• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring 2019 New England Banter and Disco

HoarfrostHubb

Mark your calender.  5 years from this Monday another total solar eclipse will cross N America.  A longer, darker eclipse as compared to last years and the path of totality goes through NNE.  As I posted many times  one of the highlights of my life was to experience a total eclipse in Aruba years ago.  It's a must do and you have to be in the path of totality or it's just meh.  Put your vacation day in now with your employer!

Boston gets a 93% eclipse, my location in red is 97% 

Weather in NNE this time of year is another story.

Untitled.jpg

• Like 1

Jackman may briefly be one of the most heavily populated towns in Maine - red line looks to pass over the golf course north of town.  Of course, if it's like THIS April 8, not so good.  P&C has them at 7-14" with 5-9 during the day Monday.  GYX/CAR have WS watch posted for the northerly parts of their CWAs.  Would be a real bummer to have thick clouds for the only nearby full solar of one's lifetime.  Last 2 lunar eclipses have been ruined by clouds here, but that's a thousand times less frustrating than losing a solar.

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Mark your calender.  5 years from this Monday another total solar eclipse will cross N America.  A longer, darker eclipse as compared to last years and the path of totality goes through NNE.  As I posted many times  one of the highlights of my life was to experience a total eclipse in Aruba years ago.  It's a must do and you have to be in the path of totality or it's just meh.  Put your vacation day in now with your employer!

Untitled.jpg

Oh man.  I'd watch that from the top of the mountain for that one for sure. 

No doubt there's probably only a 30% chance of actually seeing it without clouds.

Today would've been a no go.  Guess it would get dark though regardless. 

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

So jealous.  High of 41F at MVL so far and thick, low OVC obscuring the clouds.  

Preserving the pack?  :lol: 

22" at 3 this afternoon - might lose another inch to U-40s.  Pack held 8.44" LE, or 38% water.  That's a bit overstated, as several crusts were 70%+, the in-betweens 35 or less.  Still almost ripe and tomorrow should push it closer.  Hope that 2-3" RA out in clown range goes away.

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That’s insane. I guess it shows you how strong the sun has an effect on temps when it’s out.

Yeah solid gradient.  Got 30s near the international border and well into the 60s in parts of SNE.  

There's a huge gradient from NE VT over to the Champlain Valley where the sun has broken out.  

IMG_2808.thumb.PNG.651e9120dffd3182817b3c672258b2e0.PNG

11 minutes ago, tamarack said:

22" at 3 this afternoon - might lose another inch to U-40s.  Pack held 8.44" LE, or 38% water.  That's a bit overstated, as several crusts were 70%+, the in-betweens 35 or less.  Still almost ripe and tomorrow should push it closer.  Hope that 2-3" RA out in clown range goes away.

Damn, 22" still.  I'm down to 8-10" though there are a lot of snow free areas popping up around town.  

IMG_2778.JPG.cc0cc77819b5aff5969abe05897b2e59.JPGIMG_2779.JPG.ab16894f39894f1f2d3d364ccebf9906.JPG

Already quite a bit of talk in ski community about the eclipse. My wife's family in Centex will be path of totality too. Probably less chance of clouds there! I was in England in '99 and where it was around 97% and is wasn't very impressive...like the sun going behind a thick cloud on a sunny day. 

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Untitled.jpg

Going to have to do some research. Maybe a great time to go back to Iceland. Thanks for the heads up!

12 minutes ago, Angus said:

Already quite a bit of talk in ski community about the eclipse. My wife's family in Centex will be path of totality too. Probably less chance of clouds there! I was in England in '99 and where it was around 97% and is wasn't very impressive...like the sun going behind a thick cloud on a sunny day. 

Champlain Valley might be the best place up this way as they see more available sunshine than anywhere else up here.

47 minutes ago, Angus said:

Even at 99.5% its not super impressive.  Like someone once said, it's like almost being dead and being dead.  You have to be under the path of totality

45 minutes ago, geo1 said:

Going to have to do some research. Maybe a great time to go back to Iceland. Thanks for the heads up!

Geo1, Iceland misses it.  The best place to view it is on the west coast of Mexico.  The resort city of Mazatlan gets almost unlimited sunshine in April and is on the ocean.  Take a Mexico vacation and watch it but I bet you need to book now.  Here's the path https://www.eclipse-chasers.com/php/tseCalculatorBig2.php?TSE=tse2024d

When I was a kid we went up to the Gaspe Peninsula to see the one.  Driving down the road six people in a station wagon looking at the sky for a hole in the clouds and our watch to get the time driver included nobody looking at the road until NOW we stopped and piled out.  That wall of black coming down the St. Lawrence blew my mind.  I looked right at the sun thinking if I go blind this might as well be the last thing I see.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Geo1, Iceland misses it.  The best place to view it is on the west coast of Mexico.  The resort city of Mazatlan gets almost unlimited sunshine in April and is on the ocean.  Take a Mexico vacation and watch it but I bet you need to book now.  Here's the path https://www.eclipse-chasers.com/php/tseCalculatorBig2.php?TSE=tse2024d

Thanks for the great info!

38 minutes ago, Tom12309 said:

When I was a kid we went up to the Gaspe Peninsula to see the one.  Driving down the road six people in a station wagon looking at the sky for a hole in the clouds and our watch to get the time driver included nobody looking at the road until NOW we stopped and piled out.  That wall of black coming down the St. Lawrence blew my mind.  I looked right at the sun thinking if I go blind this might as well be the last thing I see.

March 7 1970?   Carly Simon's song.  You flew your lear jet up to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun, your so vain"

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/b32e70e6-7ff3-487c-8263-bc7f544c14aa

2 hours ago, geo1 said:

Iceland will be a great spot if you want to miss it. ;)

Definitely make plans for the one on 2024 because that's it in North America until the 2040s.

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Could not agree more. It’s a truly awe inspiring event. I drove to SC for the last one and while the anticipation was special the actual period of totality was extraordinary. Stars came out, street lights came on, and the temperature dropped. There was almost silence in the crowd. 

Can’t access my pictures right now but here’s one I posted on this board (top) and a better one posted by a friend of totality in Oregon.

33F13AB4-3E63-41D9-B75B-525206EFA724-13036-00000BB3E5850949.jpeg

IMG_0266.JPG

I was in Sullivans Island, SC for it and it was the coolest things I've ever seen. Nothing really compares to it. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Oh’ boy, ticks are out in numbers.  Already pulling them off the kid and dogs.  I swear, April and October are the worst for deer ticks. 

Every time I work out in the woods I have to do a check and I'm always finding one.  We never had so many growing up and I always wondering why until I started putting out a game camera for a YouTube project and when I saw 10-15 deer walking by I knew why.  It's amazing how prolific they are.  I rarely see them when I'm just walking in the woods but they are there!

11 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

March 7 1970?   Carly Simon's song.  You flew your lear jet up to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun, your so vain"

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/b32e70e6-7ff3-487c-8263-bc7f544c14aa

93% in NNJ for that one.  It was like twilight but with sun high in the sky.  Odd, but the only reason we stopped nailing shingles was the novelty - there was plenty of light to keep working.