Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Discussion

Torch Tiger

Just now, powderfreak said:

Says the dude who gets off on air conditioning blasting away in the windows ;).  

I love it, natural air conditioning for a few hours at night.  It's like 30F warmer by 9am anyway.  It's only 40s usually at like 1-5am.  Windows cracked and taking the humidity out of the house.

Yeah I’m with you. Those are the best. I don’t radiate at all at my house, but my in-laws live in a rural area and it’s amazing in their screened in porch. It cools off quick. Recent summers sort of lost those crisp nights. It’s been awhile since we’ve had routine cold fronts come in and beat the heat. It seems like around July 4th we flip a switch and don’t look back.

13 hours ago, Bostonseminole said:

Agree there, 60's with low dews every summer evening would be awesome

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Honestly that's what most evenings are like up north...it's not like 48F at 8-9pm when it's still light out.  

Evenings around the fire pit at like 60F...it hits 40s for a couple hours when everyone is sleeping and it's just enough to cool off the house.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah I’m with you. Those are the best. I don’t radiate at all at my house, but my in-laws live in a rural area and it’s amazing in their screened in porch. It cools off quick. Recent summers sort of lost those crisp nights. It’s been awhile since we’ve had routine cold fronts come in and beat the heat. It seems like around July 4th we flip a switch and don’t look back.

Some people on the forum see a low of 46F and assume it was that temp at dinner time on a summer evening.  It hits it at 4:48am and it's like 60+ again by 8am.  

Or they can crank away their A/C all night...to each their own, lol.  I'd give Kev more credit if he had windows wide open filling his house with 70/70 air at night but don't play this "We love hot humid nights" while he sits inside in the A/C paying money to keep it cool.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Some people on the forum see a low of 46F and assume it was that temp at dinner time on a summer evening.  It hits it at 4:48am and it's like 60+ again by 8am.  

Or they can crank away their A/C all night...to each their own, lol.  I'd give Kev more credit if he had windows wide open filling his house with 70/70 air at night but don't play this "We love hot humid nights" while he sits inside in the A/C paying money to keep it cool.

This is how we A/C.

coolnights.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

Every single one of us wants warm with at least moderate dews, we all have a different way of expressing it.

Lol, Mother Nature doesn’t give a fuk what everyone wants, It’s Napril and it still snows, There will be plenty of warmth and moderate dews in July.

Just now, dryslot said:

Lol, Mother Nature doesn’t give a fuk what everyone wants, It’s Napril and it still snows, There will be plenty of warmth and moderate dews in July.

This time of year I want 60/10 with an RH of under 10%. Dry this crap out.

My yard finally started to melt out the permafrost yesterday. The ground sank back down and all of the meltwater raised back up out of the ground and flooded my run despite little snow remaining and a sunny day. It was froze down pretty good though because my 6" sensor is still stuck at 32F.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

My yard finally started to melt out the permafrost yesterday. The ground sank back down and all of the meltwater raised back up out of the ground and flooded my run despite little snow remaining and a sunny day. It was froze down pretty good though because my 6" sensor is still stuck at 32F.

I would prefer the snow to stay in the mountains and Northern areas this time of year, But Mother nature like i said doesn't care what we want, Frost still an issue here, At this time of year, Its heaves the ramp to the shed up so high i cant get the doors open until its gone, Overnight models here ramped up the snow for the "Maine Special" to warning criteria even here, 06z Euro is 8-10" Mon-Tues.

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

You had better snow depth than I did this winter and we had the same thing down here.  I think the ground froze deeper than usual this winter.  I was blaming it on the lack of insulating snow here but if you had the same thing, I don't know.  It was good for my maple season, that's all I know.  ;)

7 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I would prefer the snow to stay in the mountains and Northern areas this time of year, But Mother nature like i said doesn't care what we want, Frost still an issue here, At this time of year, Its heaves the ramp to the shed up so high i cant get the doors open until its gone, Overnight models here ramped up the snow for the "Maine Special" to warning criteria even here, 06z Euro is 8-10" Mon-Tues.

gfs_namer_141_10m_wnd_precip.gif

Floods to Farnham

1 minute ago, MetHerb said:

