Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring 2019 New England Banter and Disco

HoarfrostHubb

13 hours ago, MetHerb said:

The very dark will be what they used to call Grade B.  In a pinch, try the dark.  Like I said, it spans what was dark amber and Grade B.  Not only is it about flavor it's about light transmittance.  That's how it's graded, not just flavor.  There is a "processing grade" beyond very dark, but allows for off flavors like buddy or metabolism - both are not good.  It can be mixed which is why commercial buyers will also buy that and blend it.

I have some very dark but in bulk containers.  When I pack it in some smaller containers I'll PM you if you are interested.

I am interested in dark with flavor 

19 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

On a humorous note, the weed shop in Greenfield opened its doors for recreational purchases yesterday and the detail officer told me there was basically light traffic at best.   I asked him if anybody was surprised by that since weed is basically free in Franklin County?  

weed is huge business in every county.  Northern Herb just got busted in Milton $18 million. 

8 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Haha yeah, the problem up here is that tracking tropics is like tracking snow in Las Vegas. Even if you overcome ENSO and bad environmental conditions in the Atlantic, you still need a perfectly timed upper level pattern and a sufficiently strong storm to get a legitimate event up here. 

I think we're overdue if you look at historical return times for a landfalling hurricane, but that doesn't mean much. 

I chase from time to time, so if there's a Gulf or EC threat I perk up. 

Agreed. Following the tropics up here is like playing the lottery without wasting any money. Odds simply aren’t in your favor even if it is something that can/does happen from time to time. 

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

On a humorous note, the weed shop in Greenfield opened its doors for recreational purchases yesterday and the detail officer told me there was basically light traffic at best.   I asked him if anybody was surprised by that since weed is basically free in Franklin County?  

As they become more common, they will be as uniteresting news-wise as a local liquor store.

On a sad note, Lefty's is closing down.  I've had some decent beer from them.

19 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Meanwhile in Valin, Que

North of St. Lawrence was getting all snow while northern NNE had significant P-type issues, and that place is about 140 miles north of Quebec City - obviously buried, maybe 300" or more?   Off topic, but I was impressed at how good those balsam fir looked.  Budworm has been ravaging north of the St. L for 5-6 years but those trees look unscathed.  The worst has mostly been east of there, but a hot spot occurred in the Chicoutimi/Lac St.-Jean region west of Valin.

Hey y'all! Unfortunately, my time in New England has come to a sudden end. Something came up that brought me back to North Carolina and I decided to move all of my stuff back ASAP. With that said, I'll definitely miss tracking wild winter storms with y'all on here. My first winter here, 2017-18, will always be a legendary with 106" of seasonal white stuff, 43" of snow in 5 days during March 2018, and witnessing foot plus depth for the first time ever... never mind a two feet depth I experienced during March 2018. I don't think I'll ever see anything like that again. Thanks for fun memories, y'all :)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Hey y'all! Unfortunately, my time in New England has come to a sudden end. Something came up that brought me back to North Carolina and I decided to move all of my stuff back ASAP. With that said, I'll definitely miss tracking wild winter storms with y'all on here. My first winter here, 2017-18, will always be a legendary with 106" of seasonal white stuff, 43" of snow in 5 days during March 2018, and witnessing foot plus depth for the first time ever... never mind a two feet depth I experienced during March 2018. I don't think I'll ever see anything like that again. Thanks for fun memories, y'all :)

Hope everything is ok and you get back to visit sometime. 

2 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Hope everything is ok and you get back to visit sometime. 

Things are okay :) Just need to shake my life up a bit more while I'm still young. I'll definitely try to come back often... y'all have a gorgeous region!

• Like 1

Just now, WxBlue said:

Things are okay :) Just need to shake my life up a bit more while I'm still young. I'll definitely try to come back often... y'all have a gorgeous region!

We could have shown 3,4 and 5 foot snow depths in places up her this year. That would have filled up your weather bucket list. Lol

Wild weather day for sure.  

Sunny and near 50F early this afternoon up at the ski resort.  Then we got the rare treat of it snowing legit snowflakes at 45F (like double and triple check the thermometer) with the really dry low levels in place.  

We just missed the thundersnow complex that hit Jay Peak (check their social media) to our north and the sun came back out.  Then we started getting 50mph winds knocking shit all over the base area, trash can lids were like frisbees.  

Now its 38F and pounding a mix of graupel and snowflakes in town with a white coating starting to take hold.  

6 hours ago, SlantStickers Anonymous said:

Between the offseason options of following the tropics for a longshot event, rooting for record dews, and tracking thunderstorms in far western MA and CT, I generally go with following the tropics. 

My favorite time of year.

prelim #s are 14/5/3 with one EC lf, one gulf.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

North of St. Lawrence was getting all snow while northern NNE had significant P-type issues, and that place is about 140 miles north of Quebec City - obviously buried, maybe 300" or more?   Off topic, but I was impressed at how good those balsam fir looked.  Budworm has been ravaging north of the St. L for 5-6 years but those trees look unscathed.  The worst has mostly been east of there, but a hot spot occurred in the Chicoutimi/Lac St.-Jean region west of Valin.

Is this up by Saguenay? If so, that's a lot of latitude and this season's pattern has favored that area big time. The wiki page on Saguenay says the average is 132" per year, which seems low for that far north especially if Quebec City is 119". Heck, my average is probably around 120-125". 

I wish my balsams looked like that. Then again being near the southern limit of their native range (they're sparse at my latitude below about 1,500' and non existent below 1,000') they're susceptible to parasites like wooly adelgid and hemlock borers which have likely become more numerous with the warming climate. 

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

I setup and collected budworm traps for a former employer in townships along the St John. Seems like folks aren’t all that worried up there. Less fir then there used to be I guess

IMG_4507.jpg
IMG_4511.jpgIMG_4519.jpg

Took this week off and did some skiing at the river and one last ride out of North Lovell, ME headed up to Evans Notch. Skiing has been phenomenal and riding was better than expected.

Lots of snow just north of where I am in Harrison. Bridgton/Harrison is basically melted out but Waterford north there is still feet on the ground. Walking around off the sled today and I was postholing 3+ feet in spots. Looking forward to chances over the next 10 days.

1 hour ago, NW_of_GYX said:

IMG_4507.jpg
IMG_4511.jpgIMG_4519.jpg

Took this week off and did some skiing at the river and one last ride out of North Lovell, ME headed up to Evans Notch. Skiing has been phenomenal and riding was better than expected.

Lots of snow just north of where I am in Harrison. Bridgton/Harrison is basically melted out but Waterford north there is still feet on the ground. Walking around off the sled today and I was postholing 3+ feet in spots. Looking forward to chances over the next 10 days.

Man how sweet is this. Have to love this time of year in snow country.