• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Spring/Summer 2019 Complaint/Banter Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

well it looks like you can kiss a warm April goodbye, might be even worse than last year, I think. In fact, I think this entire year might be the one of the coldest on record by a long shot for the eastern half of the country. Wouldn't surprise me if we see some snow in June. It's one of the consequences of climate change unfortunately. Years like 2012 may never be seen in the midwest/east ever again.

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, NegativeEPO said:

well it looks like you can kiss a warm April goodbye, might be even worse than last year, I think. In fact, I think this entire year might be the one of the coldest on record by a long shot for the eastern half of the country. Wouldn't surprise me if we see some snow in June. It's one of the consequences of climate change unfortunately. Years like 2012 may never be seen in the midwest/east ever again.

I'm gonna go with no.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, NegativeEPO said:

Alek? Guest? Is negativeEPO your alterego this year?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

lol on many levels

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NegativeEPO said:

Is this the same person that threatened to scream at every person in the state of Illinois because it didn't snow enough this past winter? Either way, I am impressed by the sheer dedication to hyperbole and drama in this thread! 

• Haha 1

On 3/21/2019 at 7:19 PM, NegativeEPO said:

It was cold in a lot of earlier 1900s years. In the 3, 5, or 10 year average, definitely colder though. 

• Like 1

Am I allowed to complain about the fantasy range on the forecast models? Reason being is that all of that snow for my area on the GFS/FV3 (and even a bit on the Euro) is a bit frightening. I don't think my morale can handle another "winter in April" like last year, and my plants certainly wouldn't appreciate it either.

notagain.thumb.png.c001f7cc7aa1ba0690a474ee61d255bb.png

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Just spent an hour or so reading the 6/22/16 event thread.  I'm ready for severe weather/chase season.  :guitar:

I'm also hoping that thunderstorm season gets going around here soon. This is my last spring in the Midwest before I move to the West Coast at the end of summer, so hopefully I can experience a couple more thunderstorm events! The West Coast is definitely a downgrade in terms of weather I find interesting (thunderstorms and snowstorms) but the atmospheric river events will hopefully keep me engaged at least. One thing I will not miss is the cold winters. Consecutive 10 degree days has really gotten old for me, especially since I have to walk around in it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's almost comical, like clockwork I got a horrible headache on March 21st and had another one this morning. To say that I hate Spring would be a gross understatement. We have 4 seasons, Winter, allergy, summer, and fall. I'll take another Winter in April like last year.  In fact I will take that every year. Everything dormant then in the 1st week of May everything exploded.  The more gradual the Spring green up is, the worse allergies are.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

It's almost comical, like clockwork I got a horrible headache on March 21st and had another one this morning. To say that I hate Spring would be a gross understatement. We have 4 seasons, Winter, allergy, summer, and fall. I'll take another Winter in April like last year.  In fact I will take that every year. Everything dormant then in the 1st week of May everything exploded.  The more gradual the Spring green up is, the worse allergies are.

yah I noticed that as well for my allergies last year. Last years spring was one of my favorites ever. I loved how it went from cold to warm and hot in literally a couple days and stayed there. Cant recall ever seeing a pattern suddenly flip like that in that way. Before April 30th Indy only had 4 70 degree days then boom 75 on the 30th and never looked back as May was warmest on record every high temp was over 72 that month

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 4:25 PM, michsnowfreak said:

You would take winter in April over sensible spring weather in April? You're definitely in the minority.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2018 at 1:06 PM, on_wx said:

I cant even imagine what that must have been like! That radar shot is wicked especially if that's 5 or so hours after it started. 2000 was a huge year for floods IIRC so not surprised by your accounts. I'll see what I can do about ordering some radar shots or loops but it wont be for a couple weeks. I'm really curious now!

This was from the 2018 Spring/Summer Banter thread, did you get anywhere with that? The date was May 12, 2000.

On 5/14/2018 at 1:38 AM, Harry Perry said:

I’m pretty sure the storm you’re talking about is the same storm I remember as well. I just looked it up a couple of months ago.

We we had a stationary boundry/warm front slowly advancing north. Had a 20% chance of an isolated storm. At this age, I was glued to the local radar channel in hopes to see a spec of green and red form lol... Against the odds, one lone storm developed just off the Lake Michigan shoreline near South Haven.. it developed pretty quickly and then went severe warmed shortly after. It was moving almost due east and was following the Van Buren/Allegan county line. My grandparents lived in Bedford, Michigan - just north of Battle Creek and roughly a mile or so from the county line (Calhoun county/Barry county which is due east from where this storm was coming from). “Let’s go to grandpa and grandmas and watch the storm”, my mom said. Remember it like yesterday. My mother and I jumped into the car around sunset and made the 20 minute drive... on the way, just before dark, we crossed a Veterans Memorial bridge that gave quite a good view from all angles, I remember seeing prolific lightning to the WNW... and then I saw a flash to the north and then another to the SW. I knew at this point storms were developing everywhere near that boundry. Got to my grandparents and the lightning was nearly constant. Went inside and looked at the radar - I couldn’t believe my eyes. There were three tornado warnings and a handful of severe thunderstorm warnings; storms everywhere exploding (severe weather wasn’t expected). The storm grew closer - steady rumbler and continuous lightning by now. Sirens went off and another tornado warning was issued for Calhoun County. I remember the local Mets saying “if you’re in Bedford - TAKE COVER NOW! 85MPH winds were being reported in Hickory Corners (only about 15-20 minutes to my West). At the same time, the specific radar was set on velocity with the rotating cones to show rotation in place of the hook. There were three inbound with several peppered around. First legit time in my life I thought the big one was coming. Power flickered - lightning was the most intense I’ve witnessed to date. Every strike sounded like it was within a few hundred feet of the house.

Picked up nearly four inches of rain, lost five healthy large trees and several downed lines. We didn’t make it back home until close to 1AM and the ONLY way I remembered what year it was - the song that was on the radio on the way home after the broadcaster talked about some of the damage reports he was getting from around the area - It was Dilemma by Nelly lol. Came out in the summer of 2002 - became a hit in the spring/summer of 2003.

The storms eventually prompted a small tornado watch as well. It was only from Barry County to Maccomb and south to the MI/IN/OH border. High winds and dangerous lightning moved across the state that night, and it was 85° and miserable the next day. I’ll look again and see if I can’t find the date and radar. I remember finding it and couldn’t believe I actually found it. Those storms stuck out in my head a lot like May 29th 2011 did. Oddly enough, both events were due to a quasi-stationary boundry with shortwaves riding along it - similar to our current pattern.

IIRC, I had to be on my computer to pull the data and radar images/loop from IEM (Iowa Environmental Mesonet Archive), my phone couldn’t do it. 

Did you ever figure out what the date of that severe thunderstorm event was? Summer 2003 is all I know (I think either in July/August). Those reading from around MI or southern ON know of a prolific lightning producer that period?

43 minutes ago, NegativeEPO said:

Why is this subforum so quiet compared to the others? Awfully boring in here to be honest, especially compared to the New England subforum, which seems to have posts every minute.

You should go post there...Would be a solid addition.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Why is this subforum so quiet compared to the others? Awfully boring in here to be honest, especially compared to the New England subforum, which seems to have posts every minute.

The weenie density is high over there.