• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2019 Complaint/Banter Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

Major airport weather stations have to get their act together and strive for accuracy; MKE's weather station is always several degrees higher than surrounding ones on offshore warm days like yesterday and today.  Both days they hit 90F, but Timmerman and Waukesha, the closest local ones, were both in the mid 80s.  Meanwhile ORD was generally lower than the weather stations around them, which I find odd as others have mentioned.  As a weather geek, it kind of irks me that we can't trust major local airport weather stations as accurate imo.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, wisconsinwx said:

Major airport weather stations have to get their act together and strive for accuracy; MKE's weather station is always several degrees higher than surrounding ones on offshore warm days like yesterday and today.  Both days they hit 90F, but Timmerman and Waukesha, the closest local ones, were both in the mid 80s.  Meanwhile ORD was generally lower than the weather stations around them, which I find odd as others have mentioned.  As a weather geek, it kind of irks me that we can't trust major local airport weather stations as accurate imo.

I have complained multiple times about Detroit having the same issue that you describe in Milwaukee. It seems it's not a problem with the thermometer themself, but rather the immediate area/environment surrounding the station, as well as exact station location. The thermometer itself is probably accurate, but i admit it irks me when tenths of degrees are so important for certain things, but official climate records are VERY subject to changes from past years due to asos placement.

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 2:02 PM, michsnowfreak said:

I have complained multiple times about Detroit having the same issue that you describe in Milwaukee. It seems it's not a problem with the thermometer themself, but rather the immediate area/environment surrounding the station, as well as exact station location. The thermometer itself is probably accurate, but i admit it irks me when tenths of degrees are so important for certain things, but official climate records are VERY subject to changes from past years due to asos placement.

I see DTW recorded two 90F days consecutively this latest warm period as well, probably intrahour.  In Milwaukee I don't know if it's the urban location, I always thought either the direction it was facing (I'm leaning towards east because it always seems to heat up quickly in the morning) or being on the tarmac.  A local met said it was not on the tarmac, but I'm still not convinced it produces an accurate reading for the local area.

On 7/30/2019 at 9:09 PM, wisconsinwx said:

I see DTW recorded two 90F days consecutively this latest warm period as well, probably intrahour.  In Milwaukee I don't know if it's the urban location, I always thought either the direction it was facing (I'm leaning towards east because it always seems to heat up quickly in the morning) or being on the tarmac.  A local met said it was not on the tarmac, but I'm still not convinced it produces an accurate reading for the local area.

Yes they did. And unlike Milwaukee, DTW is not located in the urban core, rather it is an outlying area.  Actually near the airport is a sort of rural area, and the South end of the airport valleys so temperatures get much colder, especially at night. On February 20, 2015 when DTW officially had -13゚, when I drove by that spot on the South side of my car registered -22゚. I would not want the thermometer located there either, because thats sort of unfairly low, but I too am convinced that the current placement of the thermometer is causing readings to be a bit elevated compared to surrounding areas.

• 3 weeks later...

Not in our area...but all-time record high temps are possible in western TX today.  From NWS Midland:

Let`s cut to the chase this morning - it`s going to be extremely,
dangerously hot today. An Excessive Heat Warning remains in effect
for the entire area, with the exception of only northern Lea
county, the mountains of West Texas and Southeast New Mexico, and
the Presidio Valley, where Heat Advisories are in effect.
Temperatures this afternoon will soar into the 100s areawide (you
won`t even be able to get away from the heat in the mountains
today), and records are expected to fall. Yesterday, Midland set a
new record high temperature for the month of August of 108
degrees, and today`s forecast high of 113 would easily top that,
as well as be the hottest temperature we`ve ever had this late in
the calendar year. For a little perspective, if we hit 113 today,
it`ll be Midland`s third hottest day on record, beaten only by
June 27th and June 28th 1994 (116 degrees and 114 degrees,
respectively). We cannot stress enough how dangerous today`s heat
will be, and encourage everyone to follow heat safety rules, and
be cognizant of the symptoms and dangers of heat related illness.

Per this morning`s water vapor imagery, an elongated ridge of
high pressure remains anchored over the region, with a deepening
trough extending from the Upper Midwest to the central Gulf Coast.
An 850hpa thermal ridge will help drive temperatures up this
afternoon, with latest guidance indicating 850hpa temperatures of
around +33C to nearly +37C by later today. The NAM and GFS came in
closer to the warmer ECMWF guidance for temperatures aloft,
though at the surface, per Sunday`s verification, guidance has
continued to under-forecast high temperatures. Have continued to
lean toward the warmer ECMWF guidance, with deep mixing expected
to yield surface temperatures this afternoon of 105-115 degrees
across lower elevations, and 100-105 degrees across the higher
terrain.

5 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Imagine if we had +37C 850 mb temps in our area.  Probably impossible though. :lol:

Yeah...  

Midland TX (MAF) is up to 112, which is a new August monthly high.  Records go back to 1930.  The old August monthly high was 108, and the daily record high was 103 (!).  There have only been two higher temps on record:  116 on 6/27/1994, and 114 on 6/28/1994. 

Edit: MAF hit 113.

21 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Yeah...  

Midland TX (MAF) is up to 112, which is a new August monthly high.  Records go back to 1930.  The old August monthly high was 108, and the daily record high was 103 (!).  There have only been two higher temps on record:  116 on 6/27/1994, and 114 on 6/28/1994. 

Impressive to beat the records by that much.

Yeah, I don't think 850's can get much above 30C once you get east of the Mississippi or so, and even that is really rare.  I know ILX had an ob of 30C back in 2012.

36 minutes ago, Stebo said:

If we did someone in the plains would have an 850mb temp over 45c.

Boy I really wish we had RAOBs from the Dust Bowl years.  But I have gone back and looked at reanalysis from some of those hottest days and they generally had mid-upper 20C 850 mb temps advecting into the region, which with good mixing and pronounced drought conditions would've enabled those 105-110+ type readings.  

Please remove this comment if its type isn't allowed, but I have to admit that I'm absolutely dying for weenie season to start. This is such an amazing community and I can't wait to learn more from you all and to keep sharing our passion for the wonder that is winter weather.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Malacka11 said:

Please remove this comment if its type isn't allowed, but I have to admit that I'm absolutely dying for weenie season to start. This is such an amazing community and I can't wait to learn more from you all and to keep sharing our passion for the wonder that is winter weather.

Hang around in the Dorian thread for a while and you will get a glimpse of weenies.

• Haha 1

On 9/5/2019 at 9:15 AM, beavis1729 said:

Tampa FL had a low of 84 this morning, and it will probably hold through midnight since no rain is expected.  This would be their 2nd warmest min on record; the highest is 85 on 8/27/2011.

Currently in Tampa (10 AM local time), it's partly cloudy and 87/79/101.  Just brutal...

It did hold.

• 2 weeks later...