Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring 2019 New England Banter and Disco

HoarfrostHubb

5 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:
Data for November 1, 2018 through March 26, 2019
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
State
Name
Station Type
Total Snowfall
VT MORGAN 6.7 SE CoCoRaHS 215.0
VT AVERILL COOP 212.0
VT SHEFFIELD 4.5 WNW CoCoRaHS 201.9
NH MOUNT WASHINGTON WBAN 201.2
VT GREENSBORO 3.9 NNE CoCoRaHS 200.3
QC MONT STE-ANNE GHCN 191.8
VT JEFFERSONVILLE COOP 188.1
NH PITTSBURG 6.1 NE CoCoRaHS 187.3
NH RANDOLPH 1.4 NE CoCoRaHS 184.3
VT WATERBURY 3.0 NW CoCoRaHS 184.0
VT CABOT 3.9 ENE CoCoRaHS 178.6
NH HERMIT LAKE SNOWPLOT COOP 175.0
VT WESTFIELD 0.7 WNW CoCoRaHS 172.0
VT WOODBURY 3.4 NNW CoCoRaHS 163.6
VT GREENSBORO 2.1 NNW CoCoRaHS 163.6
ME VAN BUREN 2 COOP 160.1
NH FIRST CONNECTICUT LAKE COOP 160.0
VT SUTTON COOP 155.6
VT WHEELOCK 1.6 S CoCoRaHS 154.4
VT UNDERHILL 4.4 NNE CoCoRaHS 152.5

CAR would make the list if October snow was included.

16 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The pack here has been steadily melting/sublimating/evaporating away without many mud issues. We're down to 8" now, and we've only had 1.36" for March so far. These days with sun and RH's in the 10s and 20s help a lot.

Anything tilted southward is getting crushed by the sun despite the temperatures.  Now we are getting to the point where there's bare ground showing up on some south facing houses around town, but then you'll get into some shaded area and it's like 24-30" deep.    My wife and I stopped by a friend's place that is sheltered by big huge pines (similar to like HippyValley) and his fence is still completely buried with just the top of the posts showing.  It was eye opening, like that poor guy's lawn won't be snow free for a long time. 

5 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:
Data for November 1, 2018 through March 26, 2019
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
State
Name
Station Type
Total Snowfall
VT MORGAN 6.7 SE CoCoRaHS 215.0
VT AVERILL COOP 212.0
VT SHEFFIELD 4.5 WNW CoCoRaHS 201.9
NH MOUNT WASHINGTON WBAN 201.2
VT GREENSBORO 3.9 NNE CoCoRaHS 200.3
QC MONT STE-ANNE GHCN 191.8
VT JEFFERSONVILLE COOP 188.1
NH PITTSBURG 6.1 NE CoCoRaHS 187.3
NH RANDOLPH 1.4 NE CoCoRaHS 184.3
VT WATERBURY 3.0 NW CoCoRaHS 184.0
VT CABOT 3.9 ENE CoCoRaHS 178.6
NH HERMIT LAKE SNOWPLOT COOP 175.0
VT WESTFIELD 0.7 WNW CoCoRaHS 172.0
VT WOODBURY 3.4 NNW CoCoRaHS 163.6
VT GREENSBORO 2.1 NNW CoCoRaHS 163.6
ME VAN BUREN 2 COOP 160.1
NH FIRST CONNECTICUT LAKE COOP 160.0
VT SUTTON COOP 155.6
VT WHEELOCK 1.6 S CoCoRaHS 154.4
VT UNDERHILL 4.4 NNE CoCoRaHS 152.5

Those 200"+ amounts in the NEK of Vermont are pretty crazy.  I mean that's a lot of snow and they are away from the real upslope zones.

Makes my 135" seem like child's play....but even J.Spin has had 50" more than me as he usually does, ha.

John in Pittsburg is up to 213". I think hes the cocorahs report on that list. Not sure why it's only 187", must be missing a few days in the database.  