You had better snow depth than I did this winter and we had the same thing down here.  I think the ground froze deeper than usual this winter.  I was blaming it on the lack of insulating snow here but if you had the same thing, I don't know.  It was good for my maple season, that's all I know.  ;)

The syrup has still been poor up here. Last year on this date my soil was 36/34. I'm still flatlined at 32...maybe today we finally break through. I'm not really sure what made it freeze so deep this season. Our biggest cold shots tended to occur with a depth near a foot. The time we dipped to 5-6" it was cold, but nothing high end.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

The syrup has still been poor up here. Last year on this date my soil was 36/34. I'm still flatlined at 32...maybe today we finally break through. I'm not really sure what made it freeze so deep this season. Our biggest cold shots tended to occur with a depth near a foot. The time we dipped to 5-6" it was cold, but nothing high end.

Up here it seemed like we had constant snow cover start the second week of November before the ground even froze.  

Places that have melted out are just soaked, footprints sink in like 3-4" even into the grass.  Classic spring time though in town where shady spots are still a foot, maybe more, but sunny areas are breaking out of the snow. 

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Euro and GGEM absolutely smoke places like LEW in Maine it seems like in the next few days too.

Been busy this past week cleaning up the damage from a flooded basement so I really wasn’t paying much attention until just the last day or so but man that’s a lot of paste here.

15 minutes ago, dendrite said:

New Brunswick is looking for a banner season.  I would think that Maine and Quebec can't be that far behind.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/maple-syrup-bumper-crop-1.5085868

Last year was interesting because places south of Canada had a pretty good year but Canada not so much.

Snowblower coming off today. Screw mother nature

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

That Euro run is garbage beyond D5 ... 6 though.  It's trying to run a suppressed storm track that is concomitant with a west-base -NAO.  Unfortunately ...without actually employing a -NAO. 

Either the spatial layout of positive geopotential anomalies N and NE of NE's latitude evolve more positive between now and then, else that system ends up in the Lakes hopper just like so many fated before ...

It's been an insidious sort of secondary emergent property that we've been battling ...since the snow event and cold snap of November it would more than merely seem.  The character of that property goes by the age old trope: 'what can go wrong always does'.  

There's like a normal bust quota. The normal positive versus negative production curve ... Technically ... being off 2 or 3 F on a high is a bust.. Oh, we don't call it that... because the significance could not be more trivial - unless the trivial number means the difference between a foot of snow and 1.2" of cold rain; then the fires of busted Hell has no fury!  Heh, it just exposes the subjectivity of it all... 

Excluding that perception versus reality for a moment... if an event in question's result is satisfactorily reflecting the outlook-induced imagination of what it should..  ( save for Kevin - who believes that falling short of an 'apocalyptic nice' 72/50 afternoon means negative bust and so everything is automatically... ) it doesn't get labeled that way.  Every single system that is designed by the models, out in time, verifies with some aspect of positive versus negative production ... Simply a matter of significance and whether it is noticeable or not...

Since November?   The ballast of either event distinction has squarely scatter-plotted on the negative side of the results bell curve. 

What's interesting ... it's not a snow thing...or a cold thing...or a hot thing... It's just get it wrong at least excuse imaginable thing, where the 'wrongness' is always sloped in the direction no one wants.  Amazing.  Moreover... banal and uninspired... insipid and torpid.  

Except for the Mountains...  good local-scaled "enabling" Pleistocene mimic -winter for a > 1,000 K elevation and above the 45th parallel. 

Time sensitive ...but this is amazing looking...

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?parms=subregional-New_England-02-24-1-100-1&checked=map&colorbar=undefined

check out those striations propagating rapidly eastward as they arc from NW to SE thru eastern upstate NY...

They may yet get you some sun even up near mid/central regions as ...whatever that is, it is clearing smartly as it ripples through the flow... Speaking of rippling - tell me that doesn't look like the ring-wake after a stone hits a placid pond.  Some sort of g-wave maybe... not sure...

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The NAM is frigid tomorrow for dendrite on north. 

I know... 

you know, it seems sort of antithetic to climate for that bulb of cold air to hang precipitously south in the pressure contouring like that, and not have it come rollin' south to Atlantic City, NY ...but the models have been really persistent with that - still doesn't mean they can't be in error, of course.   It's like 'duck', ha