Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2019 Complaint/Banter Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

1 hour ago, andyhb said:

We turn the calendar to April and a massive -NAO shows up. Oy f***ing vey.

I hear ya, but still plenty nice out here and will be through the next week. Just a little quieter than I like to see in spring. At least it's not snowing!

Hey, at least you can chase some high-based, pretty hailers this evening. If I was local I'd be all over that setup, but I'm not driving from WI to western OK for it even if I were on vacation!

Just some observations for those looking for solid severe/chasing prospects or sustained warmth...

We are currently transitioning from one bad pattern to another. The pattern we are leaving has been dominated by a +PNA/-EPO/stagnant COD MJO. The pattern we are now entering will be dominated by a -NAO/+PNA/stagnant COD MJO, which will likely last through mid-month, and potentially beyond in a varying degree.

Essentially that means any sig severe/chasing prospects are slim to none for all but maybe the Dixie Ally or nearby. Additionally, we'll likely continue to see the roller-coaster temps wise continue as well. This -NAO/-PNA/-AO pattern might also help push out some April snow for some.

Beyond mid-month things get a bit iffy obviously, but there looks to be more support for a continued not so great teleconnection pattern. The big thing that needs to change is getting the MJO moving and out of the COD, which is where it has been since March 13th.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, NegativeEPO said:

Considering highs might not get out of the 30s and 40s for the next two weeks after next Tuesday, it's definitely possible that negative departures won't be too far off last April. especially in regards to highs.

You must live in Canada.

Next total solar eclipse in the US is 5 years from today.  Would be nice to have weather like today.

There will be a couple solar eclipses for the sub prior to that... non-total of course.  June 2021 is a morning/sunrise eclipse that will occur in a good chunk of the region.  I intend to go to a place along Lake Michigan for that one... would look great with the sun rising.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Next total solar eclipse in the US is 5 years from today.  Would be nice to have weather like today.

There will be a couple solar eclipses for the sub prior to that... non-total of course.  June 2021 is a morning/sunrise eclipse that will occur in a good chunk of the region.  I intend to go to a place along Lake Michigan for that one... would look great with the sun rising.

I will be 66 and will hopefully be retired by then. I may have to drive 15 miles to my southeast to truly get the total eclipse but will probably just be watching from my back yard. :sizzle:

2024 Solar Eclipse.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Not for me though, it was overcast and now today is day 5 of total cloudiness. Anytime someone during February says "well March and April will soon be here and it'll be nice and spring-like" I just chuckle and go "no". The awful weather doesn't end until mid-May usually.

If I was 15 miles away from solar eclipse totality I'd crawl to it if I had to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

I will be 66 and will hopefully be retired by then. I may have to drive 15 miles to my southeast to truly get the total eclipse but will probably just be watching from my back yard. :sizzle:

2024 Solar Eclipse.png

As someone who witnessed the total in 2017, I'd highly recommend getting into the totality zone.  Being in the 99% area seems like it would be pretty much the same as 100%, but it's not.  There's significant dimming at 99%+ but I couldn't believe how rapidly the surroundings changed in the final seconds.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Torchageddon said:

Not for me though, it was overcast and now today is day 5 of total cloudiness. Anytime someone during February says "well March and April will soon be here and it'll be nice and spring-like" I just chuckle and go "no". The awful weather doesn't end until mid-May usually.

Hopefully everybody will have nice weather.  Probably an unrealistic thought for that time of year though.  :(

Btw, this will be the only total in the 21st century to pass through Mexico, US and Canada.  

1 hour ago, Torchageddon said:

I suggest you book a trip to Dallas or Austin.