• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2019 Complaint/Banter Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

And the saga of misery continues around here...

Tonight
Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Low around 48. Light north northeast wind becoming northwest 8 to 13 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
Friday
Showers likely, mainly before 9am. Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 61. Breezy, with a northwest wind 20 to 23 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 40. West northwest wind 7 to 15 mph.
Saturday
A 50 percent chance of showers after 2pm. Increasing clouds, with a high near 57. West southwest wind 5 to 8 mph becoming south in the afternoon. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Saturday Night
Showers likely, mainly between 8pm and 2am. Cloudy, with a low around 41. South southeast wind around 16 mph becoming west southwest after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Sunday
A 30 percent chance of showers before 8am. Partly sunny, with a high near 56.
Sunday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 40.
Monday
Showers likely, mainly after 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 61. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Monday Night
Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before 8pm, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 46. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Tuesday
A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 62.
Tuesday Night
A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Cloudy, with a low around 51.
Wednesday
A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 71.
Wednesday Night
A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 56.
Thursday
A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 74.

On 4/25/2019 at 10:53 PM, Jackstraw said:

And the saga of misery continues around here...

Tonight
Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Low around 48. Light north northeast wind becoming northwest 8 to 13 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
Friday
Showers likely, mainly before 9am. Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 61. Breezy, with a northwest wind 20 to 23 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 40. West northwest wind 7 to 15 mph.
Saturday
A 50 percent chance of showers after 2pm. Increasing clouds, with a high near 57. West southwest wind 5 to 8 mph becoming south in the afternoon. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Saturday Night
Showers likely, mainly between 8pm and 2am. Cloudy, with a low around 41. South southeast wind around 16 mph becoming west southwest after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Sunday
A 30 percent chance of showers before 8am. Partly sunny, with a high near 56.
Sunday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 40.
Monday
Showers likely, mainly after 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 61. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Monday Night
Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before 8pm, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 46. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Tuesday
A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 62.
Tuesday Night
A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Cloudy, with a low around 51.
Wednesday
A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 71.
Wednesday Night
A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 56.
Thursday
A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 74.

At this rate the Great Lakes will be one giant lake all the way to the Ohio River.

12 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

With the big late season snow just to the North I don't know if I'm jealous or pi$#%d.  Jealous cause I'm not in on the extreme event.  Pi$%#d cause this weather pattern is royally screwing my shroom season!  

I feel your pain

Chad Evans included these radar and velocity images in a writeup he did for the 25th anniversary of the 1994 West Lafayette F4 tornado.  It is a reminder that although more discrete supercells tend to be associated with a higher share of the violent tornadoes, that is not always the case.

This tornado passed through the northern and western portion of West Lafayette.  3 killed and dozens injured, but the outcome could very well have been even worse if it tracked farther south through the Purdue campus.

1994.thumb.jpg.deb9a81d7aad4b26d6a9028609a89e7e.jpg.d35efc9296af3adda2e1119544165041.jpg

1303576459_1994a.thumb.jpg.d2e5d618cb531ff574ff7962a4b067c7.jpg.43a671fa53ce97fdbd8bb09cbbf55e4f.jpg

• Like 1

I found 33 mushrooms today. They are pretty small, but I had to pick them as they will be underwater in the next day or two as they were near a bank-full creek and the reservoir is in flood control mode so the water is backing up into the creek valley. Looks like we may get 2-3 more inches by Thursday so may see some significant flooding in the area.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, IWXwx said:

I found 33 mushrooms today. They are pretty small, but I had to pick them as they will be underwater in the next day or two as they were near a bank-full creek and the reservoir is in flood control mode so the water is backing up into the creek valley. Looks like we may get 2-3 more inches by Thursday so may see some significant flooding in the area.

Just came back from daughters graduation at IWU, couldn't believe all the flooded farm fields across northern IN.   Lots of rain coming in for that area too....:yikes:

• Like 1

Congrats to your daughter on her graduation. She is now a Wildcat alumnus. A least you won't have to visit the dump that is Marion, IN any more, although it is a very nice campus.

It seems that the flooding rain path is slowly moving north with time. It slammed Southern IN and KY for a few weeks, we've had our turn, and today areas just north of here (and including portions of LOT's CWA) are getting hammered. Area farmers are singing the blues.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Congrats to your daughter on her graduation. She is now a Wildcat alumnus. A least you won't have to visit the dump that is Marion, IN any more, although it is a very nice campus.

