Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring 2019 New England Banter and Disco

HoarfrostHubb

IMG_4507.thumb.jpg.0e00c9a0cdc75273b1ee126c9323adf3.jpg
IMG_4511.thumb.jpg.16fc812b95feace351093303e3d411b9.jpgIMG_4519.thumb.jpg.ce3bdbe9455522ffafb3001be9cad81e.jpg

Took this week off and did some skiing at the river and one last ride out of North Lovell, ME headed up to Evans Notch. Skiing has been phenomenal and riding was better than expected.

Lots of snow just north of where I am in Harrison. Bridgton/Harrison is basically melted out but Waterford north there is still feet on the ground. Walking around off the sled today and I was postholing 3+ feet in spots. Looking forward to chances over the next 10 days.

Evans Notch was mint two weeks ago

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Glad things are ok. As a friend once said, life is short, youth is shorter. Go shake things up and come back when we have a mega event. 

Best of luck! 

Exactly! It's time to return and spend more of my youth with my family and friends. Thank you! 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, WxBlue said:

Hey y'all! Unfortunately, my time in New England has come to a sudden end. Something came up that brought me back to North Carolina and I decided to move all of my stuff back ASAP. With that said, I'll definitely miss tracking wild winter storms with y'all on here. My first winter here, 2017-18, will always be a legendary with 106" of seasonal white stuff, 43" of snow in 5 days during March 2018, and witnessing foot plus depth for the first time ever... never mind a two feet depth I experienced during March 2018. I don't think I'll ever see anything like that again. Thanks for fun memories, y'all :)

Best of luck!

12 hours ago, NW_of_GYX said:

I setup and collected budworm traps for a former employer in townships along the St John. Seems like folks aren’t all that worried up there. Less fir then there used to be I guess

Still plenty of fir, especially in the clearcuts made during the last outbreak in the 70s-80s.  Those trees are just reaching the stage where they're prime budworm food.  Fortunately the forests we manage have a high spruce-to-fir ratio compared to the state as a whole, the product of ruthless cutting of fir during the past 35 years.  The current outbreak is so far concentrated north of the places that got hammered 35-40 years ago.  And that one hit farther north than the one in the 19-teens.  Maybe the warming climate has some positive effects?  However, forest managers are concerned - I was part of the budworm task force a few years back, a multi-pronged effort attempting to plan for a potential outbreak.  Have not seen the results of last fall's L-2 (overwintering larvae) sampling, but the pheromone traps haven't caught all that many.

Saguenay is between Lac St.-Jean and where those pics were taken.  I'm guessing the pics may have been of seasonal places near the provincial park, as it doesn't look like any snow removal was being done.  The balsam wooley adelgid has been around for many decades, and has been especially destructive in eastern Maine.  Of course, any species near the edge of its range is vulnerable.

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Still plenty of fir, especially in the clearcuts made during the last outbreak in the 70s-80s.  Those trees are just reaching the stage where they're prime budworm food.  Fortunately the forests we manage have a high spruce-to-fir ratio compared to the state as a whole, the product of ruthless cutting of fir during the past 35 years.  The current outbreak is so far concentrated north of the places that got hammered 35-40 years ago.  And that one hit farther north than the one in the 19-teens.  Maybe the warming climate has some positive effects?  However, forest managers are concerned - I was part of the budworm task force a few years back, a multi-pronged effort attempting to plan for a potential outbreak.  Have not seen the results of last fall's L-2 (overwintering larvae) sampling, but the pheromone traps haven't caught all that many.

Saguenay is between Lac St.-Jean and where those pics were taken.  I'm guessing the pics may have been of seasonal places near the provincial park, as it doesn't look like any snow removal was being done.  The balsam wooley adelgid has been around for many decades, and has been especially destructive in eastern Maine.  Of course, any species near the edge of its range is vulnerable.

Is that any different from hemlock wooley adelgid?  We have that here and my understanding is that it was blown over from Long Island in Hurricane Gloria is 1985.  It's been pretty destructive but there are still areas that have larger hemlock populations.  

It's funny that we don't have native balsam forests but we do have large tracks of pine/hemlock and other evergreenswith few deciduous trees.  Bigelow Hollow is a good example of that.

3 hours ago, MetHerb said:

Is that any different from hemlock wooley adelgid?  We have that here and my understanding is that it was blown over from Long Island in Hurricane Gloria is 1985.  It's been pretty destructive but there are still areas that have larger hemlock populations.  

It's funny that we don't have native balsam forests but we do have large tracks of pine/hemlock and other evergreenswith few deciduous trees.  Bigelow Hollow is a good example of that.

Not an entomologist, but I'm guessing they're 2 separate species but in the same genus.  I don't know if there's any crossover, such as HWA feeding on fir or vice versa.  Balsam fir is a northern species, part of the boreal forest, while hemlock gets increasingly scarce as one gets into northern Maine.  Spotted a few fir near I-84 in NE PA; other than those I've not seen any south of NNE.  And it's only an assumption that they were balsam - the nearly identical Fraser fir is common at high elevation in the central/southern Apps.  In the Allagash-Estcourt-St.-Pamphile triangle I worked during my 10 years with seven Islands, we found a few scattered hemlocks but the only hemlock stand (mixed with red spruce) is on the SE public lot in the town of Allagash.  Balsam wooley adelgid was never an issue in that part of the state.  Its hegemony was mainly east of the Penobscot and south of I-95, and the critter really likes the maritime fir downeast.  Whether a warming climate means it will spread northward remains to be seen.

3 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

It's kind of awesome to see that the record high at PWM on January 1st and 2nd is still in the late 1800's (1876 and 1890 respectively). 

There's lots of 1800s record highs still in the books...especially at CON. NYD 1876 was an epic torch and is still the only time CON has ever hit 70F in January (72F).