressive, to me, was a report of the Mississippi's volume flowing past St. Louis at the 1993 peak.  Given in gallons/minute and thus a huge number, I reduced that to CFS - can't recall the exact number but I think between 1 and 2 million CFS.  That's for about a million square miles watershed.  Six years earlier the (relatively) tiny Kennebec - less than 6,000 sq.mi. - reached 232,000 CFS.  The relationship between watershed and river flow is far from linear, but I'd have expected the Big Muddy's record to be perhaps 50X that of the K'bec, not <10.)

Wow that is impressive!

That is very interesting...never really explored concept of watershed and river flow. Might have to do this