It seems that the flooding rain path is slowly moving north with time. It slammed Southern IN and KY for a few weeks, we've had our turn, and today areas just north of here (and including portions of LOT's CWA) are getting hammered. Area farmers are singing the blues.

Yep the forecast Sat. was rather gloomy keeping us on the cool side of the systems coming through with lots of rain.  As you said models have slowly shifted north and also increasing our temps especially at night.  If that pans out think the next 7 days could be good shrooming albeit wet!  Thinking about heading up to Missenewa and Salomonie Friday.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Indystorm said:

Have NWS radars in many locations been hacked or are having tech problems this Monday April 29?  Many are down with weird reasons why.  Anyone else having problems?

Odd that the 88 for IND is down but the radar message says that it is up for service. Must be a network issue. Maybe IndyMeso will look in and give us a heads up. Or maybe not.

1 hour ago, bowtie` said:

Odd that the 88 for IND is down but the radar message says that it is up for service. Must be a network issue. Maybe IndyMeso will look in and give us a heads up. Or maybe not.

Sorry, I don't work for KIND. I did have troubles earlier accessing IND's radar, but didn't think anything of it. 

Leaving for the big island of Hawaii on Saturday. Has anyone ever traveled there? Any recommendations? 

It’s the last island on my list, have been to all the others, even the little ones like Molokai and Lanai. Volcanoes national park and Muana Kea are on the top of my list for when I do go, but I thought I’d chime in more from a weather perspective - island climo fascinates me. The differences between windward and leeward, and the little micro climates. Maui claims to have every climate on earth represented, the other islands are pretty close as well.

Saving the big island for winter, going to bring my skis and try to ski Muana Kea.
  • Like 1

Have to say most years the springs around here are just bad. It's been wetter than usual but the standard one nice sunny 65F day followed by mostly cloudy, rainy, 40s and low 50s is awful. The switch is coming though. About 3 weeks from now and click Memorial Day and temps jump from 40s,50s and a few 60s to 70s and 80s. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, luckyweather said:

It’s the last island on my list, have been to all the others, even the little ones like Molokai and Lanai. Volcanoes national park and Muana Kea are on the top of my list for when I do go, but I thought I’d chime in more from a weather perspective - island climo fascinates me. The differences between windward and leeward, and the little micro climates. Maui claims to have every climate on earth represented, the other islands are pretty close as well.

Saving the big island for winter, going to bring my skis and try to ski Muana Kea.

I plan to do the Manta Ray night snorkeling, we are renting a 4 * 4 Jeep to go up Muana Kea and stay there at night for the sunset and milky way observatory. I guess its one of the best places in the world to view it. We also are going to most of the big waterfall and rain forest hikes, and dedicating a day to Volcano national park. Debating on doing a helicopter tour as well, but its pricey. 

2 hours ago, Cary67 said:

Have to say most years the springs around here are just bad. It's been wetter than usual but the standard one nice sunny 65F day followed by mostly cloudy, rainy, 40s and low 50s is awful. The switch is coming though. About 3 weeks from now and click Memorial Day and temps jump from 40s,50s and a few 60s to 70s and 80s. 

Honestly that mid 60s day followed by rainy and 40s would be preferable to four days of 40s and rain followed by a sunny day in the 80s, rinse and repeat; been there before in May.

44 minutes ago, wisconsinwx said:

Haven't seen the sun or mid 50s even since Sunday.  It will be about time for a nice weekend weatherwise!

Yeah after a pretty nice week last week this whole week has just been blehh. At least the sun should be out for most of the weekend here and inland at least it might get near 70 on Saturday and Sunday.

16 hours ago, The_Doctor said:

Just came across this YouTube video of a tornado captured by a drone, taken yesterday. It is easily the coolest video I've watched in some time.

https://youtu.be/jD2cCJBDauA

Aww, cute widdle twister.

Looks like an EF-0, but given that it danced its way through prairie land, might be hard to survey and rate. I actually wouldn't mind hanging out with this tornado, it's just minding its own business and smiling for the camera.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Geoboy645 said:

Yeah after a pretty nice week last week this whole week has just been blehh. At least the sun should be out for most of the weekend here and inland at least it might get near 70 on Saturday and Sunday.

Yeah I feel like we were paying for the previous week’s chamber of commerce weather.

• Haha 1