• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Spring 2019 New England Banter and Disco

HoarfrostHubb

Pack's kind of stale after this weekend, but it was still 31" this morning, so calm/clear tonight would see temps drop like a head-shot goose.  I'd guess teens if the wind doesn't quit until late, singles if it calms early. (No match for 2014, though - had -15/-17 on 3/24-25, with a fresher 40" pack.)

25 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Perfect I mean perfect ski conditions.  Fast and furious with with a hair of wetter snow on the very top gliding the skis faster. Days like this are few in many a year. Ugh

What a day dude.  The sky is so blue and the mountains are plastered with snow.

54728740_10103691515624960_5953555752999

• Like 5

4 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Thank so much for this detailed explanation.

I probably should add that melting is a latent cooling process too. If you think of the stages of water as having increasing energy from solid to liquid to gas, anytime you go up a phase change to a higher energy state it requires taking the energy from the environment. So the snow needs heat energy to complete the phase change from solid to liquid. It takes that thermal energy from the air around it. Up in a cloud, if you have condensation (gas to a liquid droplet) or deposition (gas directly to an ice crystal) the H2O is "losing" heat to the environment. We talk about latent heating a lot with convection and hurricanes because of the massive amounts of condensation being produced by those types of systems.

Deposition, Condensation, Freezing >>> Latent heating of the air

Sublimation, Evaporation, Melting >>> Latent cooling of the air

So in the case of a day like today, we have temps near 40F in much of NH with RH near 15%. So we're getting a little of all 3 latent cooling processes. IOW, not much loss in the heart of the pack, but probably a decent amount lost along exposed edges.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

My snow hating neighbor has not only spent hours snow blowing snow into the sunnier parts of his yard this week, he is now out hacking away at a plow pile and walking shovels full of snow out to the sunnier part of his driveway.  To each their own and enjoy!

What a waste of time.

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Heading to SR on the 5th. Hoping we don't get any rainers or big warmup (other than this wknd) before then.

I left SR just as it started to warm up this morning. Ton of snow on that mountain and still deep in town Bethel. South of Waterford the pack took a noticeable hit yesterday. Word is they’re closing early this year along with sugarloaf because of staffing issues 

I left SR just as it started to warm up this morning. Ton of snow on that mountain and still deep in town Bethel. South of Waterford the pack took a noticeable hit yesterday. Word is they’re closing early this year along with sugarloaf because of staffing issues 
Any idea of how early? We have a one night mountain stay that we bought earlier at discount and says we have to use it by weekend of the 6th. I thought that was odd but i doubt they're closing that early.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

*Sunday, April 21, is planned as our earliest potential final day for skiing. The season could be extended to add a fourth weekend based on conditions and weather, but this decision is not made until mid-April. Stay tuned.

28 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Any idea of how early? We have a one night mountain stay that we bought earlier at discount and says we have to use it by weekend of the 6th. I thought that was odd but i doubt they're closing that early.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The 21st, a week earlier than is typical. They’ll start closing terrain midweek after the 6th.