Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2019 Complaint/Banter Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

The % Sun number measures the percentage of time between sunrise and sunset that sunshine reaches the ground. Total Hours is the average number of sunny hours the city normally has in a year. Clear Days is the average number of days annually when cloud covers at most 30 percent of the sky during daylight hours.

Hours of sunshine are the means calculated for 1961 to 1990. Indianapolis is the top row of hours and Seattle the bottom.

J        F      M      A       M      J       J       A       S      O      N      D      Total 
132.1 145.7 178.3 214.8 264.7 287.2 295.2 273.7 232.6 196.6 117.1 102.4 2,440.4

55%  Clear Days - 88

69.8 108.8 178.4 207.3 253.7 268.4 312.0 281.4 221.7 142.6   72.7   52.9

47% Clear Days - 58 

I have a hard time believing Indianapolis averages more sun than Seattle in June and July, especially since Seattle is further north and has more daylight.

14 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

I have a hard time believing Indianapolis averages more sun than Seattle in June and July, especially since Seattle is further north and has more daylight.

My chart might be hard to read, but Seattle does beat out Indy in July and also in August. Believe it or not, other than a near-tie in March, Indy wins every other month of the year.

One of the absolute worst starts to summer I can ever remember. Temps running right around -3.5 for the month, wouldn’t be bad if the damn rain would stop. 

This pattern has been relentless.

Honestly though, I said this back in April, this spring/early summer has been very 2013 ish. 

Thank goodness the 21st has passed.  DST just flippin' sucks.  Still daylight at 9:30 and twilight after 10?  DST wasn't so bad down south but when I moved back here it blew my mind.  Especially since IN was a holdout.  I don't give a crap about the advantages they spout out.  If I wanted to live in the land of the midnight sun I'd be there.  Stop f%^&ing with my clock!

14 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Thank goodness the 21st has passed.  DST just flippin' sucks.  Still daylight at 9:30 and twilight after 10?  DST wasn't so bad down south but when I moved back here it blew my mind.  Especially since IN was a holdout.  I don't give a crap about the advantages they spout out.  If I wanted to live in the land of the midnight sun I'd be there.  Stop f%^&ing with my clock!

I really just feel like we should be on Central time. Daylight savings time and time changes don't bother me, but it's ridiculous when the sun rises at 8:00 AM in the dead of winter and sets after 9:00 PM in summer. I feel that if everything was shifted backwards an hour all would be better. I lived in Illinois for a while as well, and the sunrise/sunset times seemed to make a lot more sense there, with the only issue being how early the sun would set in the winter.

6 hours ago, The_Doctor said:

I really just feel like we should be on Central time. Daylight savings time and time changes don't bother me, but it's ridiculous when the sun rises at 8:00 AM in the dead of winter and sets after 9:00 PM in summer. I feel that if everything was shifted backwards an hour all would be better. I lived in Illinois for a while as well, and the sunrise/sunset times seemed to make a lot more sense there, with the only issue being how early the sun would set in the winter.

This.

3 hours ago, NegativeEPO said:

I would take a 9:30 sunset over an 8:30 sunset in a heartbeat. Sucks big time being so far east in the central time zone. There’s nothing good about living here honestly. I seriously might consider moving.

Think of all the things you will miss complaining about, if you move.

• Like 2

Was driving by a local outdoor fest earlier when the heavens opened up.  I mean torrential, blinding rain.  There were some tents off in the distance but there was a row of porta potties that was much closer to where some folks were.  I was wondering if any of them was going to opt for a porta potty to take cover instead of making a lengthy run to a tent.  Wasn't able to see what happened since I was just driving by.  If I were one of them, I probably would've settled for a porta potty lol. 

Always have a plan B.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got woken up in the middle of the night by my phone alerting to a flash flood warning. All for a measly 0.60” in my rain gauge. Just the eastern 1/4 of the county got anything of consequence, but LOT went trigger happy farther west. It was great! :axe:

1 hour ago, Chicago WX said:

Got woken up in the middle of the night by my phone alerting to a flash flood warning. All for a measly 0.60” in my rain gauge. Just the eastern 1/4 of the county got anything of consequence, but LOT went trigger happy farther west. It was great! :axe:

Happened to me too.  The flooding sounds pretty bad to my south/west.  

Just saw some 90-degree stats for Chicago on NWS LOT's page.  Not intending to be critical...but I think there are a couple of errors.  First, where is 2012 in the list?  It had 46 90+ days, I believe.  Second, the existence of a "latest first" date implies that every year had at least one 90+ day...but I don't believe this is correct.

Chicago

Normal First Date 90 deg: June 8 Normal Last Date 90 deg: August 28
Earliest First: April 10, 1930
90 degrees
Earliest Last: July 1, 1967
90 degrees
Latest First: Sept 14, 1915
90 degrees
Latest Last: Oct 6, 1963
94 degrees

Average Number of Days with High Temperature of 90 Degrees or Higher

May June July Aug Sept Annual
0.5 3.0 5.9 3.6 1.0 14

Greatest Number of Days with Maximum Temperature 90 Degrees or Higher in Any Year
1.  47 (1988) 6.  36 (1954)
2.  46 (1955, 1988) 7.  35 (1964, 1971)
3.  42 (1953, 1983) 8.  34 (1944)
4.  39 (1959) 9.  33 (1977, 1987)
5.  38 (1952) 10. 32 (1934)

Greatest Number of Days with Max Temperature 90 Degrees or Higher By Month
Apr May June Jul Aug Sept Oct
2 (1930) 10 (1977) 16 (1954) 19 (1955,1987) 18 (1947) 9 (1931) 2 (1971)

• Like 1