Hes been keeping records since 05 and his max is 220". Good chance thatll be eclipsed this season

8 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

That snowfall map was interesting.  In actuality, if we had super-resolution the snowfall in the hills and mountains of C/NNE snofall would be all over the place.  Take my 10 mile neck of the woods area. (yellow line)  I have 2 friends that are very good observers.  Bristol NH at 500 feet is around 80"  I'm at 1100 feet at 98".  My friend at the top of the hill around 1600 feet is at 120".  The big elevated November storm was part of that disparity however I'm sure all elevated areas and upslope and downslope have even more differences than this over a shorter area.

snow.jpg

Absolutely. The differences around here are amazing and not necessarily elevation driven. The area on Rt 3 just north of Franconia Notch always has significantly less snow than just north or south. I think it downslopes from every direction lol. 

Stake still at 33" here. Probably the deepest, most consistent and most prolonged snowpacks since moving here. My lower level window is still buried!

A0C96EA7-1143-4AE7-AB03-65E76021D58B.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wx2fish said:

John in Pittsburg is up to 213". I think hes the cocorahs report on that list. Not sure why it's only 187", must be missing a few days in the database.  

Hes been keeping records since 05 and his max is 220". Good chance thatll be eclipsed this season

If he had more than 5 missing days of reports he would not be in that list

Alex...that's awesome.  The bench or mid-slope elevations are just buried right now.  1,500ft is where the snowpack gets to another level.

Nice evening here on the valley floor.  I love these sunny days in the spring.  It's light until 7pm.

Dark, low albedo surfaces (like Dendrite mentioned recently) melt rapidly but the mud hasn't been bad at all so far.

mk1xtDU.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wx2fish said:

He definitely misses some online reports, but always fills out his website. We are actually backfilling the info locally so that we can run our snowfall forecasts against his observations to find out just how bad we are up there. Because we're bad, the question is just how bad. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just a quick post to congratulate all the members who've had a fantastic and most deserved (after watching SNE benefit time and time again the past 5 years or so) snowfall/winter season!

I enjoy big snowfall events, in general, but have to be more judicious with chases limited to historic blizzard-type events.  This typically requires a chase in SNE...of which no such opportunity presented itself, this season, surprisingly.   Then again, that regression to the mean was overdue considering the past 5 seasons I've been chasing in the NE.  

Once again, very happy for the NNE crew.  Hoping next season provides another opportunity or two to visit this part of the country! :)

Has anyone else noticed the absence of squirrels this spring? We were overrun with them in the fall. Must have been 20-30 of them with nests in the Oaks. They took every acorn that fell in what was a very light acorn season , so there was no cleanup from that. I remember posts on here about people seeing them running all over into the streets in the fall, and you’d see them everywhere and they were obese. Now there are none. We had several owls here this winter. Wondering if they got them ? Do they kill squirrels?

17 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Has anyone else noticed the absence of squirrels this spring? We were overrun with them in the fall. Must have been 20-30 of them with nests in the Oaks. They took every acorn that fell in what was a very light acorn season , so there was no cleanup from that. I remember posts on here about people seeing them running all over into the streets in the fall, and you’d see them everywhere and they were obese. Now there are none. We had several owls here this winter. Wondering if they got them ? Do they kill squirrels?

They are out-of-control at my house.

57 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That’s how it was in the fall. But there’s honestly not one. For weeks . No digging up lawn or anything . Owls FTW I guess 

We have seen a big drop in squirrel and chipmunk populations at my house.  Bobcats, foxes, fishers, and owls ftw.  We have all of them on my property

Something (mice?) made a nest in my wife's engine compartment though.  MAF sensor ftl

Took my last snowmobile ride of the season last night.  Beautiful night to be out.  Clear and cold.  Tons and tons of snow.  I got sucked off the trail and stepped of into snow that was between my waist and chest deep.  I too am now ready to move on from winter.

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

• Like 1

We have seen a big drop in squirrel and chipmunk populations at my house.  Bobcats, foxes, fishers, and owls ftw.  We have all of them on my property

Something (mice?) made a nest in my wife's engine compartment though.  MAF sensor ftl

Those little bastards made a mess of my brand new truck last year when I had to keep it parked outside for a few weeks. I'd set a trap, kill one, thinking they were gone, then another week later, pop the plastic engine cover off and another nest appeard:thumbsdown:

9fc7f43857d52d08574dc975e7108000.jpg

• Like 1

Lots of squirrels, a gazillion turkeys, and shockingly very little mud.  Watched a turkey fly from our roof, across the street, and over the neighbor's house - never seen a turkey fly that far before.  Actually saw a deer in our yard for the first time on Monday.  Exciting spring time activity in SNE.