Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Spring 2019 New England Banter and Disco

HoarfrostHubb

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

The 10" depth from that Northfield site on cocorahs this morning is lol worthy. Toss that garbage to Franklin and make heroin out of it.

I've seen times where more than half of my town was practically bare but you'd still have yards with solid cover.  What are you supposed to do?  Pretend you don't have snow in your yard?  

14 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I've seen times where more than half of my town was practically bare but you'd still have yards with solid cover.  What are you supposed to do?  Pretend you don't have snow in your yard?  

I have like the most in town being on the sheltered north side of my hill and it’s still only 2-4”. There’s no way anyone in town here has 10” of solid cover. 

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Nothing says April 1st like watching dry powder blow across the yard from last night's fake fluff.  

26F with winds gusting 20-30mph and plumes of powder blowing off the rooftops.

The sun looks deceivingly nice out again. 

Yeah, 33-34F here and not much melting. I hadn't looked at much, but saw MOS had 43F for CON so I was hoping for upper 30s to knock out more snow, but it's not happening.

34 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah, 33-34F here and not much melting. I hadn't looked at much, but saw MOS had 43F for CON so I was hoping for upper 30s to knock out more snow, but it's not happening.

My wife is gonna lose it.  First thing she asked this morning was "Why did it snow?"  I tried to make the claim that a little 1-2" coating just covered the mud and dirty snow and she claimed she loves the mud.  Because mud is the next step to green and she hasn't seen the yard since like Halloween.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I have like the most in town being on the sheltered north side of my hill and it’s still only 2-4”. There’s no way anyone in town here has 10” of solid cover. 

Sounds like snow envy...you should go over there and bask in the solid 10" snow cover lol.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.439202,-71.5372351,109m/data=!3m1!1e3

3 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

How's the sugaring season going?

It's been good.  I had a "flood" of sap a couple weeks ago when things thawed out but things have been more normal since then.  I have taps from Somers to Woodstock so it's amazing to see the differences between elevation and geography.  This week will be my last one though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

That could be the path to our shed (which would be about where that propane sits) and the woods are similar as well , though with fewer spruce-fir the pieces are larger and more scattered.  Trivia note: researchers have found that such litterfall is up to 1/3 of what deer eat when yarded up in winter.

Brief warmup early afternoon yesterday, high of 52 tops for March and tied Feb max - in both 17 and 18 March failed to reach the Feb high.  0.31" RA with a few flakes at the end.  Only lost 1" of pack, now 26".  Probably still close to 10" LE in that stuff; Saturday plans for a core lost out to cutting firewood. 

The deer vacate my area when the snow begins at the end of the fall or soon thereafter and head for the valleys. They'll return when we leaf out and stay until the snow returns the following winter.

My total for today's upslope ended up at 6.0", which was a nice surprise. I had to snow blow the driveway. 

By the time I was down in the valley by the MA line there was only a dusting that was pretty much all but gone everywhere except for the shady areas. It never ceases to amaze me how localized these events can be. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

It's been good.  I had a "flood" of sap a couple weeks ago when things thawed out but things have been more normal since then.  I have taps from Somers to Woodstock so it's amazing to see the differences between elevation and geography.  This week will be my last one though.

Do you have a vinyl setup?

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Can't see Northfield from here, but I'm sure folks here know that totals can vary across a short distance (both horizontal and vertical.)  On March 10 my pack was 1" taller than at the Farmington co-op.  On March 29 (their data for 30-31 not yet on Climod) I had 11" more.  My place in the woods holds pack well, though most near the house are bare-limbed ash and maple.  The Farmington site is more open, with scattered trees.

Nice clean-looking snowbanks at Roxbury.  Do you know the elevation there?

24 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

It's been terrible up here. Coworker hasn't gotten much and it's still a darker amber.

35 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Sounds like snow envy...you should go over there and bask in the solid 10" snow cover lol.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.439202,-71.5372351,109m/data=!3m1!1e3

7 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Can't see Northfield from here, but I'm sure folks here know that totals can vary across a short distance (both horizontal and vertical.)  On March 10 my pack was 1" taller than at the Farmington co-op.  On March 29 (their data for 30-31 not yet on Climod) I had 11" more.  My place in the woods holds pack well, though most near the house are bare-limbed ash and maple.  The Farmington site is more open, with scattered trees.

Punt it. He's the yellow dot. You can put a little blue dot in for me too below the 2nd "n" in Franklin.

depth.png

8 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Roxbury Maine I presume. That area between Rumford and Oquossoc is rural. Just looking at a map...there is a wind farm that parallels rt. 17 now. I've never drive 17 in winter, I imagine one big frost heave!

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

It's been terrible up here. Coworker hasn't gotten much and it's still a darker amber.

Seems to be the theme across alot of NH. Meanwhile, down here I've gotten more sap out of my trees than last year. Shorter than normal season, but alot of sap when it ran 

Just now, wx2fish said:

Seems to be the theme across alot of NH. Meanwhile, down here I've gotten more sap out of my trees than last year. Shorter than normal season, but alot of sap when it ran 

My 6" soil has been stuck at 31-32F since Jan. Usually it's 33-34F by now. I was up at Just Maple in Tilton last weekend and they said it has been slow for them too...and they have one of those big vacuum setups.

5 minutes ago, Angus said:

Roxbury Maine I presume. That area between Rumford and Oquossoc is rural. Just looking at a map...there is a wind farm that parallels rt. 17 now. I've never drive 17 in winter, I imagine one big frost heave!

From the trail up there, There are like 12 of these across the ridge.

Windfarm.PNG