• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring 2019 New England Banter and Disco

HoarfrostHubb

Sort of weather related.... Thermodynamics is going to be the future of heating and cooling. Moving heat and not creating it using zero fossil fuels is where we are headed...

The theoretical efficiency has major room for improvement.  You can now buy a mini split/heat pump with almost 500% efficiency.

I just installed another mini split and combined with my solar panels I am aiming towards 100 percent heating/cooling using the sun...

Thermodynamic heat pump cycles or refrigeration cycles are the conceptual and mathematical models for heat pumps and refrigerators. A heat pump is a machine or device that moves heat from one location (the "source") at a lower temperature to another location (the "sink" or "heat sink") at a higher temperature using mechanical work or a high-temperature heat source.[1] Thus a heat pump may be thought of as a "heater" if the objective is to warm the heat sink (as when warming the inside of a home on a cold day), or a "refrigerator" if the objective is to cool the heat source (as in the normal operation of a freezer). In either case, the operating principles are identical.[2] Heat is moved from a cold place to a warm place.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Sweet

“These values are within the acceptable range. This probably means that your sensor is sited correctly and is calibrated correctly.”

4 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Sorry that equipment calibration doesn’t meet scooters high standards

Take BOS for example. That effects climo data, and met wx conditions. When they claim they receive 10" of snow at temps of 34F (pretty much won't ever happen) and the sensor measures ice accretion at 33F...something is up. 

Well you have home and official sites that get factored into the error analysis now. BOS obviously has a much different geography than sites even a bit inland. ASOS temps are near instantaneous too so they catch warm ‘bubbles’ during the day a little better, but of course the 5 minute averaging smooths that out too. Some of these home sites are sheltered in shade and more and more have fans to negate solar effects. The sensor housing leads to a brief lag on Davis stations as well...other stations tend to have even more of a lag. What does it all mean? No clue...lol. But I think ASOS siting isn’t always perfect. Many have lots of dirt and runway nearby. Some have rocks around the sensor suite and they’re all mounted in concrete. So it’s not like they’re measuring over Kevin’s lush lawn or my continuously soggy backyard. But there are a few ASOS sites that do seem to be consistently warmer for whatever reason. 

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Well you have home and official sites that get factored into the error analysis now. BOS obviously has a much different geography than sites even a bit inland. ASOS temps are near instantaneous too so they catch warm ‘bubbles’ during the day a little better, but of course the 5 minute averaging smooths that out too. Some of these home sites are sheltered in shade and more and more have fans to negate solar effects. The sensor housing leads to a brief lag on Davis stations as well...other stations tend to have even more of a lag. What does it all mean? No clue...lol. But I think ASOS siting isn’t always perfect. Many have lots of dirt and runway nearby. Some have rocks around the sensor suite and they’re all mounted in concrete. So it’s not like they’re measuring over Kevin’s lush lawn or my continuously soggy backyard. But there are a few ASOS sites that do seem to be consistently warmer for whatever reason. 

It's definitely more noticeable on a few sites for whatever reason. I gave my examples earlier for Logan...but a few sites are quite mild. OWD is pretty much tossed. At least KTAN isn't egregious. 

Here’s mine. I tend to run cooler on the north side of my hill and even cooler in the summer since I have trouble fully drying out we get a lot of evapotranspiration. I also don’t use the stock fan that runs on 3V...mine runs on 9V so I get better aspiration.

822E0A0F-FBE5-43E7-A465-027A8C4DC200.png