• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2019 Complaint/Banter Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

Totally agree with Hoosier's comments on the 100% vs 99% regarding the eclipse. There's a world of difference.  Glad I went down to Harrisburg IL rather than staying in the EVV area for the 2017 eclipse.  I'll be 73 if I'm still around at that time...so thankful to see the magnificent display in 2017.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hoosier said:

As someone who witnessed the total in 2017, I'd highly recommend getting into the totality zone.  Being in the 99% area seems like it would be pretty much the same as 100%, but it's not.  There's significant dimming at 99%+ but I couldn't believe how rapidly the surroundings changed in the final seconds.  

The difference is like night and day.

• Haha 2

On 4/9/2019 at 10:35 AM, IWXwx said:

I will be 66 and will hopefully be retired by then. I may have to drive 15 miles to my southeast to truly get the total eclipse but will probably just be watching from my back yard. :sizzle:

2024 Solar Eclipse.png

I'm 5 behind you.  Maybe we'll have a Quantum forecast computer in a couple years so we can plan ahead lol.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NegativeEPO said:

Been hearing some talk about a potential year without a summer actually transpiring this year. Is there much truth to that? It wouldn't surprise me tbh.

Pinatubo, Krakatoa and Yellowstone all erupting tomorrow.  Decade without a summer

• Haha 2

This crap has got to stop.  We can't string together more than 36-48 hours of decent dry weather.  It was impossible to get the yard raked last fall and now it's impossible to get the yard raked let alone mowed so far this spring.  I desperately need a good 4 day stretch of mild dry weather to get anything done.  A day and a half of decent weather followed by 2-3 days of rain, wind and cold then if lucky 2 days of dry weather then repeat.  I have like a 24 hour window once or twice a week to do anything outside and it's been like this since October (cold in winter excluded of course).  I don't think I've seen such miserable timing with these weather systems in my 7 years back in Indiana.

Edit:  And btw it seems like every weekend a weather system moves through for the last 6 months.  Can't even get a decent Sat. and Sun.  Started noticing this in Dec.  We had some kind of precip probably more than 70% of the time over the weekend for the last 6 months.  7 day forecast below is getting really old.....

Tonight
Showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 5am. Low around 40. Northwest wind 5 to 15 mph becoming northeast after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
Sunday
Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. High near 46. East northeast wind 7 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
Sunday Night
Showers likely, mainly before midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 34. Northwest wind around 14 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Monday
Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 53. West northwest wind around 11 mph.
Monday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 43. South wind 6 to 9 mph.
Tuesday
Partly sunny, with a high near 70.
Tuesday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 55.
Wednesday
A 20 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 70.
Wednesday Night
A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 57.
Thursday
A chance of showers and thunderstorms, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 8am. Cloudy, with a high near 69. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Thursday Night
Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 50. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Friday
A 30 percent chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 58.
Friday Night
A 30 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 42.
Saturday
A 30 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 55.

1 hour ago, Jackstraw said:

This crap has got to stop.  We can't string together more than 36-48 hours of decent dry weather.  It was impossible to get the yard raked last fall and now it's impossible to get the yard raked let alone mowed so far this spring.  I desperately need a good 4 day stretch of mild dry weather to get anything done.  A day and a half of decent weather followed by 2-3 days of rain, wind and cold then if lucky 2 days of dry weather then repeat.  I have like a 24 hour window once or twice a week to do anything outside and it's been like this since October (cold in winter excluded of course).  I don't think I've seen such miserable timing with these weather systems in my 7 years back in Indiana.

Edit:  And btw it seems like every weekend a weather system moves through for the last 6 months.  Can't even get a decent Sat. and Sun.  Started noticing this in Dec.  We had some kind of precip probably more than 70% of the time over the weekend for the last 6 months.  7 day forecast below is getting really old.....

Same thing here. I have also noticed that the crappiest weather has been on weekends more often than not. I keep waiting for the switch to get flipped so I can a backlog of outdoor work done.

1 hour ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Ive noticed with almost every system the severe weather threat seems to be greater to the south. So im curious as to what month is the best month for severe weather in the southern midwest ? Would it be May?

May through mid-July for Indiana, at least in terms of general severe weather. This loop is pretty good to get an idea of trends throughout the year:

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/new/SVRclimo/climo.php?parm=anySvr

2 hours ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

I wonder why theres less tornadoes in May than April ?

Same reason November has more than Aug Sept and Oct, April and November have had large outbreaks in the past which puts them ahead of neighboring months.

You end up with fewer severe weather days in those months but when they do happen they tend to be big. 

On 4/13/2019 at 12:34 AM, NegativeEPO said:

Been hearing some talk about a potential year without a summer actually transpiring this year. Is there much truth to that? It wouldn't surprise me tbh.

On 4/13/2019 at 7:12 AM, CoalCityWxMan said:

Yes. Heard it won’t get above 80 all year

Where do I place my bets against that happening? :P

Even 1992 and 2009 had a couple 90*F+ days, lol.

Back to back chilly/cloudy days. Was hoping when I read the forecast for the week that it would feel warmer than it does. Last two days seemingly have underperformed or at the very least have felt seasonably cool with heavy cloud cover. Watch a movie type days.