• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April Discussion

Torch Tiger

Starting to think the whole month is 86'ed for spring enthusiasts... 

Oh, we'll bootleg a faux warm day here and there...Like Saturday perhaps... and in fact, maybe even legit mild, ...but it will crash return to another sub-normal chilly onslaught that lasts two or three times as long ...

Seems the pattern is hell-bent on getting us to May 1 if not actually neggie on month, by common experience, seemingly so... 

I was hoping we would break the string of poorer forming springs... What will this be, 5 in a row where April's drew shades and forced people to change hobbies if not careers ?   But going back several years ... ( and I don't count those weird oddities in February last year, or the March warm up the year before as those are stand-alone anomalies) springs have been behaving badly...  

I'm just trying to separate how that "bad" compares to standard bad, or if it was even worse.  I am heading down a subjective road with this banter, granted,... .but it just seems to me that maybe this is the way April is supposed to be in New England... utter piece of shit month ...and perhaps we just got spoiled by a couple good years like 2009 - 2012...seemed those springs were uncharacteristically better. 

OH, and ur not getting snow either below a goshawk's perch

12 minutes ago, alex said:

I posted it in the other thread but aside from the temperature, the skiing today was outstanding. Firm surface underneath with a few inches of powder on top. Even the glades skied nicely. Incredible that the glades have been open non stop since November 

051683D7-C3F9-400A-83D1-D31DE157A803.thumb.jpeg.e8761aee1a52d2d8e1db28f911c77e38.jpeg

AA9E7378-B390-4D52-B0E4-2F6255A203DD.jpeg

Looks so so sweet

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Beautiful Tom, real gods country.  Impressive low max record 

The only camp we'll ever have - no lake nearby but lots of woods.

Farmington co-op's latest 20s max is 4/13, and their latest max of 32 or lower the 19th - during a 9" snowstorm in 1967.  (8 days later I had 3" in NNJ.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Rain and door up here.

Though it may put me under Scooter's troll bridge, I hope that any serious RA is cold.  Dry and mild with subfreezing nights are the way to send the snowpack downriver.  Add 5-10° to ideal sugaring wx and we avoid significant floods.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Though it may put me under Scooter's troll bridge, I hope that any serious RA is cold.  Dry and mild with subfreezing nights are the way to send the snowpack downriver.  Add 5-10° to ideal sugaring wx and we avoid significant floods.

Down this way we had a very wet Winter with lots of rain and the ground is saturated. Hopefully the snowmelt coming down this way isn't along with heavy rain. Most of the river flooding around here is minor with a heavily impounded river.

50 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I don't understand anyone who isn't some sort of troll under a bridge, would want a sh*tty April.

I mean this has just been brutal.  -SN and 32F at home now.  In October this is awesome.  In April after a long winter, bring on the jugs and mugs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

I mean this has just been brutal.  -SN and 32F at home now.  In October this is awesome.  In April after a long winter, bring on the jugs and mugs.

It’s low 40s and windy here so not much better. Only reason it’s above 40 is due to some sun from time to time. 

I don’t mean 80s and 90s,  but 60s-70s is perfect. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

We wish but no

download (14).png

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I was skiing at Cannon Mountain around this time last year and it was 3F when we woke up in the morning. I agree with you about wanting it to end.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Good but with Eastern Canada locked in... 

Eh, this time of year as long as we have sun, blue at 850-500 turn into oranges at the surface. What kills us is the raw NE flow. We can get just pure cold, but not sure that’s in the cards. It’s defintely not a jugs and mugs look though.