Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring 2019 New England Banter and Disco

HoarfrostHubb

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

39F cloudy, wood stove roaring away.  Down to the last 50 pieces of wood

Got any accessible white ash near the house?  As the firewood poem goes, "Ash wood green or ash wood dry, a king shall warm his slippers by."  Get it before the Emerald Ash Borer gets there.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Got any accessible white ash near the house?  As the firewood poem goes, "Ash wood green or ash wood dry, a king shall warm his slippers by."  Get it before the Emerald Ash Borer gets there.

Lots of ash around here including 2 next to my house.  Just waiting for the EAB to arrive.

I was just ruminating back to 1998 ...  21 years ago - seems sort of weird when you say it that way.

But, March 29, 30 and 31st of that year were 89 to 91 F each afternoon.  This thing? Today?  Seems like shaving pubic hairs around here getting a day like today on March 30 - that musta been one hellluva fantastic anomaly back in the day...  Considering it's been 21 years with no return ... the rate is 0.   Speak volumes

Went for a ride, last 200 feet of altitude going over the ridge at 10:30 had to pop at least ten degrees warmer and wind was blowing *hard* from the south.  Half an hour later rolling into the valley it had mixed down.  40 degrees gentle breeze at 9am 65 and windy at noon.  Unmulched the roses.  F'ing squirrels ate all the crocus bulbs.

Warm front got so close today.  I made a time-lapse clip of the afternoon.  30 seconds long.  Skip to about 15 seconds in.  The clearing approaches from the south but as it gets almost to me the low clouds keep forming so the clearing never gets in.

Temp rose from upper 30's in the AM to 42F late afternoon and now back in the upper 30's with clouds now lowering and filled back in

https://video.nest.com/clip/0c3648f8c8bc44bfb8bceb7b404076a2.mp4

7 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Warm front got so close today.  I made a time-lapse clip of the afternoon.  30 seconds long.  Skip to about 15 seconds in.  The clearing approaches from the south but as it gets almost to me the low clouds keep forming so the clearing never gets in.

Temp rose from upper 30's in the AM to 42F late afternoon and now back in the upper 30's with clouds now lowering and filled back in

https://video.nest.com/clip/0c3648f8c8bc44bfb8bceb7b404076a2.mp4

We got sun here, but the sfc front never made it through. 39F with a NNE wind now. :axe:

Jeezus, the cold front came blasting through so quickly, temp went from 67 to 47 in 30minutes or less. Officially leaf out in Nashville. The maples have noses or helicopters. Not all the trees have leafed out. Im not too good on my species yet, but lots of persimmon, hackberry, ash, and elm...with some maple and red oak. I'm dreading the summer dews :(  tomorrow it's supposed to be a cold wind and temps in the 40s. The sun is strong. I keep forgetting to sunscreen my nose.

• Like 1

So the FV3 fixes were implemented at the end of February. 

In a nutshell this past summer and fall they discovered a couple problems with how snow was melting under warm conditions and calculating the solar zenith angle. If was fixes to those problems that created excess accumulating snow in marginal conditions, and exacerbated the lower level cold bias (which also affected snow accumulation).

The new fix to those problems now looks at the fraction of frozen precip when it comes to accumulations, and the cold bias has been reduced. So far the AC scores are much improved. More or less matching the UKMET over the last month.

• Like 2

I heard peepers this morning on my drive to the sugarhouse.  That's another sign of the changing seasons.

Still some patches of snow in the woods at higher elevations around here.  I was picking up some sap yesterday and it was interesting to see the temperature difference between areas.  Near 70° in one place and low 60s in the woods that still have snow patches.

16 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I heard peepers this morning on my drive to the sugarhouse.  That's another sign of the changing seasons.

Still some patches of snow in the woods at higher elevations around here.  I was picking up some sap yesterday and it was interesting to see the temperature difference between areas.  Near 70° in one place and low 60s in the woods that still have snow patches.

Peepers out in force here.  69F yesterday. 57F currently.