Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring 2019 Banter Thread

Stormlover74

2 hours ago, etudiant said:

Think downtown Ft Worth next door was hit by a tornado a couple of decades ago. Iirc, it broke a lot of glass, but there were few casualties.

I think that was an F2 or 3. An EF5 is orders of magnitude more powerful. That’s the ultimate disaster scenario for weather. If and when it ever happens.

OKC lucked out with that El Reno tornado, imagine being plowed by a mammoth EF5 (technically an “EF3” with 300mph winds) wider than Manhattan. I can’t even conceptualize what a strike of that magnitude would’ve done to a major city, thankfully it happened in the middle of nowhere.

If I lived in Oklahoma my nerves would be shot right now thinking about what tomorrow holds.

13 hours ago, Cfa said:

OKC lucked out with that El Reno tornado, imagine being plowed by a mammoth EF5 (technically an “EF3” with 300mph winds) wider than Manhattan. I can’t even conceptualize what a strike of that magnitude would’ve done to a major city, thankfully it happened in the middle of nowhere.

If I lived in Oklahoma my nerves would be shot right now thinking about what tomorrow holds.

At least El Reno would have gotten its rightful EF5 rating if it had hit anything more than grain silos. 

8 hours ago, bluewave said:

Remarkable to see another record low pressure storm system this spring in the Rockies and Plains. The fire hose Pacific Jet is truly on steroids.

https://www.weather.gov/ict/event_20190313

https://mobile.twitter.com/burgwx/status/1130311773171716096

AAE0C0FE-D299-4666-83C3-41714042AB39.thumb.png.7c6e4632bd46bb2b594eb775c57567a1.png

I had friends in Tahoe skiing nearly knee deep yesterday and this morning it was snowing and sticking above 8k in Arizona. By early afternoon they had enough that people were up skiing on north faces that were still holding snow from the winter and it looks good, like late March good.

28 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I had friends in Tahoe skiing nearly knee deep yesterday and this morning it was snowing and sticking above 8k in Arizona. By early afternoon they had enough that people were up skiing on north faces that were still holding snow from the winter and it looks good, like late March good.

You know the Pacific Jet is going bonkers when.......The US sets a new wettest 12 month record and NYC only gets around 3 inches of snow during DJF.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

You know the Pacific Jet is going bonkers when.......The US sets a new wettest 12 month record and NYC only gets around 3 inches of snow during DJF.

Lol that was a disaster.  The November and March storms saved this Winter from being one of the worst ever here.  Spring, as has been the trend, started off slow and has been very wet.  Now we jump into warmth and get severe weather.  I'm sure the last couple days were welcomed by many of us nonetheless.

23 minutes ago, uncle W said:

a blast from the past...73 years ago yesterday...

A year before I was born and 14 years before the mid air collision over the narrows. My father used to call one of the skyline scrappers the green building. Growing up, I remember it’s pinnacle was somehow green lit. I wonder if that was the one? As always ...

1 hour ago, rclab said:

A year before I was born and 14 years before the mid air collision over the narrows. My father used to call one of the skyline scrappers the green building. Growing up, I remember it’s pinnacle was somehow green lit. I wonder if that was the one? As always ...

40 wall tower.jpg

• Thanks 1

A bit off topic....but has anyone else noticed that London Plane Trees across the area appear to be dying out in droves? 

It’s most noticeable in the city as it’s the most common street tree, tons of dry/dead foliage, trees are barely green or completely dead altogether. Last week a large branch fell on a tourist in Manhattan.

This is occurring on Long Island as well, however they’re far less abundant, so it isn’t as big of an issue as it is for NYC.

3 hours ago, Cfa said:

A bit off topic....but has anyone else noticed that London Plane Trees across the area appear to be dying out in droves? 

It’s most noticeable in the city as it’s the most common street tree, tons of dry/dead foliage, trees are barely green or completely dead altogether. Last week a large branch fell on a tourist in Manhattan.

This is occurring on Long Island as well, however they’re far less abundant, so it isn’t as big of an issue as it is for NYC.

Maybe this?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2019/05/21/fungal-disease-may-have-caused-tree-limb-to-fall-on-washington-square-park-visitor/amp/

The sycamore in my area have it as well. They should leave out soon; mine is underway. It's likely do the wet conditions/decaying leaves from last year. Fungal spores seem to effect their first leaf out. 

They are generally resilient trees. They can handle the salt from winter road clean up and the less than optimal air quality of the city areas. 

I’m down in Gettysburg. Pretty sick line of severe thunderstorms to my South. Got missed to the North earlier. Anyway sky is black to my South with the sun shining overhead and some visible lightning. Not used to being able to see these towers from so close with little obstructions.