• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April Discussion

Torch Tiger

I assume everything about this structure has been documented precisely and can be rebuilt/recreated. Very sad to see especially the glass work. The history of these grand European cathedrals is amazing.

Just now, Tom12309 said:

The picture I saw looked like there was staging up so maybe they were working on something and it went terribly wrong.  What a loss for everyone but I feel so bad for the people for who it was their church.

There is/was  renovation work ongoing. Current speculation is that perhaps the renovation work caused the fire.

just read a tweet that Tim Kelley retweeted which makes it weather related...I may have been premature in my comment regarding rebuild..."The roof structure, original, all wood, whose construction is still not fully understood by modern scientists, is itself a priceless monument."

22 minutes ago, butterfish55 said:
30 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:
Geez on with the jaded remarks about perhaps the most beautiful building in the world burning down.
Perhaps old favorite alter boys of Father In . If so totally understand.

It's mind boggling. What is wrong with some people?

Many people have lost their  appreciation for things in life. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

just think ... in a million years, there will be no trace that Humanity ever existed, as the peregrinations of all reducing factors in a universe intrinsically fated to finality ... will have long since reduced it to ashes too -

When the sun dies there will be no earth left either. 

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Geez on with the jaded remarks about perhaps the most beautiful building in the world burning down.

Centuries of extraordinary sustained human endeavor erased today. Imagine the kind of unity of purpose it takes to plan a project spanning centuries. Generations lived, labored and died without the satisfaction of seeing it even close to complete. How many hundreds of skilled craftsmen willingly gave their lives to build it? Is there any project comparable today? The LHC is probably the most ambitious I can think of and that was done in a few decades. Think of how many wars, rebellions, conflagrations and other close scrapes it survived. Truly a major loss to our common heritage. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The building is mostly stone. It sounds like they also were able to save several glass windows. It wasn’t s total loss from what I gather. The roof and steeple obviously are gone.

Early reports... someone had a wee bit too much wine during that 3.5 hour lunch they get ..

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

The movie "Spotlight" was about my high school.  One of my high school friends and I used to always joke about some of the priests and teachers we thought were pedos.  Turns out we were absolutely right.   And yeah, wasn't just clergy involved.  

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

My feelings/views have been entirely non-secular.  This Cathedral is an Architectural marvel and masterpiece.  I despise the Roman Catholic Church for what it is.

7 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

The movie "Spotlight" was about my high school.  One of my high school friends and I used to always joke about some of the priests and teachers we thought were pedos.  Turns out we were absolutely right.   And yeah, wasn't just clergy involved.  

It was (and continues to be) a truly evil and sick blotch on the church.  I am very conflicted as a practicing Catholic (well, somewhat practicing).  Turns my stomach and enrages me. I am very sorry that it affected you.

I can not deny the beauty of the building that burned though. That is a great loss.