Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring 2019 Banter Thread

Stormlover74

10 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

Boy that comes as a surprise.  Normally I would miss it a bit, but this year it was so bad that I'm 100% ready for spring.

Give me 100s, Sun, Sand ,Ocean and days riding my bike, and nights sitting outside smoking a nice cigar............. AC season is closing in, my phone is already beginning to ring......

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dave0176 said:

Give me 100s, Sun, Sand ,Ocean and days riding my bike, and nights sitting outside smoking a nice cigar............. AC season is closing in, my phone is already beginning to ring......

Sounds perfect-maybe add a cold beer or two to refresh yourself during the heat of the day

15 hours ago, gravitylover said:

No 100's ;) Alright? High 80's is ok. Riding a bike kinda sux when it's really hot.

You can build up a tolerance for it, if you drink lots of water etc. The humidity is a killer though. I've done rides in the low 90s with relatively low humidity. If you're not trying to race up hills its not so bad. Last summer I rode very little cuz it was always extremely humid. 75+ dewpoints seemed almost daily at one point. Even temps in the low 80s wit that humidity it was hard to do any activity beyond stand still.

11 hours ago, dWave said:

You can build up a tolerance for it, if you drink lots of water etc. The humidity is a killer though. I've done rides in the low 90s with relatively low humidity. If you're not trying to race up hills its not so bad. Last summer I rode very little cuz it was always extremely humid. 75+ dewpoints seemed almost daily at one point. Even temps in the low 80s wit that humidity it was hard to do any activity beyond stand still.

Until I get to move to the FL Keys I don't want to build up a tolerance for it. ;)  Yeah I didn't ride much last year either because of the weather and a busted left hand that made it difficult to hold a handlebar. I paid for the inactivity with a heart attack in December due to laziness and lost fitness :(  So see what ya can do about keeping the humidity down this year so I can get out and ride more comfortably would ya please :) 

22 hours ago, dWave said:

July 1999 was probably one of my more difficult bike rides on the LB boardwalk. That was the last time around the area with 100 degrees and a 75 dew point combined. I guess it’s a small consolation that all the 75 dew point days since then stayed below 100 degrees. Our big run of 100 degree days from 2010 to 2013 were mostly drier heat. The major run of 75 degree dew points since 2015 were wetter with clouds and onshore flow keeping temperatures below 100 degrees.

On 4/3/2019 at 11:34 PM, gravitylover said:

Until I get to move to the FL Keys I don't want to build up a tolerance for it. ;)  Yeah I didn't ride much last year either because of the weather and a busted left hand that made it difficult to hold a handlebar. I paid for the inactivity with a heart attack in December due to laziness and lost fitness :(  So see what ya can do about keeping the humidity down this year so I can get out and ride more comfortably would ya please :) 

Florida has a horrendous climate.  100+ with low humidity is far better than low to mid 90s with high humidity.  High heat/low humidity weather is VERY therapeutic!

On 4/4/2019 at 9:49 AM, bluewave said:

July 1999 was probably one of my more difficult bike rides on the LB boardwalk. That was the last time around the area with 100 degrees and a 75 dew point combined. I guess it’s a small consolation that all the 75 dew point days since then stayed below 100 degrees. Our big run of 100 degree days from 2010 to 2013 were mostly drier heat. The major run of 75 degree dew points since 2015 were wetter with clouds and onshore flow keeping temperatures below 100 degrees.

That was one of my all-time favorite summer months!  My list includes July 1993, 1999, 2010, 2011

45 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

That was one of my all-time favorite summer months!  My list includes July 1993, 1999, 2010, 2011

I believe the HX near 115 at JFK on 7-5-99 was the all-time record.

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/plotting/auto/?_wait=no&q=11&network=NY_ASOS&zstation=JFK&year=1999&emphasis=-99&var=feel&opt=touches&dpi=100&_fmt=png

1999-07-05 114.919

EF54664C-A582-451A-A706-33039A07ADCF.png.c0dc608cdb1d9111a07a7a53971b65ea.png

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I think even Long Beach hit 100 or higher on that day!  That summer we had some kind of bird flu epidemic, I remember seeing dead crows in my backyard.  I've seen that in some other very hot summers too.