• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2019 Complaint/Banter Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

I'm starting to think this garbage, relentless, cold and wet pattern is related to the solar minimum. We're entering a deep solar minimum. Going to have to wait a few years at very least for this pattern to break. Might not see a warm year again until maybe the mid 2020s.

4 hours ago, NegativeEPO said:

I'm starting to think this garbage, relentless, cold and wet pattern is related to the solar minimum. We're entering a deep solar minimum. Going to have to wait a few years at very least for this pattern to break. Might not see a warm year again until maybe the mid 2020s.

:violin:

Just gotta laugh how a -NAO was so hard to come by last winter, but has been so prevalent in the past couple months.  I think the correlation with temps does become less as you get into summer, meaning that a -NAO is not as likely to result in below average temps (for example, 2012 was a -NAO summer).  This is where looking at actual maps/patterns helps.

nao.sprd2.thumb.gif.be019d0da13d79de02cd8d7667f01845.gif

On 6/9/2019 at 2:21 PM, Hoosier said:

Just gotta laugh how a -NAO was so hard to come by last winter, but has been so prevalent in the past couple months.  I think the correlation with temps does become less as you get into summer, meaning that a -NAO is not as likely to result in below average temps (for example, 2012 was a -NAO summer).  This is where looking at actual maps/patterns helps.

nao.sprd2.thumb.gif.be019d0da13d79de02cd8d7667f01845.gif

A 2012 summer can start at anytime now.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

Happy GFS "Upgrade" Day!

I seem to remember that the GFS has had some problems in the summertime with dew points too high (75-80 degrees) in generally moist time periods in the Midwest. I wonder if this upgrade may improve that somehow.

Interesting that ORD has only had 4 days with high temps of 82+ so far in 2019, with zero days of 84+. Not sure what the average # of 82+ days is for ORD by June 13th in any given year, but it has to be significantly higher that what we've seen in 2019.  Normal high this time of year is 80, but it ramps up quickly to 85 by the end of June.

Strangely enough - despite all of the whining about how chilly it has been this Spring, the overall mean temp for the period April 1st - June 13th at ORD has been essentially normal.  Just not a lot of excessively cool or warm days.

To me, this apparent contrast illustrates that it's still fairly early in the warm season for NE IL, given the lake influence.  I generally consider "consistent summer" at ORD to be June 10th - Sep 10th, as opposed to May 15th - Sep 10th in other areas of IL away from the lake. 

No complaints from me; even with the excessive rainfall, temps have been fairly pleasant in May/June so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beavis1729 said:

Interesting that ORD has only had 4 days with high temps of 82+ so far in 2019, with zero days of 84+. Not sure what the average # of 82+ days is for ORD by June 13th in any given year, but it has to be significantly higher that what we've seen in 2019.  Normal high this time of year is 80, but it ramps up quickly to 85 by the end of June.

Strangely enough - despite all of the whining about how chilly it has been this Spring, the overall mean temp for the period April 1st - June 13th at ORD has been essentially normal.  Just not a lot of excessively cool or warm days.

To me, this apparent contrast illustrates that it's still fairly early in the warm season for NE IL, given the lake influence.  I generally consider "consistent summer" at ORD to be June 10th - Sep 10th, as opposed to May 15th - Sep 10th in other areas of IL away from the lake. 

No complaints from me; even with the excessive rainfall, temps have been fairly pleasant in May/June so far.

The average number of 82+ days by now is about 10 days.  Rough and dirty estimate... could be off by a day or so.  In any case, definitely running behind the average for those days.

17 hours ago, Chinook said:

I seem to remember that the GFS has had some problems in the summertime with dew points too high (75-80 degrees) in generally moist time periods in the Midwest. I wonder if this upgrade may improve that somehow.

This new GFS is terrible. Has a very severe cold bias that they STILL haven’t fixed yet for some reason.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Is there any time of year where sunshine dominates in the midwest? Seems like winter, spring, and summer is primarily cloudy and rainy. Maybe fall ? I'm convinced that the midwest is even cloudier than the Pacific  northwest. 

I grew up on the Kitsap Peninsula, just west of Seattle. All 18 years of my child/early adulthood! It rarely rains in the summer. We would get the occasional onshore flow bringing us clouds off the Pacific, and maybe a bit of drizzle, but there is sunshine galore from about May-October.

Not only does Fort Wayne (where I live now) get more annual rain than Seattle, it is far cloudier. Fall in Indiana, however, has proven to be the most reliable and pleasant of seasons. Lots of sun, stunning color, and an occasional severe threat to keep things interesting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Is there any time of year where sunshine dominates in the midwest? Seems like winter, spring, and summer is primarily cloudy and rainy. Maybe fall ? I'm convinced that the midwest is even cloudier than the Pacific  northwest. 

The % Sun number measures the percentage of time between sunrise and sunset that sunshine reaches the ground. Total Hours is the average number of sunny hours the city normally has in a year. Clear Days is the average number of days annually when cloud covers at most 30 percent of the sky during daylight hours.

Hours of sunshine are the means calculated for 1961 to 1990. Indianapolis is the top row of hours and Seattle the bottom.

J        F      M      A       M      J       J       A       S      O      N      D      Total 
132.1 145.7 178.3 214.8 264.7 287.2 295.2 273.7 232.6 196.6 117.1 102.4 2,440.4

55%  Clear Days - 88

69.8 108.8 178.4 207.3 253.7 268.4 312.0 281.4 221.7 142.6   72.7   52.9

47% Clear Days - 58